Old 07-24-2020, 12:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,856 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcinmd View Post
I guess that roller I almost hit you with at last year league had a negative effect on your opinion?

Thanks for making it out that day, it was very nice see you out supporting the club.
That was my first and last venture into sanctioned leagues (and the worst round I have shot in years). As you already know I am one of the biggest supporters of local clubs in our area. The roller could have broken my ankle. 😀

I just have never viewed league play as "serious" competition and don't see the point of the pdga awarding points, etc based on such. (I do see the value to the organization in bringing more players into the fold.) The idea that league play can qualify a player for the highest level of events seems absurd. ymmv
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The net rating points earned in a league round is always equal to or slightly above the player ratings of the propagators, same math as tournaments. So no more rating points are lost to the pool of propagators in leagues than tournaments. However, the reason higher rated players (ratings above 980) may not fare as well in leagues is when the course is too easy (SSA under 50) which doesn't provide enough scoring range to consistently spread their scores from the lower rated propagators.
Thanks for chiming in Chuck. From what you and others are saying, it sounds like if I’m going to run a sanctioned league, I shouldn’t use a regular layout that locals are used to, and it should be a course that allows for good score separation. I can see if you’re running a league on the regular layout and only getting your handful of regulars, that could hurt ratings. But if you treat the league like a tournament and come up with a unique layout(s) and attract out of towners or non league players of all skill levels, it can be done. I’m actually considering the league instead of monthly minis to circumvent park fees, so I already planned to give it tournament level effort.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 152
Niced 471 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Vibration View Post
Thanks for chiming in Chuck. From what you and others are saying, it sounds like if I’m going to run a sanctioned league, I shouldn’t use a regular layout that locals are used to, and it should be a course that allows for good score separation. I can see if you’re running a league on the regular layout and only getting your handful of regulars, that could hurt ratings. But if you treat the league like a tournament and come up with a unique layout(s) and attract out of towners or non league players of all skill levels, it can be done. I’m actually considering the league instead of monthly minis to circumvent park fees, so I already planned to give it tournament level effort.
Just since it came to mind - If you decide to run a Safari league choose an early morning time that allows your players to get off the course before locals get on it. I ran an 8 week Safari layout league and had to move the time earlier by 2 hours after 1 week realizing we were finishing as the course started getting hopping.

Dunno if you were thinking of going as far as safari, but if so err on the side of earlier.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 164 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Just since it came to mind - If you decide to run a Safari league choose an early morning time that allows your players to get off the course before locals get on it. I ran an 8 week Safari layout league and had to move the time earlier by 2 hours after 1 week realizing we were finishing as the course started getting hopping.

Dunno if you were thinking of going as far as safari, but if so err on the side of earlier.
That’s a good tip. Our toughest course doesn’t get too many casual players, but our easiest definitely will. I’ll have to get most creative there. Will likely have to add alternate tee and artificial OB, but nothing more unusual than you would find at a local C tier. Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 259
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Southwest Handicap Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Vibration View Post
Now that it’s 5 years later, what are people’s opinions and experiences with sanctioned leagues?
I've been running three sanctioned leagues a year for the past eight years. There haven't been any ratings abnormalities outside what you'd seen from a typical weekend tournament.

I run 10-week sessions and we rotate between 5-7 different courses. I pay more attention to ratings than the average bear because our league is handicap format based on your player rating (calculated from overall PDGA and league rounds)

We are subject to some of the effects that Chuck mentioned because most of our courses have SSAs on the low end. The attached pic shows our courses, SSA, and the number of ratings points per raw stroke for handicapping with 1000-rated getting zero strokes. The player will get between 81-84% of those strokes depending on their player rating. E.g. A 901-rated player at M2 will get (1000-901)/12.02 * 82.21% = 6.8 strokes for their handicap. We been using this method since 2008 with great success.
Attached Images
File Type: png shwcssa.png (3.4 KB, 7 views)