Old 10-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
Should have probably worded that better not lack of distance but knowledge. Yes hips do rotate but do you consciously rotate them is a different animal. Just a thought process here if you were on a snowboard the way you are describing the throw and the hip action would essentially be the start of a 360. Spinning the rear hip would send your left side around the front side and it΄s not very efficent way to throw. I imagine if I were to throw whilst on a snowboard it would push the nose of the board down and lift the rear end.
It's hard to describe but it's definitely not the mentality of intentionally trying to just rotate the hips. Like I don't consciously think about rotation or amount of rotation, etc. It is a conscious effort though to come into the plant position withthat loaded up feeling in the hips and torso. You have to be able yo feel the rotation in the hips and especially the torso and backside of the shoulder yo be able to throw correctly. The "one leg drill" (which I believe should be the "two leg drill) actually helps to promote the correct initial hip rotation.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2020, 04:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 230
Niced 4,401 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
It's hard to describe but it's definitely not the mentality of intentionally trying to just rotate the hips. Like I don't consciously think about rotation or amount of rotation, etc. It is a conscious effort though to come into the plant position withthat loaded up feeling in the hips and torso. You have to be able yo feel the rotation in the hips and especially the torso and backside of the shoulder yo be able to throw correctly. The "one leg drill" (which I believe should be the "two leg drill) actually helps to promote the correct initial hip rotation.
Wouldn't Two Leg Drill just be a normal golf or batting stance starting with weight pressure distribution about equal 50/50, and shifting back to 20/80 or more? Two Leg Drill would imply equality on both legs I would think.

I believe it's called One Leg Drill because the majority of weight and rotational axis remains on front leg. Weight pressure might get to 80/20, but certainly not shifting a majority of weight back or the rotational axis. Some people also call it the Flamingo Drill, maybe the 80/20 Drill would be better for the pedants.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:26 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Wouldn't Two Leg Drill just be a normal golf or batting stance starting with weight pressure distribution about equal 50/50, and shifting back to 20/80 or more? Two Leg Drill would imply equality on both legs I would think.

I believe it's called One Leg Drill because the majority of weight and rotational axis remains on front leg. Weight pressure might get to 80/20, but certainly not shifting a majority of weight back or the rotational axis. Some people also call it the Flamingo Drill, maybe the 80/20 Drill would be better for the pedants.
I just watched your video again, the part where you throw at the beginning and as the backswing happens your weight shifts to the rear foot then at reachback you transition forward with that slight turn of the hips and then your weight shifts to the front leg. It had a lot of people confused because they are thinking you try to balance all your weight on the front leg all the time during the drill. But that isn't good mechanics. There has to be a weight shift and thus you have to use "two" legs.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Par Member

Niced 170 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
I just watched your video again, the part where you throw at the beginning and as the backswing happens your weight shifts to the rear foot then at reachback you transition forward with that slight turn of the hips and then your weight shifts to the front leg. It had a lot of people confused because they are thinking you try to balance all your weight on the front leg all the time during the drill. But that isn't good mechanics. There has to be a weight shift and thus you have to use "two" legs.
This is just not correct. I have great balance, and its still hard for me, but I can absolutely stand on one leg and generate ground up power into my swing.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
This is just not correct. I have great balance, and its still hard for me, but I can absolutely stand on one leg and generate ground up power into my swing.
Maybe a little but I would bet it's mostly arm.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 315 Times in 181 Posts

For a bystander reading this thread, if it says ‘drill’ then it’s only a small part of the whole. Football players high-step through tires, which is ridiculous without tires on field during games. By definition a drill is not a complete and fully formed technique.

__________ (fill in the blank) drill is not the gold standard backhand stroke for use on the course. It’s... a... drill.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
For a bystander reading this thread, if it says ‘drill’ then it’s only a small part of the whole. Football players high-step through tires, which is ridiculous without tires on field during games. By definition a drill is not a complete and fully formed technique.

__________ (fill in the blank) drill is not the gold standard backhand stroke for use on the course. It’s... a... drill.
I agree. And in Sidewinders one leg drill, his practice throws at the beginning has him using both legs. Thus it's really a two leg drill, or should be. There is no benefit to balancing on one leg and throwing from it, that would reinforce and teach all arm mechanics.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:38 PM
Par Member

Niced 170 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
I agree. And in Sidewinders one leg drill, his practice throws at the beginning has him using both legs. Thus it's really a two leg drill, or should be. There is no benefit to balancing on one leg and throwing from it, that would reinforce and teach all arm mechanics.
You are 100% just straight up wrong. And honestly, this exact moment of complete wrongness might be the crux of your entire saga of 'spin' that I have read about.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingBoats View Post
You are 100% just straight up wrong. And honestly, this exact moment of complete wrongness might be the crux of your entire saga of 'spin' that I have read about.
Tell me, how do you initiate hip and torso rotation while balancing only on your front leg? I cant remember who it was but they showed a video and they were all arm with their arm draging their shoulders and hips around from the momentum.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:49 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 315 Times in 181 Posts

The hip rotation IS the shifting of weight to the front leg.

Edit: on full throws, not up shots