Old 04-06-2020, 04:36 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 160 Times in 123 Posts

I throw the snot out of the defy.
Wraith has more of an S flight. Defy has a straighter overall flight with a little more bite on the end, depending on what kind of wraith. defy is a lot more wind resistant in my experience.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 803 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkles View Post
Any more people compare this to the Innova wraith?
I've thrown a handful of Wraiths across most plastic types, but only one Defy (neutron, I 166g). The Defy was much flatter than any of my Wraiths, but rim width felt about the same. As for flight, the Defy flew similar to my most OS Wraith, a max weight pop-top Star. I'd say it fits the same slot in the bag as a Wraith, but with less cycling ability because the Defy doesn't have the litany of plastic choices that the Wraith does (and gyro plastic is indestructible).

Niced: (1)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 947 Times in 731 Posts
Default Defy

I threw a Defy for the first time today. Proton plastic, unknown weight (feels like 170+ though). Based on rim width I expected this disc to fly like a Wraith. It did, but faster and longer.

The rim isn't super wide, but it is fairly shallow. The Defy is deceptively fast and will get downrange fairly quickly.

Glide was average to somewhat above average. The Defy seems to hang in the air pretty well. You have to really smash this disc to see the glide though. If you miss it even a little bit it fades off short quickly.

Just a bit of high speed turn. The Defy will bend a little, but it has to be thrown hard to do so. Any throw I didn't put 100% on wouldn't turn. The Defy holds that slight turn for a long time. It isn't in any hurry to fade. When the disc does fade it does so fairly gracefully. Not a really sharp, dumpy fade.

Distance was fairly impressive. I had a couple throws in the 440' area. The Defy penetrates and glides well. For me this disc definitely flies further than a Wraith. I'd describe it as "sneaky long".

Overall, I feel this is a very worthy distance driver. It reminds me of a Wraith or Punisher. The Defy is definitely zippier and longer than a Wraith, by probably 30' for me. It's an 11 speed rim that will hang with faster drivers for distance. It doesn't really fly in an S curve, but will turn just a bit on really hard rips.

Defy: 12, 5, -1, 3. These are pretty much Destroyer numbers. The Defy is faster than you'd think. That -1 high speed turn isn't easy to achieve either. I had to put everything I had on the disc to see it. Not a beginner disc. The Defy will fly far, but that distance has to be earned. Wind didn't seem to affect this disc much one way or the other. This disc reminds me of a Panic or Octane with a narrower rim.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 160 Times in 123 Posts

I use the defy when there’s any sort of wind. I can trust it with cross/headwinds more than my panics which I use as my main DD’s-the lack of dome leads to a little less distance but more precision. Really great open field go-to driver.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 947 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsammons View Post
I use the defy when there’s any sort of wind. I can trust it with cross/headwinds more than my panics which I use as my main DD’s-the lack of dome leads to a little less distance but more precision. Really great open field go-to driver.
I was pleasantly surprised with the Defy. It was definitely a little faster and longer than I expected. The disc holds up very well to hard rips. I wasn't seeing any unnecessary high speed turn either.