Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: McBeth vs. Climo
McBeth 191 60.83%
Climo 123 39.17%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2020, 04:25 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 5 Posts

Did this really happen? Or is this one of those staged conversations with fake accounts. If it is true... this is quite sad.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2020, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,215 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby snack View Post
Innova made a disc honoring both players. It's the Champ Beast!

My 2 cents.
...and it has Barry's signature...

Niced: (3)
Old 04-30-2020, 04:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,215 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
Did this really happen? Or is this one of those staged conversations with fake accounts. If it is true... this is quite sad.
Pretty sure it is legit. What's sad about it? Competitive people acting competitive?

Old 04-30-2020, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

No this isn't sad, it's fun.
I was disappointed there were no "Your Momma" jabs.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,541 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
It's real, but I think it's some good competitive ribbing. It was a comment under this MurderMike meme:
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...62357733820439
Old 04-30-2020, 04:56 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 239 Times in 135 Posts

Climo had the same discs available to him as all other competitors, McBeth the same (given he could play for any sponsor if he really wanted to). I don't see how the development of the game around each player says very much about them, it's not like the player body types have changed that significantly. Do we have lots of examples of players not able to keep up with the changing environment around them?
Old 04-30-2020, 09:29 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 26.1
Courses Played: 140
Niced 3,746 Times in 1,352 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Pretty sure it is legit. What's sad about it? Competitive people acting competitive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
No this isn't sad, it's fun.
I was disappointed there were no "Your Momma" jabs.
I'm sure it's that same sort of good-natured competitive back and forth you hear on the course, it just doesn't translate well to text with no facial expressions to go with it.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 29
Niced 42 Times in 20 Posts

Until last year it was considered 50/50 whether wysocki or Mcbeth was even better.

I’m a big Mcbeth fan. I enjoy how his seemingly small stature doesn’t effect his ability to perform against the typical type that fits disc golf. Tall, lanky arms doesn’t give a advantage against Mcbeth like it should perhaps.

This conversation is disrespectful to Climo. If Climo grew up in the age of mcbeth you can be 100% sure he would be a powerful figure in the game, wielding BH and FH equally dominant as well as the fast, direct putting style of today.

Today, If I was asked to compare a pitch putting, BH dominate player against a Mcbeth and asked who would win, 100% Mcbeth, but this isn’t exactly a honest assessment of skills across decades

And climos competition wasn’t slouches either. Moser, Stokely, schultz, Russell.

I even doubt mcbeths ability to dominate If climo didn’t act as a pillar to be dominated. Which IMO he has yet to do.

Last edited by PWaggoner; 04-30-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 969 Times in 473 Posts

I prefer that current leading figures in any popular field of activity express more humility and more appreciation for previous leaders in that field, like Isaac Newton's supposed quote:
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Paul stands to gain nothing of value by diminishing Climo's legacy. He easily could lose the respect of those who find it distasteful.

The picture that Paul put into his Facebook post appears to be at Fountain Hills, AZ. It wasn't the World Championship, or any major victory. The photographer just happened to catch Climo in a bad light while McBeth is enjoying the victory. And, when was this Fountain Hills victory? Around 2012 maybe, putting Climo around 45 or so. Good for you Paul. You won against a player well out of his prime, and you're still going to revel in it now. I find doing so to be in bad taste.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:05 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,261 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Climo had the same discs available to him as all other competitors, McBeth the same (given he could play for any sponsor if he really wanted to). I don't see how the development of the game around each player says very much about them, it's not like the player body types have changed that significantly. Do we have lots of examples of players not able to keep up with the changing environment around them?
I get this because after years as an Innova Sponsored player McBeth switches to Discraft in late 2018 and in one year learns the discs though some help of discs made with his input more then ever and wins worlds. McBeth had to learn some new plastics, though Z and Champion are very similar, ESP is similar to Starm and So on. Some discs like Z flex does not have a floppy Champion in regular production so his Z flex Zone might at first be bit odd nor does Innova have a close for Titanium or Big Z, a new plastic that Paul got for his driving putter in Big Z. Also the minimum basket cage height changed during his time winning in Open, so that brands like DGA and others that were using the old minimum height for baskets had to change.

Then Climo had to change to win when Disc Golf went through its second biggest changes, plastics and the rim wars in the late 1990's to early 2000's. Until in 2007 they made it so 2.5 CM rim was the max width. Climo was able to remain relevant through his changes as well adapting just as well.

Both my arguments to me makes a wash, but more so as neither competed with the other, with the discs of each others era. Paul using his era of discs same with Climo and plastics and playing a round on a modern course, then both players using Climo era discs in baseline-Pro plastics on the kind of courses or even some of those courses if still there that Climo played for his worlds titles. But both players would have to be in there respective primes which means nobody can play each other right now even if the Corona Virus was not keeping us from doing so.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 05-01-2020 at 03:07 AM.