Old 10-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 372 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
It is a rule that is not being enforced, or is being enforced by guess work. It is then a bad rule and should be changed. I would suggest one set of rule for throwing. DiscFifty is probably close to the mark by starting with, you cannot step over your lie at anytime. You want to step or jump putt, do it from behind your mark.
Yeah fair enough, basically the reason why I want stand and deliver. But I will say that the 10m circle rule is applied correctly in almost all cases, even if by guesswork. Most players have a good idea of where 10m is and can guess that range pretty well.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2020, 05:20 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,261 Times in 1,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
If you were to call someone for picking up their mini too fast, which rule would you cite?

So, while there might not be a penalty (there is not) for picking up the mini too fast, you say that doing so would cause the player to forfeit his previous lie and prevent them from opting to abandon the throw (809.01a) on a throw that lands OB or in an otherwise undesirable area? Can you cite the rule for that? I don't think there is one.
MJ also starts walking to the disc sometimes. This second part I thought was a violation? I feel I am wrong thinking on it.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
MJ also starts walking to the disc sometimes. This second part I thought was a violation? I feel I am wrong thinking on it.
Before moving forward the player must show balance. As long as he showed balance before walking forward he's good.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,214 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
There is skill of course it's just that it's nearly automatic for any 1040+ guy in circle 1. That creates a problem for course designers/TD's because if you are going to have a bunch of 1040 rated players coming to play, how do you make it hard but fair for them to land 35-50 feet away and not be 5-30 feet most holes? It's a problem that will keep getting worse as long as the baskets stay the same size.
There are 9 such players in the World currently, 2 of whom have so few rounds that their rating is highly suspect.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:06 PM
Size Queen

Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
There are 9 such players in the World currently, 2 of whom have so few rounds that their rating is highly suspect.
I suspect 10 years from now we could have 30 players rated over 1040. Yet we have a basket size from 1975. The basket has not kept up with the evolution of player skill, not even close. Disc golf was designed to be a fun game in the park. Not a professional sport. We need a professional sized target.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,467 Times in 1,060 Posts

Keep chasing your tail, OMD.

Niced: (3)
Old 10-26-2020, 06:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 213
Niced 650 Times in 385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Jump putting looks stupid and unprofessional. Step putting can be done completely behind the mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
As unprofessional looking as those 3-point jump shots in basketball?
To me, it's more that it doesn't look like anything else in our sport. I was watching once with a non-disc golfer, trying to explain the sport. HE thought the first step putt he saw should be illegal.

At some point casual fans should matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRehberg535 View Post
Heard Philo and Ian talking on Myrtle Beach Open commentary about a possible rule change coming that would eliminate the step/jump putt. I couldn't find any recent talk here or on r/discgolf about the topic.

Anyone here have any gouge or scoop on the subject?
Why isn't this thread under the "Rules" section?

Last edited by araytx; 10-26-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
To me, it's more that it doesn't look like anything else in our sport. I was watching once with a non-disc golfer, trying to explain the sport. HE thought the first step putt he saw should be illegal.

This exactly. When casual, non-disc golfers see that they will not take pro disc golf seriously.

Current golfers claim the pros of today are real athletes unlike the pros that played against Climo. So real athletes need to use all their muscles to propel an aerodynamic disc that weighs 175 grams max less than 100 feet?

OK.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 753 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post

Why isn't this thread under the "Rules" section?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
This exactly. When casual, non-disc golfers see that they will not take pro disc golf seriously.

Current golfers claim the pros of today are real athletes unlike the pros that played against Climo. So real athletes need to use all their muscles to propel an aerodynamic disc that weighs 175 grams max less than 100 feet?

OK.
Having people who lack knowledge of how an activity is played and why it is played that way influence decisions about the whats, hows, and whys is a very bad idea.

“I didn’t know enough to even know but I don’t like it or understand it, noting here that I don’t understand it because I have not been immersed in it long enough to understand it” isn’t a sound way to do anything and we have a very prominent national example for all to see why this is a bad idea. But, hey, maybe getting rid of the step putt will make disc golf great for some people for the first time!

When I first started playing disc golf I thought having to throw from out of natural “OB” was not a good thing. But now I get disc golf after 5 years of playing, and now I know.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 753 Times in 289 Posts

The casual soccer fan would surely get rid of the offside rule while calling it “offsides.”

Niced: (2)