Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
OK cool... so to clarify, as long as I'm doing the forward pump and hop then I'm free wheeling ...

I guess I meant, specifically, in terms of copying/learning the rear arm... are all fine to try out ("not tight/free wheeling")?
Pretty much. When you hop it gets the rear foot/whole rear side out of the way of the backswing and is effortless glide/swivel of the hips/body into the backswing.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 62 Times in 47 Posts

Okay I've been having some more success with practice today.

Focusing on this has allowed some of my balance issues back in. I'm leaning back instead of staying upright, and I think that's what is giving me the slight nose up release on some of these.

HOWEVER.

It's looking/feeling a lot better today. Starting to feel more natural rather than in the way of my swing. How is the off arm mechanic looking here?

The drives never feel like they're substantially more powerful, but I was hitting 425-450 with less effort than my throw where my arm is left out of the way and less active. Plus it looks better in slow motion lol.

Sorry about the quality, my camera was in my car pretty far away. This is zoomed in.

Last edited by drk_evns; 10-26-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 62 Times in 47 Posts

Definitely seeing why I'm feeling less in control

-balance issues
-x-step too big
-hugging myself a bit

All things I've recently "solved" in my form, so I'm not too worried about ironing it out after some more practice with this.

But definitely improved from yesterday. This off arm movement is already starting to engrain in muscle memory, so I'm going to tighten everything back up once it's thoroughly engrained.

I will say, the distance is without a doubt better when I do this.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Yeah your long x-step isn't helping your balance/leverage, and you are turning back too early before your rear foot lands. Your rear arm isn't swimming, it's too late and going just going down and forward after you plant with the disc instead of countering away. The rear arm needs to be forward as you plant, then swim away.

Note at 9 sec how the rear hand is moving forward as he plants. Then at 10 sec the rear hand starts moving back away to counter the release of the arm swing.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 111 Times in 67 Posts

I tried incorporating the swim move today with mostly positive results. When I got the timing right, the disc was coming out significantly faster than with my regular throw. I was modeling the swim off of McBeth (no idea how what it actually looked like).

I've also messed around with emulating Linus's off hand move in the past. I also was able to see an immediate improvement in ejection speed with this technique, but I'm not sure I have the coordination to hit the timing consistently.

I think these results suggest that I'm a cronic strong-armer and using the swim gets more of my body involved. I'll definitely keep messing around with this (as time permits) and see where it leads me. I wasn't reaching/swinging/turning back anywhere near as far as I could have. I want to lock in the throw I was using today and then try to add more reach/swing/turn once I've got a bit more muscle memory with the basic movements. I've had short lived breakthroughs in the past because I didn't commit the time to doing a bunch of reps to make the timing stick.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:17 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 231 Times in 166 Posts

My results weren't as positive. Disc was coming out hot but I was over-rotating and aim was subsequently off. I was having a hard time actually swimming/pushing back/countering. Think I'll try Marc Jarvis hand actually on thigh to push against per SW post #20 if recall correctly.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Eveliina with the Finnish Swim Move: