Old 11-22-2020, 03:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 169 Times in 77 Posts
Default Divergent Discs

https://divergentdiscs.com/

I just got picked to be on this company's tester team and saw they were yet to have a thread.

They seem to be focused on the recreational/budget/beginner market. The discs are available through their site and Amazon. Based on their Amazon listings, I'm pretty sure I know who they're associated with and molded by but I have no solid info on that.

They have three discs available (slated for 2021 approval):

Narwhal- 3/3/0/0 Putter, marketed as a "one disc round" disc.

Leviathan- 5/4/-3/0 Midrange

Kraken- 7/7/-1/1 Driver, which is the one I'm most excited to try. 1.6 cm rim which is my favorite size and a great option for an entry/rec level disc.

I'll let you know how they fly once I get them.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2020, 03:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I was also chosen to receive a free disc from Divergent. I'll let ya'll know how the Narwhal flies.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:09 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,677 Times in 1,049 Posts

I wanted to apply but it says your Max D has to be less than 350... oh well. Still interested in how they fly when you guys find out.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I wanted to apply but it says your Max D has to be less than 350... oh well. Still interested in how they fly when you guys find out.
Well I'm glad I finally found an advantage to having a noodle.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2020, 06:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 639
Niced 2,834 Times in 1,585 Posts

looks like franklin finally has some competition in the same tier
Old 11-22-2020, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 105
Niced 519 Times in 242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
I just saw that. It seems to me like they want rec players to give them good reviews in exchange for some free discs.

Hopefully these "testers" are better than the MVP "testers" from a few years ago.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah I'm prepared to be brutally honest. The plastic looks driver Pro-ish, so they should at least have a leg up on Franklin there.

We shall see.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:34 PM
* Ace Member *

So, the package is shipping from Logan UT and the Amazon listing shows Infinite Discs in the title. I think the company is based out of the Philippines so it could just be a distribution thing.

However, the pictures sort of look like I blend. Really hoping that's what they are (or something similar).
Old 11-28-2020, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

So got my tester discs today. Haven't thrown them (putting with the Narwhal right now though) but hopefully tomorrow morninh.

A few notes:
I expected these to be molded by Innova. With the Infinite discs name attached, I thought maybe this was their sort of attempt at a Prodigy style Ace line. But there is no Innova tooling on the bottom. Looks like the Infinite relationship is distribution only.

Still, this feels like driver pro (albeit slick) and not like rock hard cheap faux dx. So step up on the typical beginner sets. We'll see how well it holds up.

The Narwhal is small diameter, domey, and feels fast for a putter. Speed 3.

The Leviathan is wide diameter with an old school wing to it.

The Kraken feels like a Polaris LS to me (but it has been a minute since I've thrown 'em)

Old 11-29-2020, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

So I got some throws in. First off, here's my thoughts on the plastic:

- Firm, slick driver pro-esque. No huge dings or anything (no big impacts though) but this FEELS like it will be less durable than Pro but still more durable than DX.

-The Leviathan (mid) and Kraken (fairway) had a sort of filmy feel to them that helped some with the slickness.

-The Narwhal (putter) was quite slick. But it had a rougher texture on the inside of the rim that definitely helped and I had no issues with grip or slippage. However, after talking with Divergent this texture was not on purpose... maybe it should be.

-All in all, much better plastic than the Franklins and other entry level, non major manufacturer sets. As of now, I'd say it is even a slight step up over DX but that really comes down to longevity.

As for the discs themselves:

-Narwhal Putter: Faster putter, quite understable, a lot of dome. Shaped like a Dart and I expected that sort of flight but it has more turn. Certainly not a burner by any means and was plenty workable. Fairly long for a putter. The faster putter rim speed also covered up for the turn on putting and this was a nice, straight putter in C1 and C2.

-Leviathan Midrange: Understable. Old school feeling wing but not very wide diameter. This thing wanted to flip over but still felt controllable. It turned but it didn't divebomb over. However, there was virtually no glide. Ok, there was glide but certainly not what you would expect from an understable midrange. The Narwhal flew farther for me on most shots.

-Kraken Driver: This is a Leopard clone. Feels similar, flies similar. A little less floaty but maybe a smidge faster. On a decent toss it worked out right before coming back towards center but still finishing a touch right of the initial line.

-All in all, I was fairly impressed. None of the discs will make my bag but I really liked the Kraken (and will keep working with it some, it may make its way in depending on how the plastic seasons). While the Narwhal and Leviathan aren't my cup of tea, I think this set is perfect for its intended market: beginners. And it is a great option compared to a lot of other beginner sets. All three discs will be useful and usable for a new player and its better quality plastic than most "generic" brands.

That's my .02 for now... December signifies fieldwork season for me and I'll throw these in the field bag and keeping checking them out.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Brodysseus; 11-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.