Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 338 Times in 210 Posts
Default Pulling through too high...how to fix?

I'm working on my rounding issues. Every once in a while it seems to all come together and it feels correct, but most of the time I'm a mess.

It seems like I'm going low and out on the backswing in an attempt to not round. My pull through is awful. I'm bringing the disc back up to my left shoulder (RHBH) before I attempt to get it to my chest. I think it messes with the nose angle and makes the rounding worse.

Why am I doing this? How can I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 70 Times in 51 Posts

the best thing anyone ever told me was to pull it into your armpit, then backhand the midget.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 231 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
I'm working on my rounding issues. Every once in a while it seems to all come together and it feels correct, but most of the time I'm a mess.

It seems like I'm going low and out on the backswing in an attempt to not round. My pull through is awful. I'm bringing the disc back up to my left shoulder (RHBH) before I attempt to get it to my chest. I think it messes with the nose angle and makes the rounding worse.

Why am I doing this? How can I fix it?
I think if you let your arm and discs have their own weight in back swing and forward swing, it helps with all this. That is, let them swing freely and don't hold or place your arm or disc to this spot or that spot. Will fix it naturally.

But make sure you don't allow upper arm to collapse in below 90 in the back swing. Resist that as your arm is flowing back there and you won't hit your left shoulder then or on way forward and will make everything mo betta.

You can let lag bring (don't pull) disc to your chest, but I'm not even convinced that that matters. I'd focus energy elsewhere, like abandoning disc to own weight.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
I think if you let your arm and discs have their own weight in back swing and forward swing, it helps with all this. That is, let them swing freely and don't hold or place your arm or disc to this spot or that spot. Will fix it naturally.

But make sure you don't allow upper arm to collapse in below 90 in the back swing. Resist that as your arm is flowing back there and you won't hit your left shoulder then or on way forward and will make everything mo betta.

You can let lag bring (don't pull) disc to your chest, but I'm not even convinced that that matters. I'd focus energy elsewhere, like abandoning disc to own weight.
I think I'm probably collapsing my upper arm during the backswing. Is it easier to keep that 90 if the front plant foot moves out to the left more (stagger). I'm guessing years of bad habits make the arm collapsing issue worse in my case. I'll try slowing down even more but it feel so weird.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,744 Times in 1,172 Posts

I think deyo7 is bang on with this. At least this is the route I'm really focusing on now. I've had this happen ever since I've started fixing my throw. I think it's because I know where the disc is "supposed" to be at the power pocket and out to the hit, so I try to get it there. With my arm I guess.

But if your arm has its weight and is pulled in leverage by your torso and shoulder, then the arm will have to be pulled to the right place and it can't rise up because it won't have extra energy/input. Of course don't start it narrow and let it get pinned/rounded to your body though.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,854 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote:
I think I'm probably collapsing my upper arm during the backswing. Is it easier to keep that 90 if the front plant foot moves out to the left more (stagger). I'm guessing years of bad habits make the arm collapsing issue worse in my case. I'll try slowing down even more but it feel so weird.
Weird is good feeling.

I don't think it's possible to pull too high in One Leg Drill as long as you maintain balance.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 10-13-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Weird is good feeling.

I don't think it's possible to pull too high in One Leg Drill as long as you maintain balance.
It has to get even weirder. I'm so used to rounding that even attempting the opposite short circuits my head
Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

I think I'm still using way too much arm. I'm almost bringing the disc up to my neck. It's so awful.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,744 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
I think I'm still using way too much arm. I'm almost bringing the disc up to my neck. It's so awful.
Yep, hit my left shoulder and left chest so many times to the bounce out griplocks. And felt the disc skim my chin a few times...that is scary and strange.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 AM

Niced 25 Times in 6 Posts

I've got exactly the same problem which I'm going to work on this off-season (starting this week). I feel like the problem is also connected with rounding (massive one) and bad timing. With this form I can quite consistently reach 390' - 400' (measured) on the field, not more.

To me, it seems like I reach back too soon (and maybe too far?), and the pull then needs to be delayed to match the body rotation. Hopefully I will figure it out in the next weeks, but any help is appreciated!

I bet your form looks like this too: