Old 11-03-2020, 01:51 PM

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Chasing discs with FPV drones

So this idea kept spinning for quite some time now and I think it was around August or September when I crossed paths with these two young guns from the center of Switzerland who are really passionate about FPV. I came up with the idea of them throwing their drones at my discs and making follow flight pictures. To my excitement, they were on and we just met a week ago to try and practice some follow flight shots in my vicinity. Here is the video:

Some considerations and points from my side:
- some misfired shots
- driving technique and consistency has surely room for improvement
- shots on a downwards slope for longer airtime

It seems quite challenging to slow the drone down while keeping the angle of the mounted camera on, as soon as it catches up with the disc in flight. The natural thing to to seems to yaw/roll around the disc, but this results in sometimes unwanted wild maneuvers.

Let us know what you think about! What would you want to see differently? Any fpv cracks out there struggling with the same, or have figured it out? What would you do?

-------------------

Pilots:
Pirmin, Cinematic FPV since 2015: https://www.instagram.com/swissdroneflights/
Julian, SDF Racing Pilot: https://www.instagram.com/rekt_fpv/

Video editing by Pirmin!

Have a project, want to learn more or get into FPV? (Switzerland)
https://www.swissdroneflights.ch

-------------------

On a personal note:
Huge shoutout and thanks to Pirmin and Julian for making this little dream of mine reality!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by timg; 11-04-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 569 Times in 279 Posts

I purchased a drone at the start of COVID. It crashed and self destructed, I haven't purchased another although I probably will at some point. Keeping a disc framed up like that is really tricky. Some cool shots in there.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks! I also am just trying to get some maneuvers in with a tiny whoop, it's really making me appreciate the skills to develop..
Old 11-04-2020, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 110
Niced 244 Times in 136 Posts

Here is some similar footage i found pretty cool.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 531 Times in 270 Posts

Nauseous with a headache. Too much commotion. Would prefer to not see the other drone in any of the shots.

Good work though.

The second vid was a little more on point. Less flapping around and a lot more disc flight. But it was too short.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 83
Niced 1,929 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
Nauseous with a headache. Too much commotion. Would prefer to not see the other drone in any of the shots.

Good work though.

The second vid was a little more on point. Less flapping around and a lot more disc flight. But it was too short.
Yeah, some 180-degree rule would be nice for the comfort of the audience. Not every follow shot needs to be a 270-degree pan.

Still, pretty neat!

Niced: (2)
Old 11-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 81
Niced 332 Times in 114 Posts

Very, very cool.
As a player I would prefer to see more of the disc's natural flight with the drone maybe 20-50 feet from the disc. I would prefer full flights where the drone follows the disc or flies above the disc or flies alongside.
I get the feeling the drone operator is "showing off" what the drone can do so many of the clips get a little too crazy for me.
Still cool though!

Niced: (3)
Old 11-05-2020, 02:05 AM

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Yeah, some 180-degree rule would be nice for the comfort of the audience. Not every follow shot needs to be a 270-degree pan.

Still, pretty neat!
Thanks for the feedback! Thats for sure a good point to take away!

Old 11-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 211
Niced 281 Times in 141 Posts

These are pretty cool. Definitely needs some skill.

One thing I've wondered on these, since you are probably using both hands (thumbs) to fly the drone, does the camera frame up the disc automatically, or are you using a third hand () to focus the camera on the disc?

Old 11-05-2020, 04:14 PM

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassila View Post
Very, very cool.
As a player I would prefer to see more of the disc's natural flight with the drone maybe 20-50 feet from the disc. I would prefer full flights where the drone follows the disc or flies above the disc or flies alongside.
I get the feeling the drone operator is "showing off" what the drone can do so many of the clips get a little too crazy for me.
Still cool though!
I think what you are picturing is where we really woulld like getting to! The current problem seems to be the camera angle of the GoPro mounted with a 30-45 degree angle so the camera view captures what is in front of the device when you tilt the drone forward to move in this direction. To slow down the drone the natural thing to do seems to tilt backwards and for the camera view to stay on the disc it comes natural for the pilots to roll and yaw around it. Thats were those maneuvers come from and we would really like to find new ways for the stop motion or may be there is another drone setup which would do the trick?

Thank you for the great reply. The acro moves is something distinct to fpv and kind of an expressive thing and I find it fitting for the clip, but thats certainly a matter of taste.

Cheers, Florian