Sophomore

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 63 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I
Anyone care to compare this with Tiger's "hip snap" technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd 81 View Post
If baseball hitters don't pivot on/from their back leg/foot when they are hitting, then what would you call it?
Pushing off. It's more clear in a throw.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2018, 12:32 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 474 Times in 402 Posts

The way I see it to make a whip of the throwing arm according to Bradley Walker and using body to get arm to do what it does. I do a mini hop with legs in the throw on full power drives like a few pro players do to keep from tripping when going faster with the run up. I do not do the leg motion but use the core more like the thrower clip in my throw as I have been doing more the Whip with the upper body on full on drives. Control drives I use the core just the same an do the whip but it is with an arm and elbow I add some tension to them to be a bit more stiff. With the more tight wooded holes I do a short fairway shot with the arms and do not use much core in the shot. I was told by Pro Ken Tank Franks in 2007 at the South Dakota State Disc golf Tournament he saw a male Pro who was a smaller or skinny dude using the arm as a whip Idea and then using my core came into play more.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:55 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 25
Niced 474 Times in 402 Posts

Only a change I make to my main throw is I stop after I hit the center line with the more control style or 15-20 degrees past that with my full out whip throw as I can not generate the snap necessary to rip the disc from the hand though with the second I come close. Also it hurts my throwing shoulder to do the full part after the release of the disc.

Legs I spin/pivot with front toes and do a push off to get the spin with the back doping more a push off after the set up with the X step during the power part. I have to do this being a smaller player with 110 pounds or 49 kilograms being a heavy day and 5 foot 2 inches or 157 centimeters I can't do the spin with the heel on front foot as my throw as this wastes energy.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,875 Times in 1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Anyone care to compare this with Tiger's "hip snap" technique?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Diaz
A specific move in Woods' golf swing wasn't doing him any good, either. Just past impact with longer clubs, Woods regularly snapped his left knee into hyperextension. Woods considered the move a key source of distance, and as a small-boned person of 6-feet-2--who still has a 29½-inch waist and weighs 178 pounds--it was an important one as he competed against bigger men like Singh, Els and Mickelson. In his book How I Play Golf, Woods writes that he would exaggerate the move "when I need an extra 20 yards."
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jai...uttiger_gd0501
Drew Gibson:
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

When I actively 'throw with the left side' and push my left shoulder through - I don't even really feel what my right arm is doing. At the same time, my distance doesn't suffer at all and my accuracy is better.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-02-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 88
Niced 577 Times in 311 Posts

I can definitely feel a big difference when I dont push my left shoulder through the swing. I can feel what Bradley means about the arm flailing or flapping.

Last edited by sidewinder22; 11-02-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 19
Niced 473 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Walker View Post
Who is "we"?

I think this might just be a waste of time...
Please come back to this thread with a video visually explaining everything. It's not a waste of time by any means. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 338 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
When I actively 'throw with the left side' and push my left shoulder through - I don't even really feel what my right arm is doing. At the same time, my distance doesn't suffer at all and my accuracy is better.
This interesting. Is there another way to phrase the left shoulder thing? Not sure I fully understand.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:33 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 58 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Pushing off. It's more clear in a throw.
I grew up playing baseball all the way up to high school. I had good success in hitting the ball with power while thinking about the traditional "squash the bug." It was never detrimental to my hitting. That's why I asked about the correlation between the back leg in baseball and the throw in disc golf.

Looking back at it, I think one of the reasons I was able to hit with power was because I had good brace. That I remember (been years ago) actively trying to make my back hip (the left side in disc golf) come around in a quick manner. I think this allowed me generate more power. I'm sure there were things that I was doing right and even doing wrong that I wasn't aware of.

Anyway, I can see now with comparing and contrasting baseball and disc golf that the back leg is more of the "pushing off" as you said rather than a pivot. I'm reminded in the old Dan Beto video that his back leg pushed off much like a skateboarder and their back leg on a skateboard. I think the confusion comes up with the pivot due to the fact that that both concepts are trying to achieve the same moment. The pushing off method is the more accurate one.

As well, pushing off with your back foot like a skateboarder/batter in baseball while throwing a disc seems to get the arm in the power pocket/ 10:30 zone easier. I think it also helps establish an easier linear to rotational throw.

I can see how an active back leg and shoulder (the left leg and shoulder for RHBH) would make the front half more passive or, at least, appear more passive in the disc golf throw.

Enough of my rambling. I need to go to bed.