Old 07-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 18 Posts
Default Rhyno: Why don't more pros use them?

I have always been a big fan of the old champ and pro rhynos. The flat, OOP, ontario ones specifically. I haven't tried the factory store "stiff pro rhynos" but heard they are nice. I've owned and thrown just about every Rhyno ever made. Proline, Pro, Ontario pearly domey champ, Ontario flat glass top champ, gummies, san marino, rancho, dx, dx flat top, etc. I am not necessary a fan of thumbtracks but I love the lack of glide / drop on a dime, straight to fade path that I can run at the basket, panning annys that don't flip and burn, and usefulness on approaches (BH and FH).

What got me thinking about this question was Aviar3 thread, where McBeth went from P2 to Aviar3 now to champ aviar for an approach putter. The answer is easy, GET A RHYNO! I'm not a fan of the "new/current run" champs, dx, and gstars (San Marino and rancho tooled). They are too domey and don't have as much late fade IMO. They don't feel right in the hand. The current runs of Rpros are nice, but I can understand not liking the floppiness. I'm sure the pros sponsored by Innova could get their hands on some flat champs if they wanted.

So my question, why don't more pros throw rhynos? I can't name a single one who does. I don't think I've seen an ITB with rhynos. Can the pros accomplish rhyno shots with their throwing putters, so they don't need one?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 76
Niced 184 Times in 116 Posts

In Alex Geisingers old ITB video he had a Champion Rhyno. I see a lot of Innova pros with Gators. I think there would be some overlap if they carried a Rhyno & a Gator. Most Innova pros probably choose to power down an overstable mid or throw their driving putter on a hyzer. I think the Rhyno is a great mold, even if most pros don't bag it.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 1,541 Times in 794 Posts

MJ used to putt them. Zones too. Don't know about approaches.

The guy who won the St Patrick Classic this year in Masters, uses a Rhyno for approaches. But it does seem like the OS putter (which is one of my favorite spots in my bag) doesn't get much use at the top right now.

....just looked this up. He's not a pro, but as a Rhyno lover, you might find this anecdotal: according to his piece on the Innova page, Andrew Zimmern drives with one on short holes.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,990 Times in 868 Posts

There are a few pros out there who use them, Logan Bowers, David Wiggins, William Gummeson and a few other European players, but yeah, at the top, you don't see many.

I love Rhynos, If they only made a Rhyno in KC plastic that was consistently flat!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:37 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 14
Niced 765 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
There are a few pros out there who use them, Logan Bowers, David Wiggins, William Gummeson and a few other European players, but yeah, at the top, you don't see many.

I love Rhynos, If they only made a Rhyno in KC plastic that was consistently flat!
*Cough* RDG Scale *Cough*

I think most "good" players dont necessarily need an OS PnA because their own ability allows them manipulate a stable disc in a way that us normal folk cannot.

Our local sponsored pro rarely bags a Scale (Rhyno Improved). Instead he throws Serpents (straight PnA) on any line you can think of, including forehand. He prefers to use hyzer, flat or anny releases instead of the straight to fade dump that a classic beefy PnA provides.

Personally, I couldn't live without an OS PnA simply because they are nails for up shots. Throw it out and let them crash in.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Local Pro Matt Dollar used to throw and putt with Rhynos when he was with Innova. Now he is with Latitude, and I am pretty sure he uses the Caltrop now.

And although the Factory Store Rhynos are not KC plastic, but they are stiffish and flat. I like Rpro, but the factory ones are awesome as well. I personally carry a Star Ontario that is flat and gummy and either a Factory Stiff or production Rpro.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 67
Niced 165 Times in 98 Posts

Gregg Barsby throws Rhynos.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,379 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
Local Pro Matt Dollar used to throw and putt with Rhynos when he was with Innova. Now he is with Latitude, and I am pretty sure he uses the Caltrop now.

And although the Factory Store Rhynos are not KC plastic, but they are stiffish and flat. I like Rpro, but the factory ones are awesome as well. I personally carry a Star Ontario that is flat and gummy and either a Factory Stiff or production Rpro.

Did Matt Dollar give up the Sinus? He was using that in the past...
Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 44
Niced 670 Times in 391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
I think most "good" players dont necessarily need an OS PnA because their own ability allows them manipulate a stable disc in a way that us normal folk cannot.
^This. I guess if I could release a Champ Aviar or P2 cleanly enough that I could throw one of those out to 275 feet on a pure hyzer in a headwind, then I might have no need for an OS putter as well. I personally love my Pigs, which I use for any upshot or short drive that I can throw on a hyzer line. I can trust them to crash in on target and never go long. They're also shallow enough that I can easily exercise my very poor forehand with them. I think the depth and the bead of the Rhyno probably make it a less than ideal forehand disc for many players who lean that way (although I think Logan Bowers used to forehand his).

Old 07-26-2017, 12:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 12
Niced 600 Times in 411 Posts

I'll take charge of this issue and go pro and be the pro who bags Rhynos. I'm about to take the plunge and work the various other putters out of my bag, though the Nova might stay until I can get a Rhyno to that spot. I can throw my GStar about 250 if I'm trying to accurately crush it. I've thrown DX, Ontario R-Pro, Rancho R-Pro, SM GStar, Rancho Champ and Star SM versions with my fav being my beat up Ontario R-Pro that would make annys look absolutely effortless.