Old 10-31-2020, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I joined the PDGA in 1987 and for the next 5-6 years was involved in everything disc golf. In all the tournaments I played I was involved in one rule calling. I seconded someone else on time.

Yeah, I'm going there. Back in those days people followed the rules or were called on it. When did that change?

No doubt it was a much smaller community and I know of a few that were black listed from events for pencil whipping and other infractions.

The top touring pros need to start setting the correct example. call people on rules and accept being called when you make an infraction. When people start seeing them do it on video or live then others will see it as OK to follow rules and to be a "rule nazi".
Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2020, 02:22 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
If I start calling both players on my card for step/jump putt foot faults, nobody is going to second. They will not want to get involved or they won't know enough to. The offending players are most certain to get testy to pissed after a couple calls.
If...?

Try it, see what happens.

Even if no one confirms the call, you'll let the players know what is a stance violation and that someone is watching. The thrower will most likely try not to violate the rule anymore. (And, like all the rules, this one is really easy to avoid violating once you know it.)

I doubt you would have another opportunity to make that same call.

Besides, sometimes the thrower will confirm it. Most players want to play by the rules.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 1,844 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
While the Dickerson photo is a clear violation when viewed frame by frame, there is no way to see that in real time. Furthermore, I would say this is very rare, like 1 out of 30? for him. I would guess he and other step putters occasionally gets their timing wrong and are in the air when they release the disc.
So you're fine with his front foot being 4-5ft in front of his mini when the disc is released? So what's the big deal with just saying go ahead and do the same exact putt, but start 4-5 ft back so none of your feet ends up in front of the mini when the disc is released? How does that change the game....at.....all in regards to technique, putting / throwing style, etc? The only thing changed is....now...it's much easier to detect a foot fault in real time.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.7
Courses Played: 250
Niced 5,108 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
If...?

Try it, see what happens.

Even if no one confirms the call, you'll let the players know what is a stance violation and that someone is watching. The thrower will most likely try not to violate the rule anymore. (And, like all the rules, this one is really easy to avoid violating once you know it.)

I doubt you would have another opportunity to make that same call.

Besides, sometimes the thrower will confirm it. Most players want to play by the rules.
We are going to disagree, Steve. I have no interest in trying to enforce a bad rule. I think most AM players know they are in violation. I think most see it as a competitive advantage. I think most fail to realize they miss them all. I value my tournament time, as recreation and a coping mechanism. Adding the stress, I see as inevitable, to my day is not worth it

For what it is worth, I have called players for other violations occasionally. It did go pretty well each time.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:34 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
We are going to disagree, Steve. I have no interest in trying to enforce a bad rule. I think most AM players know they are in violation. I think most see it as a competitive advantage. I think most fail to realize they miss them all. I value my tournament time, as recreation and a coping mechanism. Adding the stress, I see as inevitable, to my day is not worth it

For what it is worth, I have called players for other violations occasionally. It did go pretty well each time.
Actually, I think we're pretty close to agreeing.

I would not refuse to enforce a rule just because I thought it was "bad".

BUT, I would also not call a violation when it is not clear whether a rule was violated, because "801.02 B. Players are expected to call a violation when one has clearly occurred." [Emphasis added.]

Everyone agrees the step- and jump-putt rule is tough to call. So, I would not make a call just because I thought someone may have been off the ground or prematurely stepped in front of their lie outside of 10m. That's not "clearly" enough for me.

There have at most one or two cases where I was sure enough to make a call about a step- or jump-putt outside 10m. The player "didn't know they couldn't do that" because they saw something similar on video, so it wasn't even close to being legal. And, of course, they didn't do it again.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 51.1
Courses Played: 52
Niced 810 Times in 342 Posts

When I see someone setting up for a jump putt, I turn my back. It's just not worth the drama to call them out for a violation when I have to watch videos of pros foot faulting ALL the time and no one calling them on it. Leadership starts at the top, and rec players will emulate what they see pros do or do not do at tournaments. If pros ignore the rules, to "go along to get along", why should rec players not do the same?

Old 11-01-2020, 08:26 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 517 Times in 231 Posts

Everyone here has their panties in a bunch about jump/step putting when the number one stance violation I see, BY FAR, is fairway runup throws, even on the elite pro level, and they never get called. I'd say start there if rules need more enforcing, because it is actually noticeable, unlike trying to eyeball someone's jump putt, which is far more subjective and requires video.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 17
Niced 297 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Pacific View Post
Everyone here has their panties in a bunch about jump/step putting when the number one stance violation I see, BY FAR, is fairway runup throws, even on the elite pro level, and they never get called. I'd say start there if rules need more enforcing, because it is actually noticeable, unlike trying to eyeball someone's jump putt, which is far more subjective and requires video.
That's because panties are in bunches over perceived advantage gained by the breaking of the rule, rather than just the breaking of the rule. There is no advantage to stepping on your marker during a typical fairway throw, but there is a perceived advantage to planting a foot a meter in front of your lie as you throw a step putt. If the focus is entirely on the breaking or not breaking of the rules, the fairway call is a lot easier, but comically less useful in this respect. It makes sense.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 1,844 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Leadership starts at the top, and rec players will emulate what they see pros do or do not do at tournaments. If pros ignore the rules, to "go along to get along", why should rec players not do the same?
Agreed. I also think one of the issues is (with step or jump, etc) it's not something they do all the time, so why call someone else on it when they might need that advantage themselves.

Last edited by DiscFifty; 11-01-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 393 Times in 202 Posts

another good example from a couple years go, featuring Trevor "Step with Trevor" Harboldt