Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Post your "disc find" stories!

Here's one to start ...

Dolese Park in Oklahoma City, hole #2 plays to a pin that's protected by a swarm of pine trees. My drive winds up under the trees so I march on up to it and get ready to throw my approach shot.

At that point I'm standing upright facing the tree that my disc was under and there, dead level with my eyes, was a green Lightning D-4. Totally blended in with the pine needles - I was seeing it edge-on and didn't believe it for a second. Whoever lost it could have looked for a lo-o-o-ong time without seeing it, even though it was in easy reach.

No ink so it was mine, until I lost it up in Edmond a couple of years later.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 51
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

We played Edpra in Ft. Collins, CO in the snow. We found a DX hydra on hole 5 and then a Red unknown disc on hole 17. Once your disc went under the snow it was lost. We tried calling the unkown red disc's owner, no dice. The hydra had no number so my buddy still throws it. Two discs in one day has happened to us twice.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 154
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Playing in Madison a few weeks ago, was shaking a bush to get my father-in-laws disc out and another disc fell to the ground as well. Tried to call the number but it was disconnected. I didn't want the disc so I gave it to my father-in-law. He ended up losing it in some thick brush at the next course we played. Needless to say, I didn't spend too much time looking for it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 9
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Me and my roommate play a lot at the many courses around us and we find lots of discs and do everything in our power to return them, kind of a karma thing in our opinions. We have even driven an hour out of our way to return 1. So, we were playing at Dexter DGC here in Oregon and he had hooked one hard into a bunch of trees, ferns and briars. After looking for his disk for 30 minutes we were about to give up when he found a White Wraith about 8ft off the ground in some trees. After he grabbed it he was in perfect eye sight with his lost disk and found it as well. Now the Wraith is his favorite disk and he now throws nothing but Wraiths.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.4
Courses Played: 92
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll just copy my story from another thread:

I've got a pretty crazy lost disc story. It's actually two lost disc stories whose fates were unconscionably tangled together.

I was on #15 at LTC Cleveland and sent my shot way too low. The rough on this horseshoe-shaped hole had grown to ridiculous lengths at this point, and I knew my shot didn't go into the woods further in, so I focused my search to the grassy area speckled with nettles and holes in the ground covered with leaves, but eventually abandoned my efforts after 45 minutes or so. I gave up and moved on.

Two months later, I was on the tee of #14 and remarked to my friend how the rough on the upcoming hole had gobbled up my Stratus a while back. In an attempt to throw a long anhyzer, I subsequently watched as I sacrificed my drive to the wind and watched it get carried into the exact same rough (WAY off line for this hole!). Commence search, part 2.

Since I had an extra set of eyes this time, we quickly closed in on the area where we'd last seen the disc enter. The rough was outrageously long, so we ruled out any chance it skipped, rolled, hopped, or did anything. Within a minute I caught the white flash in the greenery I'd been hoping for. I yelled, "I got it!" and my friend happily jumped out of the weeds. I bent down to pick it up, and lo and behold, LITERALLY UNDERNEATH my newly lost disc was my Stratus from 2 months ago! I think I reacted in a manner similar to that of a prepubescent girl winning VIP Jonas Brothers tickets. My buddy thought it was pretty awesome, too.

I've really got nothing to top this "lost-and-found" story in my decade-plus of playing.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 158
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Couple weeks ago, after a nice rainstorm, I went to the course thats a few blocks from my house to see what I could find early one morning.... I have found 4 or 5 discs at a time before in the past, including one of my best buddies putters he had lost weeks before.

There's an area downstream that isn't close to any hole, but it sure is the money spot to find plastic after a nice rain. I found 10 discs that morning... all either champ or star plastic (one was just barely sticking out of the bottom of the creek in the sand... maybe 15% of the disc exposed)... kinda makes me wonder how many get completely buried in stream beds...

Also, one was an ace disc from Circle C, dated just a few days after the long anticipated re-opening of the best course in town. It really made the guys day when he recieved the call from me that I had found it....(he had actually had his bag stolen a few days prior.... and, NO, his name was not war eagle )

8 of 10 had #'s. Only got 3 call backs.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 158
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgonzo View Post
I'll just copy my story from another thread:

I've got a pretty crazy lost disc story. It's actually two lost disc stories whose fates were unconscionably tangled together.

I was on #15 at LTC Cleveland and sent my shot way too low. The rough on this horseshoe-shaped hole had grown to ridiculous lengths at this point, and I knew my shot didn't go into the woods further in, so I focused my search to the grassy area speckled with nettles and holes in the ground covered with leaves, but eventually abandoned my efforts after 45 minutes or so. I gave up and moved on.

Two months later, I was on the tee of #14 and remarked to my friend how the rough on the upcoming hole had gobbled up my Stratus a while back. In an attempt to throw a long anhyzer, I subsequently watched as I sacrificed my drive to the wind and watched it get carried into the exact same rough (WAY off line for this hole!). Commence search, part 2.

Since I had an extra set of eyes this time, we quickly closed in on the area where we'd last seen the disc enter. The rough was outrageously long, so we ruled out any chance it skipped, rolled, hopped, or did anything. Within a minute I caught the white flash in the greenery I'd been hoping for. I yelled, "I got it!" and my friend happily jumped out of the weeds. I bent down to pick it up, and lo and behold, LITERALLY UNDERNEATH my newly lost disc was my Stratus from 2 months ago! I think I reacted in a manner similar to that of a prepubescent girl winning VIP Jonas Brothers tickets. My buddy thought it was pretty awesome, too.

I've really got nothing to top this "lost-and-found" story in my decade-plus of playing.
OK, that's just flat out G R E A T !!! I've had me and my buddies disc land directly and perfectly on top of each other before while putting.... but your story is in a whole 'nother league of holy WOWSERS, What just happened???
Old 06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazillion View Post
Here's one to start ...

Dolese Park in Oklahoma City, hole #2 plays to a pin that's protected by a swarm of pine trees. My drive winds up under the trees so I march on up to it and get ready to throw my approach shot.

At that point I'm standing upright facing the tree that my disc was under and there, dead level with my eyes, was a green Lightning D-4. Totally blended in with the pine needles - I was seeing it edge-on and didn't believe it for a second. Whoever lost it could have looked for a lo-o-o-ong time without seeing it, even though it was in easy reach.

No ink so it was mine, until I lost it up in Edmond a couple of years later.
You sure you got the hole right? Hole 2 at Dolese is a long shot through the tunnel of trees, no pine trees that have anything on them at eye level. Maybe hole 3 or 4?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 55
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc1time View Post
You sure you got the hole right? Hole 2 at Dolese is a long shot through the tunnel of trees, no pine trees that have anything on them at eye level. Maybe hole 3 or 4?
Aw shoot - senior moment - it was Will Rogers. Dang.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 59
Niced 11 Times in 6 Posts

Last weekend, I was playing at Miramar Park in Sea Brook, TX. A very short 9-hole course, but the brush on the sides of the course is very think.

My friend threw his disc on #5, and it landed to the right of the basket in the very tall, thick grass. We were looking for a couple of minutes, looking for his red champ disc, when he said, I think I found it. He reached into a thick clump of grass, and pulled out a Champ Monarch that was not his disc.

We found his disc a short time later, and we called the number on the disc.The guy lived around the corner, and came up there, and joined us for a couple of rounds. We had a great time playing together and he was happy to get his disc back.