Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 210 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Vibration View Post
Necro bump.

Now that its 5 years later, what are peoples opinions and experiences with sanctioned leagues? Im exploring the idea of adding opt in sanctioning to our existing handicap league. The biggest complaint Ive heard is that it can be a ratings killer for the people that play, but the person saying that thought it could have been because the round was on a weekday when people are coming straight from work. I see in the comments above from Chuck that people might complain about ratings being much different from week to week with the same layout. Would this be fixed by alternating courses or playing different layouts each week? It would be nice to get more rated rounds in for some local players, but if it ends up hurting ratings more than helping, it sounds less appealing.
We did Leagues in 2015-16 but they fizzled out when the TDs moved away and no one else stepped up. A dedicated TD is probably the most important factor in keeping them going every year. Alternating courses makes it more fun and widens the field with more locals, but it won't fix a rating issue. Players that worship their rating will stay away, but beginners that can now see some stats and scores and events under their name will keep coming out regardless IMO.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Necro bump.

Now that its 5 years later, what are peoples opinions and experiences with sanctioned leagues? Im exploring the idea of adding opt in sanctioning to our existing handicap league. The biggest complaint Ive heard is that it can be a ratings killer for the people that play, but the person saying that thought it could have been because the round was on a weekday when people are coming straight from work. I see in the comments above from Chuck that people might complain about ratings being much different from week to week with the same layout. Would this be fixed by alternating courses or playing different layouts each week? It would be nice to get more rated rounds in for some local players, but if it ends up hurting ratings more than helping, it sounds less appealing.
It depends entirely on the population of players that are playing. If the league has pretty regular attendees - the guys who show up only occasionally and aren't home-course players on that layout will see their ratings suffer because they're throwing against a field of mostly players comfortable with the lines. But when its just the regulars? They're just gonna be trading rating points, so to speak.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 249 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Necro bump.

I was in a sanctioned league earlier this year (pre-COVID19 shutdown)....it was fun, but when my ratings were updated post-COVID19 shutdown....my rating dropped a huge amount (21 points).

The league gave players the option to have their round be sanctioned or not....so, in the group, some would be sanctioned and some not. The opt-in/out was per round...so a player could opt out one week and opt-in the next. I played a harder course than I'm used to, so I'm not totally surprised my rating dropped, but I was shocked by how much it changed.

In full disclosure: I didn't ask what basket we were playing to on each hole. Sometimes the hole had more than one basket and I was usually playing to the wrong one.....or for the league, they were playing to another hole's basket.

Having tried it once....I would do it again. I liked the ability to opt-in/out of the sanctioned round. The difference was $1 more if you opted in.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 103
Niced 210 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFleming View Post
I was in a sanctioned league earlier this year (pre-COVID19 shutdown)....it was fun, but when my ratings were updated post-COVID19 shutdown....my rating dropped a huge amount (21 points).

The league gave players the option to have their round be sanctioned or not....so, in the group, some would be sanctioned and some not. The opt-in/out was per round...so a player could opt out one week and opt-in the next. I played a harder course than I'm used to, so I'm not totally surprised my rating dropped, but I was shocked by how much it changed.

In full disclosure: I didn't ask what basket we were playing to on each hole. Sometimes the hole had more than one basket and I was usually playing to the wrong one.....or for the league, they were playing to another hole's basket.

Having tried it once....I would do it again. I liked the ability to opt-in/out of the sanctioned round. The difference was $1 more if you opted in.
I looked at your events and this can happen when you have a small number of rated rounds like you do. The Coyote Classic might have more to do with it than the League because it would have been double weighted. Keep competing, a few 700+ rounds and it will shoot back up.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 249 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
I looked at your events and this can happen when you have a small number of rated rounds like you do. The Coyote Classic might have more to do with it than the League because it would have been double weighted. Keep competing, a few 700+ rounds and it will shoot back up.
That's good to know....I know the rating change seemed to happen all at once and included the tournaments and league. No biggie....I use the rating for an idea of how I'm playing. I've been using the PDGA's Disc Golf 2 app to track non-sanctioned rounds and it gives the option to get an "If this was a sanctioned round" calculated rating. I've been scoring 700+. Now, I just hope that can carry over to tournament rounds - I have three tournaments coming up.

Mainly, I'm in disc golf for the fun and exercise. I plan/hope/expect to get better....but if I don't, it doesn't take away from my enjoyment. I may just be the designated/official DFL player....and that's okay with me.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,898 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Necro bump.

They are popular around here. I personally am not a fan and will not participate. I have always viewed leagues as "organized practice" for "real" events and rating those rounds doesn't fit my view.

They will tend to hurt ratings for more established players and help those of players who like the slack environment and/or tend to play just the one course all the time (in other words likely most of your player base).
Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 360 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
They are popular around here. I personally am not a fan and will not participate. I have always viewed leagues as "organized practice" for "real" events and rating those rounds doesn't fit my view.

They will tend to hurt ratings for more established players and help those of players who like the slack environment and/or tend to play just the one course all the time (in other words likely most of your player base).
I guess that roller I almost hit you with at last year league had a negative effect on your opinion?

Thanks for making it out that day, it was very nice see you out supporting the club.

I concur league are unfair rating wise to seasons pros. They are usually competing with one or two people at their level versus 20 to 30 mid level ams. It can be a big confidence boost for the ams when they are able to score in the same range as pro's that they look up to.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:50 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.6
Courses Played: 710
Niced 2,556 Times in 1,082 Posts

The net rating points earned in a league round is always equal to or slightly above the player ratings of the propagators, same math as tournaments. So no more rating points are lost to the pool of propagators in leagues than tournaments. However, the reason higher rated players (ratings above 980) may not fare as well in leagues is when the course is too easy (SSA under 50) which doesn't provide enough scoring range to consistently spread their scores from the lower rated propagators.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 07-24-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.4
Courses Played: 250
Niced 4,133 Times in 1,459 Posts

We have several sanctioned leagues around here. I play MA40/50, so ratings are kind of irrelevant. It is a nice place to pick up points, if World's is on your agenda.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 118
Niced 68 Times in 40 Posts

I've only been playing the past few years, but I've enjoyed the local traveling sanctioned leagues.

I like:
- being able to get a competitive round in at a large variety of courses
- a few hours for a rated round beats the usual all day 2 rounds only tourney experience
- my league seems to have a reliable group of talented locals to challenge me and show me new lines
- only thing suppressing my rating is my disc golf game right now

I dislike:
- I'm usually rushing to this after work, but really this is my choice.