Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Improve Your Game > Technique & Strategy

Old 10-17-2018, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 150 Times in 98 Posts

What's really interesting to me is that at the 15-16 second mark it sure looks like McBeth is using his left shoulder (and fist) to drive the swing. You can see it again at 50 seconds.

https://youtu.be/RkPwHUVInes?t=14
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2018, 11:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 38 Times in 18 Posts

Blake t once said for the reachback to work properly the shoulder needed to be hinged down. From a small amount of research I found a video that showed a lady using her lats and not using them while performing pull ups, and the major difference it said was her “shoulders were shrugged” when not using her lats during the pull up.

Am I on to this or sideways? This is the kind of stuff I can understand, a lot of the technique stuff is over my head.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,765 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrance View Post
What's really interesting to me is that at the 15-16 second mark it sure looks like McBeth is using his left shoulder (and fist) to drive the swing. You can see it again at 50 seconds.

https://youtu.be/RkPwHUVInes?t=14
I would more say to set up/position himself, then counter the hit.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Par Member

Niced 88 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWaggoner View Post
Blake t once said for the reachback to work properly the shoulder needed to be hinged down. From a small amount of research I found a video that showed a lady using her lats and not using them while performing pull ups, and the major difference it said was her “shoulders were shrugged” when not using her lats during the pull up.

Am I on to this or sideways? This is the kind of stuff I can understand, a lot of the technique stuff is over my head.
Yep pretty much the same thing, many use arm muscles to do pull ups. Shrugged shoulders. It seems to me that this applies to disc golf aswell.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:25 AM
Par Member

Niced 88 Times in 50 Posts

Some more visuals what I am doing and the caution part afterwards is how I imagine many are trying to swing.
https://youtu.be/OcFCHdQHjVU?t=279

Old 10-18-2018, 03:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
How to do it:
Sidewinders door frame drills actually stretch your lats nicely and when you let go of the door frame that´s essentially you swinging your arm with your lats.
You can place your left hand on to your side and feel the muscle activating as you slowly swing your arm around, when doing it wrong you are most likely feeling your shoulder poking your ear.
Toss a hammer.

Please discuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Me too. I played a short wooded course yesterday and found that I had to swing incredibly slow to keep from overthrowing the holes. Moving that slow, I finally started to feel some of the things described by Beto and Blake in the old DGR threads. I think the lat tightening up triggers the final tug of the disc in the full hit.
Dingle Arm in Slow Motion Drill always pulled taut/leveraged/engaged through whole body like swinging the whole Door Frame/house slowly:
Old 10-18-2018, 03:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Blake t once said for the reachback to work properly the shoulder needed to be hinged down.
You can think of either the arm hinging up into the shoulder or shoulder hinging down into arm slot, or actually both. My arm/disc is always going upward in pendulum to the top of the backswing and my CoG/shoulder is always dropping into the plant/arm slot/transition.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 22
Niced 267 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyC View Post
I didnt mean that this is the big secret to great disc toss. Kinetic chain is what we obviously want but if you want an effortless swing you better get em big muscles activated. This is just one part of the chain, something that will help out when doing em drills.
Fair enough... I guess I got stuck on singling out a muscle and it triggered a reaction in me and I just had to go back and re-read what you were really trying to say.

Quote:
This does tie it together for me. I have a really bad habit of shrugging my shoulder to initiate the pull through. Getting my shoulder relaxed and getting wide helps but I can really see now that firing the lats with a relaxed shoulder is a goal.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Par Member

Niced 20 Times in 11 Posts

So let me just make sure I have this right. The goal is to not pull with the shoulder joint, since the shoulder joint should be loose and flowing and flowing to a point of closed positioning at the beginning of arc. Instead of using the shoulder joint as pulller, use the lat muscle as a puller?

Old 10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Your butt/weight or momentum pulls everything through the lat.