Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts
Default Building Back Ups (aka stockpiling)

Okay so I'm about to start buying back ups of my new lifetime partner in disc golf. Many people stock up on Wizards, DX whatever, Elite X so and so, and I will be stocking up on my fav key discs soon.

1) What discs do you stock?
2) What made you start stocking it?
3) What tips or suggestions do you have for doing so? (Finding the disc, storing it, pricing, beating in a back up, or whatever tips you may have)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I woudn't ever "stock up" a ton since the technology has advanced so fast and will continue to, but I do have doubles - or very similar model/weigth - of my key discs that I really like the flight patterns of.

I have essentially doubles of Boss, Teebird, Rocs, Sharks, and Aviars. I also have other discs that are very similar and I consider nearly the same (TeeRex/Monster/Starfire or Roadrunner/Dragon for example). A lot of the reason for that I double up or have similar discs is also so I can practice a lot of shots a few times in a row before having to go walk down and pick them up, though. I like to take a bag of a half dozen overstable and a half dozen understable drivers out to a field, throw them all, walk to the end and throw back, repeat...

The only discs I usually carry near doubles of in a tourney bag are the couple I couldn't function well without: Teebird since I use that on 50+% of drives and Shark since I use that on 50+% of approaches. Just my pref. I won't ever be the guy carrying a huge bag, though... I own dozens, but 9-12 at a time is where I usually draw the line for a tourney or even rec game.

Last edited by Feli; 09-20-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 15
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

set limits that are reasonable. like 6 of each disc. i'm currently throwing 8molds and have 163 of those discs....just too much i stopped throwing valks and now i have 10 extra.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I usually only stock up on something if they fall into these 3 areas or If there is a chance to nab some cheap plastic.

1. If I really like that run of plastic/mold it is made with (I usually try and keep 5 in reserve in that plastic/mold. That way if they stop making it or the next run sucks I have some time to find something else to fit that spot)

2. If it is a disc that is a special run. (Example esp comet)

3. I play a lot on my home course and there are 4 holes where you throw near a water hazard. I try and keep the discs I use on those holes stocked up. (5ish discs)

CHEERS - Koffee
Old 09-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I only have one double... my Dragons.

I haven't really thought about getting back ups of anything else.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i only stock up on limited edition discs or discs i toss more than 10 times a round
Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
set limits that are reasonable. like 6 of each disc. i'm currently throwing 8molds and have 163 of those discs....just too much i stopped throwing valks and now i have 10 extra.
Makes sense... my only question though is what would be a reasonable limit? If you want to be able to play with a certain mold for 20+ years I feel like you would need more than 10... but I would suppose that depends on the plastic.

It would also make sense that you would keep fewer of your putter duty putter because there is much less likely hood of loosing it vs. a driving disc.

I also hear that storing discs in those cheap wall mart tubs with the water noodles as support for the discs is a great idea.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,646 Times in 1,317 Posts

Just make sure the discs are standing on a edge, not stacked on top of each other.

I'll stockpile anything I throw. You never know when a mold will change or a plastic will go OOP. If you have 25 and the mold is changed, in 10 years you will either wish you had more or will have started throwing something else and sold them for a decent profit to somebody else who wished they had bought more.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 29
Niced 22 Times in 19 Posts

I have at least 1 backup of my favorites. Teebirds, Leopards, Cyclones I have multiples of. Rocs and Wizards I have a small army of, mostly due to feel on the Wizards. Rocs obviously for cycling, and of the 14 or so Rocs I have, probably 5 will not ever be thrown since they'll be wall hangers.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Generally, if I like a disc a lot, I like to get at least 2 and just have 1 in case I lose the other. Sometimes though, I go a little over that if I am trading and will take a few of a mold I like over holding onto one I dont particularly care for.

Then there are the discs which you like to beat in and Im not sure if there is a magic number for that type. You just gotta make sure you have 1 waiting to go to start the cycle of wear.