Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 04-27-2020, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,058 Times in 800 Posts
Default Those who throw 500' backhand, which method do you use?

I don't throw 500', but I feel like its within reach. I can do 450' pretty steadily with a variety of fast drivers. I seem to be fairly stuck at that distance though. Once in a blue moon I'll uncork one that's probably near 475', but I can't do it consistently at all. That's maybe a 1 in 300 throw. I had 1 magical throw today with a 167g star Corvette that may have touched 475'. Everything was perfect, and I could tell right as I released it that it would be big. It was easily the longest drive I've ever thrown on that particular practice field in over 4 years of work. Unfortunately everything else I threw on the day was at least 25' short of that.

I guess my question is, which method is best for maximizing the power I have? Flat, hyzerflip, anny? I can do 450' with all 3 of those.

If you're in a field with a stack of your longest driver going for max distance, what type of line are you going to use? Enlighten me. My personal favorite is a big, high anny that I start left of the target and let it work right.

Another question is, how high are you trying to throw it? I love trying to throw fast discs high, but if you don't get over on them enough they stall out and fall short. All my very longest drives have been high and turned over enough to not stall.

Note: all my throws and measurements are done on flat ground in at least semi calm conditions. I'm not sitting there throwing a blizzard Katana into a 30 MPH tailwind down a hill trying for 475'.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,411 Times in 2,679 Posts

IMO...

Flat doesn't exist, especially for distance line thrown upward. You need the disc to turnover nose down for distance so it can glide out on the way down without stalling out.

Anhyzer is more consistent for distance, but harder on the body. Needs stable to overstable disc thrown quite high out to the left.

Hyzer is a little less consistent for distance, but more potential and easier on the body. Needs understable disc thrown out to the left as well, but not quite as high as it will flip up and over and then flex/glide out.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml

Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
IMO...

Flat doesn't exist, especially for distance line thrown upward. You need the disc to turnover nose down for distance so it can glide out on the way down without stalling out.

Anhyzer is more consistent for distance, but harder on the body. Needs stable to overstable disc thrown quite high out to the left.

Hyzer is a little less consistent for distance, but more potential and easier on the body. Needs understable disc thrown out to the left as well, but not quite as high as it will flip up and over and then flex/glide out.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ncelines.shtml
I'm talking about a flat release. I get what you're saying though. You absolutely need the disc to flex out somewhat if you're going to get any good distance. Something like a Katana is a good disc to release flat. It'll bend to the right somewhat before coming back late.

I've had some astounding hyzerflips, but I agree they aren't super consistent. The disc often will flip over too much or not enough. Wind can play havoc with hyzerflips too.

I love annys, but they aren't always easy to throw. Sometimes I'll get the height I want, but not put enough anny on the disc. Predictably, it ends up stalling out way short.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 PM
* Ace Member *

That article you linked to is a good read too...
Old 04-27-2020, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,411 Times in 2,679 Posts

Old 04-27-2020, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I guess I'm not really surprised he threw Katanas for most of the shots. Those things are super long. I'm a little surprised more pros don't bag a Katana for sheer open power.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:11 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 261
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 157 Times in 38 Posts

Envision a golf shot thrown with a fast, stable disc. Anhyzer release, nose down but trajectory a little higher than normal. Watch the way Barry Schultz throws distance shots—it’s his normal release but he manipulates angles to increase potential without sacrificing consistency. The optimal shot for this method is slowly coming out of anhyzer the entire time. Once it’s back to a hyzer angle it won’t penetrate as well.

When you’ve mastered those angles, go figure out how to add more power (brace, grip, extension...).

When you’ve figured out how to add more power, go remaster your angles.

Ain’t a distance thrower but that’s my cycle for gaining usable golf distance.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish58320 View Post
Envision a golf shot thrown with a fast, stable disc. Anhyzer release, nose down but trajectory a little higher than normal. Watch the way Barry Schultz throws distance shots—it’s his normal release but he manipulates angles to increase potential without sacrificing consistency. The optimal shot for this method is slowly coming out of anhyzer the entire time. Once it’s back to a hyzer angle it won’t penetrate as well.

When you’ve mastered those angles, go figure out how to add more power (brace, grip, extension...).

When you’ve figured out how to add more power, go remaster your angles.

Ain’t a distance thrower but that’s my cycle for gaining usable golf distance.

My main issue is getting good consistent anny releases. I'll get the disc high enough, but often it isn't anny enough. The disc will stall out way early and fall to the ground like a brick. When I do everything right I can touch 450'+ on good anny rips. The inconsistency is maddening. I don't feel like I have the proper mechanics to throw that shot regularly.

No matter what I do it feels like the disc wants to come out flat or hyzer.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 922 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
My main issue is getting good consistent anny releases. I'll get the disc high enough, but often it isn't anny enough. The disc will stall out way early and fall to the ground like a brick. When I do everything right I can touch 450'+ on good anny rips. The inconsistency is maddening. I don't feel like I have the proper mechanics to throw that shot regularly.

No matter what I do it feels like the disc wants to come out flat or hyzer.
How is your footwork? I ask because I come from ball golf as a background, and foot placement is one of the biggest ways that golfers adjust shot shape:

https://www.golf.com/instruction/201...pros-heres-how

It's possible that you're not getting your plant foot closed enough to facilitate the anny angle. Just a thought.

Old 04-28-2020, 03:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
How is your footwork? I ask because I come from ball golf as a background, and foot placement is one of the biggest ways that golfers adjust shot shape:

https://www.golf.com/instruction/201...pros-heres-how

It's possible that you're not getting your plant foot closed enough to facilitate the anny angle. Just a thought.
I've never given footwork any real thought. I'll have to investigate it and see what's up.