Old 11-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 172 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmandiscer View Post
Same thing. Then everyone agreed with him, this will be considered the Giant Basket Era.
Answering a hypothetical question about what people might say in 25-50 years is definitely different than saying he believes that the baskets are too big.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 332 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
I honestly don't think I've seen a person as ignorant as him. He can't debate the topic so he creates tall tales and fantasies for his giant basket argument. Then slanders myself in every post. I actually laugh everytime I read his gibberish. He should be a comedian.
Quote:
So you are afraid to debate a topic. You need to censor it? How convincing of an argument can you have if you need to shut it down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
Wait.... There's a giant basket argument?

Like let's make baskets bigger for the pro's? Rad.
Quote:
No I took that from Simon Lizotte who said this is "The Giant Basket era."
So what you're saying is no one is arguing for larger baskets that currently exist.

You talk of wanting to debate, yet provide misleading or false information, avoid difficult questions arising from your statements.

Fantastic debate skills. I'm sure you win a lot.

Niced: (2)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.6
Courses Played: 102
Niced 1,149 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney View Post
I wish OMD didnt ruin this thread.

Most of yall dont understand and keep regurgitating the same thing over and over. (Mostly due to omd trolls)
This I agree with, but your points only defend his stance on smaller baskets...some of which I agree with by the way.

But what is everyone's opinion on his ideas to cut down trees to make the fairway more 'fair' or less 'unlucky'? That's where I went off the rails and I apologize to the forum for doing so...I should know better.

OMD's argument is based on his 'feelings'. There is no luck in disc golf...it's a game of skill and the shot you get is the shot you made, nothing more.

If he came here and said, "Hey I tried out the OP's idea, played a round with some friends and this is what we found", I'd be all ears. But he's just trolling...keeping this thread alive to see how long he can keep jerking everyone's chain.

Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 15
Niced 570 Times in 337 Posts

The speculative idea that with smaller baskets there would suddenly be no more rope, flags, paint, hazards on the green is just wild to me. All those things would still be there. That’s fundamental to the game and course design. There would have to be massive course changes in a lot of tour level courses. No more beach hole at USDGC, the island in emporia is gone just off the top of my head. Those are iconic and aesthetically pleasing holes. Those still would likely exist, as well as the rope OB, flags, paint and other deliberations of OB.

Out of bounds as a concept can’t just vanish with smaller baskets. It’s integral to course design and has been a major part of the best courses to test the top pros. All that would be there AND smaller baskets. That doesn’t speed up play, or make putting less “boring” to watch for you guys. I would have to think layups would increase, because from a strategic standpoint running a 40’ putt with a significantly lower success rate would no longer make sense.

Additionally, every sport outside of competition on a professional level is supposed to be fun. They are all whomever has the most fun wins, if they aren’t fun then you really shouldn’t be spending your time on it. Life is too short to not have fun in our limited free time.

Niced: (4)
Old 11-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 333 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Howl View Post
Simply the most complete shutdown of a troll I have ever seen. This needs to be mandatory viewing for anyone following this thread.

Well done F Howl, well done!

Niced: (4)
Old 11-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Size Queen

Niced 230 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray View Post
Answering a hypothetical question about what people might say in 25-50 years is definitely different than saying he believes that the baskets are too big.
What do you think Simon meant when he said "Giant basket era"? It means he knows that baskets have to get smaller and will. It's that obvious.

Last edited by oldmandiscer; 11-20-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds View Post
The speculative idea that with smaller baskets there would suddenly be no more rope, flags, paint, hazards on the green is just wild to me. All those things would still be there. That’s fundamental to the game and course design. There would have to be massive course changes in a lot of tour level courses. No more beach hole at USDGC, the island in emporia is gone just off the top of my head. Those are iconic and aesthetically pleasing holes. Those still would likely exist, as well as the rope OB, flags, paint and other deliberations of OB.

Out of bounds as a concept can’t just vanish with smaller baskets. It’s integral to course design and has been a major part of the best courses to test the top pros. All that would be there AND smaller baskets. That doesn’t speed up play, or make putting less “boring” to watch for you guys. I would have to think layups would increase, because from a strategic standpoint running a 40’ putt with a significantly lower success rate would no longer make sense.

Additionally, every sport outside of competition on a professional level is supposed to be fun. They are all whomever has the most fun wins, if they aren’t fun then you really shouldn’t be spending your time on it. Life is too short to not have fun in our limited free time.
Course design shouldn't be about artificial OB and raised baskets. If you have to use those things then the course itself is terrible. Do you think Houck goes around a property looking where he can make all these gimmicks worked into a design? C'mon man.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:34 PM
Size Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanA View Post
This I agree with, but your points only defend his stance on smaller baskets...some of which I agree with by the way.

But what is everyone's opinion on his ideas to cut down trees to make the fairway more 'fair' or less 'unlucky'? That's where I went off the rails and I apologize to the forum for doing so...I should know better.

OMD's argument is based on his 'feelings'. There is no luck in disc golf...it's a game of skill and the shot you get is the shot you made, nothing more.

If he came here and said, "Hey I tried out the OP's idea, played a round with some friends and this is what we found", I'd be all ears. But he's just trolling...keeping this thread alive to see how long he can keep jerking everyone's chain.
There are numerous Pro's that think smaller baskets for the Pro's is the best solution. McBeth, Lizotte, Oakley, Freeman, Ulibarri, Brodie just to name a few have spoke about it. You think maybe they know about what is best more then you? Just maybe?

As far as cutting down trees it's valid on certain courses on certain holes. They are terrible designs that punish every good shot. If 140 Pro players play a 370 foot Par 3 which is reachable yet not 1 can birdie don't you think that is a problem? This has been a more common occurrence.

I watched the South Dakota Championship this morning and Cedar trees are 10 feet from the basket on nearly every hole. You're parked and have to putt through a tree! This stuff shouldn't happen. To make courses "tough" it's gotten to a point that we can't let players an open look from 10-15 feet. There was one 3 foot wide "fairway" that was 270 feet long. Half the holes a thumber or tommy was the best play. Can't give players a reasonable chance to land in circle 1. Putting is too easy.

Last edited by oldmandiscer; 11-20-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 172 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
What do you think Simon meant when he said "Giant basket era"? It means he knows that baskets have to get smaller and will. It's that obvious.
I think Simon meant exactly what he said. In 25-50 years, disc golfers MIGHT look back and call this the giant basket era. Again that isn't a call to make baskets smaller. The other guy said we wouldn't be using plastic discs anymore. It was a hypothetical question.

50 years ago people thought we would have flying cars.

Niced: (1)

Old 11-20-2020, 02:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Simon meant the discs will be bigger. Lids will be the go to driver.