Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 170 Times in 78 Posts
Default Brody's Standstill Slog

Hey everyone. I've been working on my standstill virtually all summer and fall. Sidewinder has been helping me through a different platform but it's been a few months since I recorded and I wanted to open it up here.

Disclaimer: I suck. I know I suck. You're not gonna hurt my feelings so rip me apart.

https://youtu.be/TAhjrWEvdIA
https://youtu.be/N_p4AepbPyA
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2020, 10:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Oh and for reference, here's a video from the start of this standstill/form rework.

https://youtu.be/Eo5kHq4dJy4
Old 11-23-2020, 02:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,408 Times in 2,676 Posts

Your stance is too wide and staggered to make a proper shift so everything is spinning out before shifting forward.

Your arm is curling up and swinging downward nose up. Try to keep the wrist/disc swinging below the elbow and lagged behind. Let go of your arm/disc, don't try to curl and spin it, just swing the lower arm.

Left arm behind your back is no bueno.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Your arm is curling up and swinging downward nose up. Try to keep the wrist/disc swinging below the elbow and lagged behind. Let go of your arm/disc, don't try to curl and spin it, just swing the lower arm.
My knight in shining armor has arrived. This piece is always an issue with me no matter what, stance, grip, swing thought, etc. Is reciprocating dingle arm the best thing to focus on for this specific issue?

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 570 Times in 314 Posts

I have the exact same problem as you. I did the “right pec drill” for years and did it wrong, so I just taught myself to strong arm instead of throwing correctly.

One epiphany I’ve had recently is that it’s really hard to fix this if trying to throw far. Your going to tense up and fall back on old muscle memory when trying to crush the disc. This is all about learning to generate power with the lower body, and the only way to do that is to keep everything loose. So I’d stand 100 feet from the target, and just focus on a slow, smooth swing, focus on generating power with your hips, nice weight transfer, balanced inside your posture. Also, maybe swing back a little lower and wider. It takes a serious commitment I’ve discovered. I had a nice smooth swing and was getting my dx eagles out to 350 from a stand still this summer. Then I decided that I had it all figured out. I started playing a bunch of tournaments and rounds, stopped doing field work, and went right back to strong arming and maxing out at 300 lol.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Eagle Member

Default Brody's Standstill Slog

You do a better job of that front hip to the sky than I do, when I try to throw hard I come over the top and lead with my ear instead of leading with my chin. Your swing kind of reminds me of Josh Anthon here. I think the biggest difference is he’s getting more lag than you so he comes back high in the backswing but let’s the disc fall lower before swinging through while you may be rushing a bit and swinging through high to low with the disc nose up as Sidewinder said. I will say I think you’re really close to having this thing figured out, just slower and looser and I bet you’ll start bombing effortlessly.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...shanthon.shtml
Old 11-23-2020, 12:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by azplaya25 View Post
You do a better job of that front hip to the sky than I do, when I try to throw hard I come over the top and lead with my ear instead of leading with my chin. Your swing kind of reminds me of Josh Anthon here. I think the biggest difference is he’s getting more lag than you so he comes back high in the backswing but let’s the disc fall lower before swinging through while you may be rushing a bit and swinging through high to low with the disc nose up as Sidewinder said. I will say I think you’re really close to having this thing figured out, just slower and looser and I bet you’ll start bombing effortlessly.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...shanthon.shtml
Yeah I can see the resemblance. He does drop and "clear his shoulders". Not sure how to explain it but not only do I swoop but it looks like my shoulders are in the way of eachother on my pull.

After my Black Friday solo round, one Thanksgiving tradition I'm actually observing this year, it's definitely field only season for a bit. Gonna throw a lot of putters and comets.

Thanks for the encouragement too... feels like I've been circling a decent pull for a bit now, hopefully the circles are getting smaller and it will click soon.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
Yeah I can see the resemblance. He does drop and "clear his shoulders". Not sure how to explain it but not only do I swoop but it looks like my shoulders are in the way of eachother on my pull.

After my Black Friday solo round, one Thanksgiving tradition I'm actually observing this year, it's definitely field only season for a bit. Gonna throw a lot of putters and comets.

Thanks for the encouragement too... feels like I've been circling a decent pull for a bit now, hopefully the circles are getting smaller and it will click soon.

No problem- the greatest enemy of this whole thing is frustration/lack of patience. Besides a month long break to play some tourneys, I’ve been throwing a hammer and filming my form 3-4 times a week since March. It can get frustrating reading the forums and seeing people who have been at it for only a couple months hitting 400, so it’s good to remember that it takes a long time for most people. You go look at HUBs blog, he was working for 3-4 years before he started really bombing
Old 11-23-2020, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Along with all of sidewinder and hubs stuff, I’ve enjoyed Randy’s videos as well. This one on rhythm is short but sweet

https://youtu.be/4KPHR-G8RRs

Old 11-23-2020, 07:02 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 319 Times in 184 Posts

Lean your upper body over the balls of your feet instead of weight back on heels. Also shift your hips a little more right to get on top of that right leg. That’s your brace against spin out.

Watch the golf YT link above Shawn Clement.