Old 07-18-2020, 12:13 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3,646 Times in 1,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdirtykid View Post
I agree a lot. There is room for both, but there is surely overlap. I love gila-comet. I am toying with a buzzz in the mix too, now that we finally have more stable finishing Buzzz available. I am not sure there is actually room.

I love the Kaxe as well, and it was amazing when it was my mid and fairway. No room for it between a gila and teebird though

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Something like a Gila clicks for me because what a Gila does is something a Comet isn't great at. I mean you CAN throw those shots with a Comet if you are good, but I've never claimed to be good. That makes it a good pairing of discs that do different things well. The Buzzz/Comet thing in a lot of cased is more of a "they do the same thing in a different way" situation, which is where the overlap is. To me that makes them trickier to pair.

My thing is more of a KISS philosophy of I have to execute a shot. If I've got one disc I'm going to throw for that shot, I grab it and I start thinking about how much hyzer or anny or what I have to do to execute the shot. If I have 2-3 options, I start out thinking about which disc to throw. Then if I don't execute the shot, I don't think "ah, rolled my wrist and turned that over." I think "ah, should have thrown the Buzzz instead of the Comet." Having that overlap makes me think a lot about what discs are in my bag and less about how I'm throwing those discs, and that makes it harder to focus on why I'm not executing the shots. In the end, you can have a great looking bag full of USDGC/Ledgestone specialty runs and Paul McBeth signature whatevers, but you still have to throw them.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2020, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,572 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
For me there is a pretty significant difference from the Comet-type "throws like a putter with glide" mids and the "throws like a shorter driver" Buzzz-type discs. One is not necessarily better than the other, they just fit different throwing styles. I know some people bag both types i.e. carry both a Buzzz and a Comet, but personally I just stick to the Roc/Comet-type mids. My throwing just doesn't adapt well to a Buzzz.

Sticking to that philosophy, to me a faster tweener disc like the Squall would fit better with a Buzzz than a Comet would. I love Comets and wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying one, but realistically they are not for everyone.

Which...that's probably why there are 4,567 mids on the market right now, eh? Something for everyone...
Pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Couldn't have said it better myself. My bag lineup reflects this to a T. I typically like a more finesse game (even if I can do things like park a 300' slight hyzer hole with a comet) so I lean to more workable mids, hence carrying 3 comets in my bag. I still recognize the need in my bag for a straight, line drive midrange - which is where the aftershock comes in. Need more distance and a comet like flight, but don't want to throw a driver? Squall.

There's not much difference in the plastics for premium comets. You'll find more variation due to the dome - the very domey Z are most 'overstable' comets. The flat ESP have more high speed turn. X Plastic flies truest to the mold, incredible glide and easy to throw.

Niced: (1)