Old 07-18-2020, 09:43 AM

Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Discraft Mids Comet v Buzzz

I've never tried the comet. I have a few different buzzz. My most understable is a esp that flies similar to a mako3. How would a z comet compare? Will it fly mostly straight? Does it perform just as well under low ceilings? Would an esp comet be a good understable compliment to a straighter z? Etc. For reference, I toss the buzzz around 300ft. I understand there are profile differences between the discs.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2020, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 199
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 974 Times in 612 Posts

A Z or ESP Comet aren't as different as you might think. I tend to like Z because I've always liked Z for most molds.

Comets in general like more air under them than Buzzzes. There are Comet gurus out there that can pull off the laser Comet shot, but that has never been my gig. And of course, Comets require good, smooth form to pull off their magic.

In summary, get one and try it out. Or two. Or more.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 65
Niced 220 Times in 154 Posts

The comet requires finnesse and uses glide to navigate low ceilings. The Buzzz uses a little more speed.

When my form was at its best I found there to be a but of overlap between them, these days I dont throw quite as smooth and prefer a buzzz on an open fairway when I want to rip on it hard and not worry about oat as much.

The comet is still in my bag for touchier shots and late turning shots. I carry a flatter esp than I used to prefer.

With comets more dome usually means more stable. Domey comets are the ones you want for dead straight lazer beams.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Old 07-18-2020, 10:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Comets need some to fully do their magic. IS domey Z or. A domey X are magicical... do not be afraid of X... it is the Comet of Comets.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,531 Times in 883 Posts

Hellfire, auto correct strikes again, and I got a call so I ran out of edit time.

Domey Z or X comets are magic, and I use a Relay(Squall) for the long low ceiling tunnel shots mentioned above.

When I have attempted to put a Buzzz back in my bag, it never got used.

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 07-18-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:28 AM
* Ace Member *

The squall is an amazing disc for those shots. Step up from the comet in speed helps with the low ceilings

Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 165
Niced 196 Times in 133 Posts

Definitely get yourself a Comet and try it out, you won’t regret it. For the most part, it is slower than the Buzzz and relies more on glide and ceiling. I carry both. My ESP has a nice combination of grip and stability.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:42 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,645 Times in 1,316 Posts

For me there is a pretty significant difference from the Comet-type "throws like a putter with glide" mids and the "throws like a shorter driver" Buzzz-type discs. One is not necessarily better than the other, they just fit different throwing styles. I know some people bag both types i.e. carry both a Buzzz and a Comet, but personally I just stick to the Roc/Comet-type mids. My throwing just doesn't adapt well to a Buzzz.

Sticking to that philosophy, to me a faster tweener disc like the Squall would fit better with a Buzzz than a Comet would. I love Comets and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying one, but realistically they are not for everyone.

Which...that's probably why there are 4,567 mids on the market right now, eh? Something for everyone...

Niced: (2)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
For me there is a pretty significant difference from the Comet-type "throws like a putter with glide" mids and the "throws like a shorter driver" Buzzz-type discs. One is not necessarily better than the other, they just fit different throwing styles. I know some people bag both types i.e. carry both a Buzzz and a Comet, but personally I just stick to the Roc/Comet-type mids. My throwing just doesn't adapt well to a Buzzz.

Sticking to that philosophy, to me a faster tweener disc like the Squall would fit better with a Buzzz than a Comet would. I love Comets and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying one, but realistically they are not for everyone.

Which...that's probably why there are 4,567 mids on the market right now, eh? Something for everyone...
I agree a lot. There is room for both, but there is surely overlap. I love gila-comet. I am toying with a buzzz in the mix too, now that we finally have more stable finishing Buzzz available. I am not sure there is actually room.

I love the Kaxe as well, and it was amazing when it was my mid and fairway. No room for it between a gila and teebird though

Old 07-18-2020, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 606 Times in 312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Vegeta View Post
I've never tried the comet. I have a few different buzzz. My most understable is a esp that flies similar to a mako3. How would a z comet compare? Will it fly mostly straight? Does it perform just as well under low ceilings? Would an esp comet be a good understable compliment to a straighter z? Etc. For reference, I toss the buzzz around 300ft. I understand there are profile differences between the discs.

Thanks.
I would compliment a fresh Z Buzzz with a Buzzz SS or Meteor. They seem more user/release friendly and faster than a Comet.

Niced: (1)