Old 11-11-2020, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 785 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
... No other sport makes such a high percentage of shots consistently. No challenge is required to make a 15-20 footer...
NBA dunks?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2020, 08:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 785 Times in 380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
Couldn't you just have one hole with two tubes inside it, think skee-ball. Beginners can land in any of the rings. Advanced players would have to land in the center ring or the second ring. Pros would have to land in the center ring.
Yes, and the outside ring and middle ring are OB for Pros.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,214 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
It's an important conversation to have going forward for all Pro Tour events. I'm not in charge of the DGPT nor any other large event, nor am I on the rules committee for the PDGA so I am unable to make changes to basket size.
The Rules Committee has exactly zero to do with Technical Standards.

Quote:
The problem lies up top with the PDGA and the size requirements which have been overdue for a change. You cannot host a C,B or A tier with an unapproved PDGA basket. I don't think most of you understand how things work.
You can host all the C Tiers you want on a "non-approved target with basket." I don't think you understand how things work.

FWIW I have screwed around some this week with a basket I modified a while back by simply drilling a couple extra holes in the pole and thereby reducing height of the catching area. (Note that this is not an indication of agreement with your position that basket size is currently too large- I like to tinker.) With height of the catching area reduced by 4 inches the basket catches hard flat putts just fine- the farther removed a shot is from being flat the less well it catches. A big no bueno for those who believe there should be more 'touch" involved in putting rather than just jamming them in there. (Again, not an indicator that i necessarily agree with that position.)

Niced: (3)
Old 11-11-2020, 08:49 AM
Size Queen

Niced 235 Times in 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
NBA dunks?
Nope. Not when defended anyways. The best are around 70% from the rim.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The Rules Committee has exactly zero to do with Technical Standards.

You can host all the C Tiers you want on a "non-approved target with basket." I don't think you understand how things work.

FWIW I have screwed around some this week with a basket I modified a while back by simply drilling a couple extra holes in the pole and thereby reducing height of the catching area. (Note that this is not an indication of agreement with your position that basket size is currently too large- I like to tinker.) With height of the catching area reduced by 4 inches the basket catches hard flat putts just fine- the farther removed a shot is from being flat the less well it catches. A big no bueno for those who believe there should be more 'touch" involved in putting rather than just jamming them in there. (Again, not an indicator that i necessarily agree with that position.)
Yes there are minimum and maximum basket size requirements. Also X-Tier is what you need to run with an unapproved basket.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:52 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
Just trying to eke out some value from this thread; If you want to be down the fairway to watch the majority of the shots on the hole from a decent vantage point you have to leave before all the players hole out and the majority of the spectators move on, you need to get down the next fairway, you don't have time to hang about. The same thing happens in Golf when tap-ins remain. Those that stay get the advantage of seeing the occasional mistake that can shift outcomes. No matter how small you make the baskets there will be some range at which people value a better vantage point on the next hole more than the risk of missing a key mistake. If this is part of your argument there is no end point.
Right, but tap in in disc golf is 25 feet, not 2 feet like golf. Should tap ins be 25 feet?
Old 11-11-2020, 08:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 627 Times in 266 Posts

Quote:
Nope. Not when defended anyways. The best are around 70% from the rim.
Do you just make up these numbers?

There aren't a lot of stats out there for that. Quick google showed that the WORST dunker (percentage wise) in the entire league in the 2005-06 season made 79% of his dunks.

https://82games.com/random22.htm

Niced: (3)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:07 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,214 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Yes there are minimum and maximum basket size requirements. Also X-Tier is what you need to run with an unapproved basket.
You... are... wrong.

If you are going to preach this gospel perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the Tour Standards.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,149 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
What is your strategy to make the game better? Believe it or not I didn't create this thread.
Uh...yeah, I know you didn't start this thread. Just yesterday I showed you the first post. Mizunodave gave you all the information you need to test your theories at your local course when he started this thread. Will you follow up with it? Or is it just easier for you to flap your gums.

As far as making the game better? What problem do you think you're solving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
When this chart starts trending in the other direction, I'll believe there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Until then it's just 'feelings' driving this argument.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:11 AM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
Do you just make up these numbers?

There aren't a lot of stats out there for that. Quick google showed that the WORST dunker (percentage wise) in the entire league in the 2005-06 season made 79% of his dunks.

https://82games.com/random22.htm
It's difficult to classify a dunk and layup when being defended at the rim. Often the shot changes based on the defense. Player wants to dunk but now has to try a float it over or bank it off the backboard. So I was including the 2-3 foot range. Layups and dunks.

For instance Clint Cappella who does nothing but lay ups and dunks is around 65%, DeAndre Jordan 67%. So I gave you 70%.