Old 09-15-2020, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 653 Times in 317 Posts

I also wonder about the GG scoring error.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2020, 03:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 709 Times in 269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
I admit I am not a fan of Dodge, but please help me understand how someone who has been around disc golf for so long, ends up putting out a caddy book with anything less than 100% clear to understand rules? I just don't get it....
If you are a big idea guy, you have to be willing to delegate the detail work to other people and trust their work.

If you are the DGPT, you need to confirm that the work of others confirms to your expectations/standards.

Nobody’s getting rich here and I’m sure this year has been especially challenging. Ideally, caddy books would be usability tested for accuracy by people both familiar and somewhat unfamiliar with the course. The guiding question would be “what problems remain that we are not accounting for that we should account for.” It would be best done walking the course to match graphical representations with reality.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 255
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 114 Times in 40 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
I admit I am not a fan of Dodge, but please help me understand how someone who has been around disc golf for so long, ends up putting out a caddy book with anything less than 100% clear to understand rules? I just don't get it....
The Maple Hill course has been around for about 15 years, and has evolved a lot in that time. Other than between Thanksgiving and Christmas when it shuts down for tree sales, this is a course that gets a huge amount of casual and local tournament play. There are lots of alternate tees, markers, OB lines, etc. from casual play that change come MVP Open tournament time and confuse even the locals who play it every week. As with most premier tournaments, the course also gets “tricked out” for elite competitor play...and sometimes random stuff just happens. I remember one year there was a submerged OB rope near hole#8 which somebody found somehow during the tournament and caused confusion because it was something that not been used or even seen in years!

I have seen other big tournaments with far worse caddy books and with little to no foresight about sticky rules scenarios. Sometimes doodie just happens and all in all, this is one of the last things that I would complain about with the MVP Open. I think they do one of the best jobs on tour in making for a fair course that still punishes loose, errant shots. Although I will say that far fewer of these issues came up when head groundskeeper May Pleworm was in charge of things and preparing the course for tournament time...but alas, Dave works elsewhere now.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 116
Niced 880 Times in 412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
Also Simon's OB on hole 8 in round 1.
Was that the strange one where his disc went between wall panels or something?
Old 09-15-2020, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 53
Niced 5,725 Times in 2,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Was that the strange one where his disc went between wall panels or something?
No. It was the one where somebody else had thrown and knocked the ob rope into the water and Simon's disc landed in the pond underneath the rope.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 81
Niced 180 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
No. It was the one where somebody else had thrown and knocked the ob rope into the water and Simon's disc landed in the pond underneath the rope.
I believe Simon's disc knocked the rope down.
I would not put that situation into the controversial category. Weird though.

The spot Paige Pierce's card mates gave her was the most controversial in my opinion.

I fully understand the penalty Gurthie received, but at the same time I felt he got screwed.

McBeth's OB situation that got reversed was OK with me, but I bet there a lot of people who felt McBeth received "star treatment".
Old 09-15-2020, 09:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 154
Niced 628 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
I believe Simon's disc knocked the rope down.
I would not put that situation into the controversial category. Weird though.
The rope was unchanged from first to last shot on that card. If someone's disc moved the rope, it happened earlier in the day.

Here's the rope in what looks like approximately the same position for an earlier card: https://youtu.be/iAtQ4LgXaZ4?t=1785 (29:45)

Ricky's first disc (same card, thrown before Simon) moved the rope on the left side of the basket but I couldn't see any movement on the rope in the section where Simon went OB.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 213
Niced 611 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Heather Young had a break out performance imop. If she can get another 30ft or so on her drives, she can compete with Paige & Catrina anywhere. I expect Hailey King to be the #1 FPO player within the next 3-4 years. She has the raw talent, just needs the mental game to catch up.
I expect it to be one of the three Europeans. Henna, Eveliina, & Kristin have both youth and talent. All should be expected to improve -- if they stay with disc golf. If though, like Ragna Bygde, they take another path...

Old 09-15-2020, 11:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 213
Niced 611 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Like a lot of TDs, they write caddy books like a player, not like an official. They view nearly everything through the player lens. Someday we'll have an expert in the booth or available for consult who used to be a player but is now exclusively an official. Just like other sports.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,042 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
The spot Paige Pierce's card mates gave her was the most controversial in my opinion
She have to throw from the spot her card mates give her? nothing she can do?