Old 11-18-2020, 11:50 AM
Par Member

Niced 99 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I want one as a toy. I have a good idea of how far I can throw certain discs in a field. I don't necessarily have a good idea of how far I throw them with a certain amount of effort around a tree or through a gap. I think that would help me. Also, since there are a LOT of holes that I can't reach, it would help me figure out where I want to land.

I likely won't get one because...

1) I'm not sure I'd use it much after I played with it at my regular course. It would be super nice for tournament practice rounds, but I'm not sure how often I'll have that opportunity.

2) The "that guy" stigma. Everyone loves to make fun of the guy that has a bag full of discs or a cart or whatever else and maybe plans 800 or 850 golf. Which is honestly messed up. One shouldn't feel shame in doing things that they think would make their experience better.
I love to make fun of "that guy", "that guy" = me, I often look at my 4 boxes of discs and practice basket filled with Aviars and laugh to myself thinking "you aren't much better than when you had 3 discs in your trunk"
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 142
Niced 399 Times in 192 Posts

As I approach 50, my vision isn't anywhere near as precise as I'd like. My distance from one day to the next changes too much as well, so I end up 40-50 feet short or long of my typical landing zone often. North Texas has mostly open courses so using landmarks isn't that much help either.
Plus my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas

Niced: (2)
Old 11-19-2020, 06:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 620 Times in 262 Posts

In lieu of a range finder, I could probably better utilize UDisc. Right now, I throw a good drive and I measure it.

On holes that I play frequently and can't reach, I should be measuring from the tee to trouble spots and my landing zones. And then be doing the same thing from the basket. This tree is 280 out. OB walking path 296 out. If I land here, I'm 140 out. If I miss left and land here, I'm 220 out. And so forth.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM
Par Member

Niced 90 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
In lieu of a range finder, I could probably better utilize UDisc. Right now, I throw a good drive and I measure it.

On holes that I play frequently and can't reach, I should be measuring from the tee to trouble spots and my landing zones. And then be doing the same thing from the basket. This tree is 280 out. OB walking path 296 out. If I land here, I'm 140 out. If I miss left and land here, I'm 220 out. And so forth.
I try to make mental notes like that every time I play one of my local courses, no reason not to have every round be similar to an autox course walkthrough.

Unless I'm playing a tournament round, I spend those rounds trying to stay focused only on what my next shot needs to be.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Niced 620 Times in 262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
I try to make mental notes like that every time I play one of my local courses, no reason not to have every round be similar to an autox course walkthrough.

Unless I'm playing a tournament round, I spend those rounds trying to stay focused only on what my next shot needs to be.
Yeah. I try to do the same. I'd just like to have numbers to it.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 142
Niced 399 Times in 192 Posts

Bought this one yesterday. It had a one-day-only 15% discount and a $10 off coupon so I got it with tax and shipping for about $6 less than this listed price. It says it can measure within one yard and down to 4 meters. If it doesn't have a setting to convert to feet I'll manage - I use meters on the course a lot anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-23-2020, 02:17 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 38 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Fun fact: Two eyes only provide binocular depth perception out to about 20 feet.
Whoever told you that "fact" was lying
Old 11-23-2020, 02:25 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Niced 2,845 Times in 1,187 Posts

Fun fact: Two eyes only provide binocular depth perception out to about 20 feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discbee View Post
Whoever told you that "fact" was lying
Research it for yourself.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-23-2020, 02:26 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 38 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:

Research it for yourself.
I have done a bit of research. Binocularity does become somewhat less important for things far way, but 20 feet still gets a lot of visual cues based on your two eyes (stereopsis) along with other clues (motion parallax, known sizes etc.). Try having an athlete judge a fly ball in the outfield with one eye closed and see how it impacts their success (and that is way more than 20 feet)

Last edited by Discbee; 11-23-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:34 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Niced 2,845 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discbee View Post
Whoever told you that "fact" was lying. Binocularity does becomes somewhat less important for things far way, but 20 feet still gets a lot of visual cues based on your two eyes (stereopsis) along with other clues (motion parallax, known sizes etc.). Try having an athlete judge a fly ball in the outfield with one eye closed and see how it impacts their success
Two eyes can matter when the ball is getting within 20 feet. Any outfielder relies on lizard brain training and anticipation to get within range of the ball's trajectory. Two eyes do help bring it in when it gets close. What I stated is still scientifically accurate. For example, no problem getting a driver's license with one good eye because you can learn or already have learned how to judge distances using various visual cues without binocular vision. My original point was that those with just one eye can learn how to judge distances past 20 feet as well as those with two eyes.