Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 66 Times in 53 Posts
Default Braced Tilt vs. Tipping Over

https://youtu.be/YambPKUo45E

Great video by SW22.

I do have one question for the video author, though. In the attached screencap, it looks to me like the player on the left is doing a slightly better job than Seppo at having his feet not separate as far ahead of his knees. What is it about what Seppo is doing here that makes his stride better led with his butt?

Sorry about the confusion. This is just one aspect of good throwing form that I just haven't been able to grasp or understand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201118_155419.jpg (81.2 KB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,399 Times in 2,668 Posts

Seppo's CoG is landing more in front of his rear foot CoP or right on top it. If you land your CoG behind the rear foot CoP it will only slow you down and you will have to either pull or push your CoG forward of rear foot CoP to begin accelerating again. Instead of letting gravity do most the work falling forward of rear foot CoP into plant.

Just think about walking or running. You tip your CoG targetward of your feet to begin momentum and the feet catch up underneath you/CoG to push forward, but they don't stride out ahead of your CoG unless you are landing on heels first and slowing or braking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Oylh4t8G8&t=5m23s

Old 11-18-2020, 08:42 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 66 Times in 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Seppo's CoG is landing more in front of his rear foot CoP or right on top it. If you land your CoG behind the rear foot CoP it will only slow you down and you will have to either pull or push your CoG forward of rear foot CoP to begin accelerating again and letting gravity do most the work falling forward of rear foot CoP into plant.

Just think about walking or running. You tip your CoG targetward of your feet to begin momentum and the feet catch up underneath you/CoG to push forward, but they don't stride out ahead of your CoG unless you are landing on heels first and slowing or braking.
Ah, that makes sense. I saw your comment on the video to someone asking a similar question right after I posted.

I've been realizing lately just how much I am fighting against my lower half before the brace even occurs by landing behind my center of pressure on the rear foot, and also internally rotating the front femur/hip before plant. This helps a lot. It seems like when I do make the adjustment in the lower half I tend to be really stiff/robotic with a really slow transfer between the feet. Gotta learn to do it while staying fluid and relaxed now.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Niced 19 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You're saying that in a throw, the brace is a lot like stopping yourself if you're walking or running right? not to continue that motion through towards the target, except by throwing the disc.

This might be helpful to someone else, but something you said to me in my form critique thread is to plant your foot into the ground like a shifty running back. That really made me think of the Mookie Betts video I saw a couple of weeks ago, right in the beginning, at about 3 seconds:

You can really see him sticking that leg into the ground and bracing it, in order to suddenly change direction. Basically, instead of using that power from a brace to transfer it into a sudden direction change, we're trying to transfer it into our disc, I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mookie.JPG (49.9 KB, 116 views)

Old 11-23-2020, 01:46 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 419 Times in 309 Posts

Yeah exactly but instead of a full direction change its more of a stop because you don't want to spend energy pushing your body away from target, just enough to stop it suddenly. Just a matter of magnitude. I think the running back to has to put even more force into the ground to go from left to right, where a disc golf throw just needs to go from forward to stopped. But both are bracing the same way.