Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Twitch's Bag (Help Needed!)

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 2 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Pure 200/240'; Buzzz: 240/270; Valkyrie 290/330'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Bad shoulder from high school sports - no hammers for me.
Other sport proficiencies?: Basketball, Tennis, Bowling, Ball Golf, Baseball
Additional Information: I'm 5 foot 9 and used to be very involved in organized sports, primarily tennis and basketball. However, I'm in law school now and I've definitely gained a lot lf weight . I still compete regularly in basketball leagues though, so I'm in passable shape. I have pretty good body control and push myself hard (if I'm not in the library, I'm disc golfing), so be aggressive in your suggestions for me! I tend to be fairly obsessive about hobbies I pick up, and disc golf is certainly no exception .

What I score: I know this is all contextual since we all play at different courses, but on my local courses, I currently shoot between scratch (E at El Dorado) to +10 (La Mirada).

Bag: Innova Competition Bag w/ Phenix Quad Shocks

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Star Wraith, (used but stable) - main driver for open fields or hyzer shots
175 Champion Valkyrie, (used but stable) - main driver for straight shots
170 Star Sidewinder, (beat in) - annys
175 Star TL, (used but stable) - driver for 200-280 foot shots

Mids:
177 Z Buzzz, (slightly used) - main mid
175 Whippet, (new) - just for shots where I want to hyzer it

Putters:
174 Zero Line Pure, (beat) - main putter

Extra discs I have but don't yet use:
175 Champion Monarch (used)
175 Champion Starfire (used)
174 Zero Line Spike (new)
175 Pinnacle Rampage (used)
180 San Marino Roc (used)
169 Pro Wraith (new)
166 Pro Wraith (beat in)
175 Star Destroyer (used)
175 ESP Nuke
175 Star Boss (New)
172 Champion XCaliber (beat in)

My main question: I don't have many shots in my repertoire yet - I pretty much just throw standard RHBH on everything. I would like to know what discs the DGCR community would recommend to fill out my bag as I learn more shots and increase the distance of my drives!

Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well what I see is that you should get some use out of some more fairway type drivers. The only one you have right now is the TL. The TL is a very good stable disc I carry 3 of them. You might want to try a fairway thats more understable/stable like a Eagle or leopard. Also a fairway that is overstable like a banshee or firebird or maybe a champ teebird (not a L mod). You might find a little more use out of some lighter discs yours are all max wieght or very close. Try some in the mid to upper 160's. Also If you like your putter get a new one and use it for driving.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo69 View Post
Well what I see is that you should get some use out of some more fairway type drivers. The only one you have right now is the TL. The TL is a very good stable disc I carry 3 of them. You might want to try a fairway thats more understable/stable like a Eagle or leopard. Also a fairway that is overstable like a banshee or firebird or maybe a champ teebird (not a L mod). You might find a little more use out of some lighter discs yours are all max wieght or very close. Try some in the mid to upper 160's. Also If you like your putter get a new one and use it for driving.
Thanks for the input! I have two followup questions:

1) What kind of shot would an Eagle or leopard be superior to the Sidewinder? I currently use my beat in Sidewinder as an understable fairway driver, though I do sometimes throw it at half strength. I'm guessing that it would be better to throw an Eagle or leopard at closer to full strength than to kill my arm speed.

2) What's the benefit of using my putter to drive with rather than a midrange?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

1) You will always want to use the slowest disc to possible to make the shot you want. It will give you far more control. Any time you can keep your arm speed/power you put on the disc the same it's only going to make you more consistent in the end. I am no expert but this is what I have found. When you power down your throw you have a better chance of throwing the timing off therefor your results can get very inconsistent.

2) See #1 The only time you are really better of "discing up" is in the case that say you’re on the tee and it's a 220' to the basket which is well in your range with your putter but the hole is a hard dog leg to the left in that case you would be better off throwing a stable to overstable mid powered down a little. You have to keep in mind that a faster disc powered down is going to fade left much much more than if it’s tossed at full power.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
1) You will always want to use the slowest disc to possible to make the shot you want. It will give you far more control. Any time you can keep your arm speed/power you put on the disc the same it's only going to make you more consistent in the end. I am no expert but this is what I have found. When you power down your throw you have a better chance of throwing the timing off therefor your results can get very inconsistent.
This makes sense - it confirms what I've been suspecting.

Quote:
2) See #1 The only time you are really better of "discing up" is in the case that say you’re on the tee and it's a 220' to the basket which is well in your range with your putter but the hole is a hard dog leg to the left in that case you would be better off throwing a stable to overstable mid powered down a little. You have to keep in mind that a faster disc powered down is going to fade left much much more than if it’s tossed at full power.
Gotcha - I just ordered 5 more putters with which to practice putting. I'll designate one of those to drive with.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:54 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That’s good with the putters. Also I forgot to state this before the eagle and leopard are very good discs to work on your form. You will know it if you messed up when you throw them. Also if any of the putters you ordered weigh more than the one you have I would use the one that is the heaviest as the one you drive with.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 179
Niced 2,647 Times in 1,219 Posts

Drivers are too heavy, Wraith is possibly too fast, Valk-SW-TL can potentially overlap at your distance.

As far as BH shots, you've got your meathook (Whippet), your stable distance (Valk), understable distance (SW although a beat Valk does well here to reduce molds) and stable fairway (TL). You've got the stable mid (Buzzz) and your putter. The Wraith I think you can improve upon a lot. Since you could potentially use a more overstable fairway driver, I'd try an Eagle(x) or Teebird. If you want to go a little faster, PD, OLF, and Striker would also work.

Now, as BH only you'll need some help for "FH holes." Run out and get an understable mid, ASAP. Fuse, Meteor, Squall, Comet, Buzzz SS, Mako, etc will all work and teach you clean form. The SW annys well but you might want a slower driver also. Something where you don't have the room to get the SW up to speed but you need a driver line. Leopard is the easy button here. Polaris, Cheetah, Xpress will also work. This disc will also help clean your form. Cleaner form = more distance and accuracy.

Since you can't throw OH, practice things like spike hyzers, skips, rollers, grenades and such.

Cheers
Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Loving the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Drivers are too heavy, Wraith is possibly too fast, Valk-SW-TL can potentially overlap at your distance.
I started heavy because I figured I would grow into it, though I'm sure they're too heavy for me at this point. Maybe I'll look to trade some of my playing partners for some lighter drivers.

Quote:
As far as BH shots, you've got your meathook (Whippet), your stable distance (Valk), understable distance (SW although a beat Valk does well here to reduce molds) and stable fairway (TL). You've got the stable mid (Buzzz) and your putter. The Wraith I think you can improve upon a lot. Since you could potentially use a more overstable fairway driver, I'd try an Eagle(x) or Teebird. If you want to go a little faster, PD, OLF, and Striker would also work.
I will look for one of these discs. At this point, I occasionally uncork a 350 foot drive with my valk, something I can't seem to do with my wraith. I'll look for an Eagle or Teebird, as Steve recommended the exact same thing.

Quote:
Now, as BH only you'll need some help for "FH holes." Run out and get an understable mid, ASAP. Fuse, Meteor, Squall, Comet, Buzzz SS, Mako, etc will all work and teach you clean form. The SW annys well but you might want a slower driver also. Something where you don't have the room to get the SW up to speed but you need a driver line. Leopard is the easy button here. Polaris, Cheetah, Xpress will also work. This disc will also help clean your form. Cleaner form = more distance and accuracy.
I think I'll pick up a Fuse. I love how they look, and I actually won a disc of my choice (along with a bag) through Volo Disc Sports' Black Friday raffle, so I'll pick one up. Would you recommend 180g for midrange?

And yeah, I've noticed that sometimes I just do a 2 step X step and bomb a 325+ footer, then the next hole I add more steps and throw it the same distance. My form is pretty variable at this point.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 87
Niced 164 Times in 107 Posts

I would stick with a mid that is less that than 180g. Something around the 171-176g should do well. A 180g will definately be more controlled, but you lose more distance, and if you are going to use it for annys and building form a lighter one will definately help with this more than something heavy.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

definitely drop the wraith and add an understable mid...eventually youll have to choose between the valk and the sidewinder. for the time being they are fine coexisting but within the next year im sure youll give one of the two a boot. i would hold off on another fairway until that TL beats in more, but once it does id grab a new champ teebird. FB would most definitely be too much disc for you, id look into a banshee for overstable duties (eventually, not necessary quite yet).