Old 06-29-2022, 10:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 603
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 200 Times in 69 Posts

While we're on the subject, Tinderbox is a blast. Make time for it if you're in the area.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (4)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 124
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 337 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclc View Post
While we're on the subject, Tinderbox is a blast. Make time for it if you're in the area.
I'll co-sign that in return.

It's currently sitting at #2 in my review queue. Should be written up this weekend or next week sometime.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:28 AM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 338
Niced 98 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFrah View Post
I'll co-sign that in return.

It's currently sitting at #2 in my review queue. Should be written up this weekend or next week sometime.
100%, it was the first course my 7 year old played all 18

Old 07-01-2022, 08:49 PM
Par Member

As promised, here is an update on Mason County Park!

Beauty is back!!! Just to add a little context for those who don't know, it was hit by a major storm last summer sometime and has been unplayable since then. I visited the park for the first time last November and conquered (read: was conquered by) Beast and Goliath. I returned this afternoon. Beautiful summer day here, mid 70s and very little wind.

So this was my first time playing Beauty. The damage that was done by the storm was clearly pretty extensive. It affected most of the wooded area to the east of the park drive. It looks like they had to carve out paths for some heavy machinery to get into the area and help with the clearing. As of today, all of the baskets and tees are there and all of the fairways are cleared. There are still impressive piles of downed tree debris off to the side of several fairways. I think there was one tee sign missing and one other hole where the pad is basically buried in dirt. But overall the course is very playable.

There is also one hole that is redesigned. It's #8, which is the one labeled #7 on the map uploaded here (for those who haven't visited recently, they have new tee signs renumbering the holes 1-24 instead of 1-18 with a-f sprinkled in - this applies to all three courses on site). Based on the map, hole #8 used to play across the park drive and was located pretty much right where people would be parking for 9 months out of the year when the gate is locked. Now, the tee for that hole has been moved across the drive into the wooded area. The walk there from the previous hole is pretty long, but they planted a couple of Next Tee signs directing you across the road and onto a wooded trail, and I thought it was pretty obvious after that. The new hole plays 300' roughly south to north, down a wooded valley then slightly back up the other side. The basket is tucked in to the right behind some trees and also raised on a decorative pedestal. I really liked this new hole - it was one of the most memorable on the course for me.

All of the other holes were the same as far as I could tell (based on the map and comparing the tee signs to the distances listed here), although I would bet that between the storm damage and the machinery running through, some of them are not quite as tight as they used to be.

The Beast/Goliath side of the park is in great shape and was unaffected by all of this work on Beauty.

Last edited by DFrah; 07-01-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 938
Niced 4,228 Times in 2,194 Posts

As promised the report on hickory I'm on my phone so I’m goin to be brief and have punctuation. Hickory has white 18 and blue 18 available to play. Major jam up with 3-4 groups on one of the holes cuz no one knew where to go. This double layout that overlaps a lot, unfortunately doesn’t seem to work. Decent course tho.

Last edited by elmexdela; 07-02-2022 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:51 PM
Marketplace Guru

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 338
Niced 98 Times in 51 Posts

Just to add a little caveat here, the redesign was there before the storm

Nothing major, just wanted to throw that in there..

Quote:

Beauty is back!!! Just to add a little context for those who don't know, it was hit by a major storm last summer sometime and has been unplayable since then. I visited the park for the first time last November and conquered (read: was conquered by) Beast and Goliath. I returned this afternoon. Beautiful summer day here, mid 70s and very little wind.

So this was my first time playing Beauty. The damage that was done by the storm was clearly pretty extensive. It affected most of the wooded area to the east of the park drive. It looks like they had to carve out paths for some heavy machinery to get into the area and help with the clearing. As of today, all of the baskets and tees are there and all of the fairways are cleared. There are still impressive piles of downed tree debris off to the side of several fairways. I think there was one tee sign missing and one other hole where the pad is basically buried in dirt. But overall the course is very playable.

There is also one hole that is redesigned. It's #8, which is the one labeled #7 on the map uploaded here (for those who haven't visited recently, they have new tee signs renumbering the holes 1-24 instead of 1-18 with a-f sprinkled in - this applies to all three courses on site). Based on the map, hole #8 used to play across the park drive and was located pretty much right where people would be parking for 9 months out of the year when the gate is locked. Now, the tee for that hole has been moved across the drive into the wooded area. The walk there from the previous hole is pretty long, but they planted a couple of Next Tee signs directing you across the road and onto a wooded trail, and I thought it was pretty obvious after that. The new hole plays 300' roughly south to north, down a wooded valley then slightly back up the other side. The basket is tucked in to the right behind some trees and also raised on a decorative pedestal. I really liked this new hole - it was one of the most memorable on the course for me.

All of the other holes were the same as far as I could tell (based on the map and comparing the tee signs to the distances listed here), although I would bet that between the storm damage and the machinery running through, some of them are not quite as tight as they used to be.

The Beast/Goliath side of the park is in great shape and was unaffected by all of this work on Beauty.

Niced: (3)
Old 07-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 156
Niced 1,599 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I need to get my son up there for his first visit (I'd played it as far back as '98 on the "raskets" they had there but haven't been back in maybe 20 years). He'll be most likely playing in Am-2 at the states as a 13-year-old.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 278
Niced 8,819 Times in 3,018 Posts

I know we will shortly get to see Toboggan in it's full glory, but I thought I would give my impression. Got out and played (brutalized) on Friday morning. The changes are real. They have pushed back a couple pins since USADGC and it looks like they have one to go. The tee pads are top tier. We played shorts and this course simply does not provide for any break. It is relentless in it's beating. For player not rated near 1000, it is simply out of our league. Fun, but built (redesigned) for a different skill set. The new fairways are going to need a year or two to grow some nice grass, but all of them were well thought out. Since the Russian Olive removal a handful of years ago, most of the rough on this course is not punishing. You can make mistakes and still be in the hunt for par (if you are 1000 rated). The park has tapped into water on the pavilion side of the parking lot, for watering an area that seems to be for a tent or tournament set up. I really hope they make this a drinking fountain or source of potable water. This course could use it. Terrific morning....my rating is four Motrin.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:22 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdrvya View Post
Just to add a little caveat here, the redesign was there before the storm

Nothing major, just wanted to throw that in there..
Thank you! Had no idea.

Old 07-02-2022, 10:24 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
As promised the report on hickory I'm on my phone so I’m goin to be brief and have punctuation. Hickory has white 18 and blue 18 available to play. Major jam up with 3-4 groups on one of the holes cuz no one knew where to go. This double layout that overlaps a lot, unfortunately doesn’t seem to work. Decent course tho.
Thanks for update! Sounds wild. Still not sure why they just didn't keep the old 24. :P

Niced: (1)