Old 02-14-2018, 08:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,498 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtata01 View Post
Need some info on Star Wraith markings. Just got a tournament stamp 167 marked Star WR with pat numbers? Is this like a PFN Kenny or before that? Any help would be awesome
Usually Pre-Kenny stars are marked SWR.

PFN with patents are usually star WR.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2018, 08:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,495 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Destroyer always kicked the crap out of the Wraith for me in headwinds. The Destroyer is more stable and penetrates better.

I have a 10 year old star Destroyer that I'll still throw into headwinds. It seemingly hasn't lost any stability over the years.

For the the Wraith gets knocked down too much in headwinds and isn't stable enough for hard throws. Ideally I'll use an XCal when it really starts blowing.
Some of us don't have the arm for a Destroyer and I personally don't like a rim width beyond Wraith width. You can definitely find a Wraith perfectly able to handle headwinds. As has been discussed, their stability is all over the map, but I have some in E-star, champion and star that I trust in headwinds up to 20mph. After that it's firebird territory for me. 162g might be pushing it for headwinds, I generally throw 170g to 175g.

I also have Wraiths in all those plastics that run from slightly OS to US, it's mostly about plh and weight.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:33 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,378 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Destroyer always kicked the crap out of the Wraith for me in headwinds. The Destroyer is more stable and penetrates better.

I have a 10 year old star Destroyer that I'll still throw into headwinds. It seemingly hasn't lost any stability over the years.

For the the Wraith gets knocked down too much in headwinds and isn't stable enough for hard throws. Ideally I'll use an XCal when it really starts blowing.
I have a DX Destroyer that was $3 at PIAS but looked literally brand new. I've thrown it some, but it was always more than my noodle arm could use.

I'm wondering if my Star Wraith might not be too overpowered into the wind, which might "help" it fly faster than it really is. If it works, great; if not, I've still got a Krait and DDx to try out... and as always, I get to have fun throwing the discs to test them out.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 10
Niced 59 Times in 44 Posts

The most reliably OS Wraiths are Discmania DDs.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 936 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskew113 View Post
The most reliably OS Wraiths are Discmania DDs.
Bought in two plastics to be overstable Wraiths. Too overstable for me even in that role.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 17
Niced 1,495 Times in 770 Posts

I have a MF champion and a couple of new patent # E-stars, all 175g, sitting on the shelf. They all need considerable breaking in before I'll consider bagging them for my OS distance slot.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I'm wondering if my Star Wraith might not be too overpowered into the wind, which might "help" it fly faster than it really is. If it works, great; if not, I've still got a Krait and DDx to try out... and as always, I get to have fun throwing the discs to test them out.
Didn't work. We had a front coming into today, and some really blustery winds at times. I got to throw my 162g Star Wraith straight into those headwinds... and the winds won. They turned that Wraith over and it kept turning over like it was a Tern or something. Maybe the weight is just too light, and maybe this particular disc will work well in lesser winds, but today's test was a "we learned something" experience...

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 953 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Didn't work. We had a front coming into today, and some really blustery winds at times. I got to throw my 162g Star Wraith straight into those headwinds... and the winds won. They turned that Wraith over and it kept turning over like it was a Tern or something. Maybe the weight is just too light, and maybe this particular disc will work well in lesser winds, but today's test was a "we learned something" experience...
Yeah, the Wraith would never be my choice for a wind disc. Even if they're gentle breezes. That said, I bet something like an XCal would be too much for your arm. You ever throw a Teerex? That disc can actually handle a breeze pretty well. Same speed as a Wraith too.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, the Wraith would never be my choice for a wind disc. Even if they're gentle breezes. That said, I bet something like an XCal would be too much for your arm. You ever throw a Teerex? That disc can actually handle a breeze pretty well. Same speed as a Wraith too.
Yes, I think the XCal would be a bit much for my arm, especially backhanded. I have not thrown a Teerex, and if memory serves me correctly, those are going OOP. Anyhoo, I'll try the DDx (S-line, then C-line) as a windy weather compliment to my Tern, and re-visit the Krait, which is a hugely underrated disc.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 953 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I think the XCal would be a bit much for my arm, especially backhanded. I have not thrown a Teerex, and if memory serves me correctly, those are going OOP. Anyhoo, I'll try the DDx (S-line, then C-line) as a windy weather compliment to my Tern, and re-visit the Krait, which is a hugely underrated disc.
DDX probably won't work for headwinds. If anything, its flippier than a Wraith. The Krait might, but its more of a straight flier than anything.

I do agree the Krait is underrated, but more for straight line bombing.

For subtle headwinds I've been tossing the star Destroyer a lot lately with great success. It won't stand up to big gusts, but for anything under that its perfect. Again though, probably a little much for your arm.