Old 06-15-2018, 04:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 622 Times in 455 Posts

Stratus you say? I myself opted for the Archer. Personally, even though I know I answered Comet to the question. I throw only a prophecy in all four of my mid slots.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2018, 05:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 18
Niced 407 Times in 313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Alias is a great disc, but it isn't a competitor for this slot. I carried both it and the Comet for a couple years, as they cover totally different lines. That, and the Alias, being a glorified putter, is much shorter.

For a single disc woods round, that is where the Alias truly shines. It putts better than a true mid.

The Atom now has my Alias spot but the Comet still lives on in my bag.

The Relay is awesome, I have one in my bag, but it lacks the slow speed glide that the Comet has. I use the Relay for low, high speed woods lines where I might have some torque on the disc. The Comet hates torque.
Good !

nice - you have good taste
Old 06-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 45 Times in 29 Posts

My Mako3 must be broken. I would never use it for a tunnel shot. The thing is laser straight for about 150 then starts fading (I really wouldnt call it a turn) left it will move 20+ feet left over the last 60-75ft of flight. You know, just enough to slam into a tree on the left side of a tunnel or worse miss the tree and jam you behind something.

BTW 180g Star Mako3
Old 06-15-2018, 06:14 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,247 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtho View Post
My Mako3 must be broken. I would never use it for a tunnel shot. The thing is laser straight for about 150 then starts fading (I really wouldnt call it a turn) left it will move 20+ feet left over the last 60-75ft of flight. You know, just enough to slam into a tree on the left side of a tunnel or worse miss the tree and jam you behind something.

BTW 180g Star Mako3
I have a Star Mako3, 175g, that was one of the first discs I ever bought, and the disc I began developing a forehand throw with. It was a lot like your Mako3 you describe, relatively overstable.

I subsequently got Champion Mako3s and another Star Mako3 that were more true to what Mako3s should do (i.e. fly less overstable). Keep pounding it into those trees until it learns manners, while seeking a slightly lighter weight Mako3 (maybe in Champion).
Old 06-16-2018, 06:14 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I have a Star Mako3, 175g, that was one of the first discs I ever bought, and the disc I began developing a forehand throw with. It was a lot like your Mako3 you describe, relatively overstable.

I subsequently got Champion Mako3s and another Star Mako3 that were more true to what Mako3s should do (i.e. fly less overstable). Keep pounding it into those trees until it learns manners, while seeking a slightly lighter weight Mako3 (maybe in Champion).
This was the very first disc I ever bought. I have been slamming it into trees for almost a year now and its still overstable.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:23 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 161
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,756 Times in 843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Alias is a great disc, but it isn't a competitor for this slot. I carried both it and the Comet for a couple years, as they cover totally different lines. That, and the Alias, being a glorified putter, is much shorter.

For a single disc woods round, that is where the Alias truly shines. It putts better than a true mid.

The Atom now has my Alias spot but the Comet still lives on in my bag.

The Relay is awesome, I have one in my bag, but it lacks the slow speed glide that the Comet has. I use the Relay for low, high speed woods lines where I might have some torque on the disc. The Comet hates torque.
Exactly my sentiment on the Alias. It's a great woods, placement disc. See a line, hit the gap, and sticks where it lands. It's a lot like the Tangent, just a couple of putters trapped in a mid's body. Definitely lacks the speed and glide of the Mako3 and Comet but way more predictable.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 PM
I Don't Actually Disc Golf

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,247 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtho View Post
This was the very first disc I ever bought. I have been slamming it into trees for almost a year now and its still overstable.
Have you tried other Mako3s? I'd suggest trying a lighter-than-180g Mako3, maybe a Champion Mako3, and see if it's less stable for you. If so, then your disc is relatively unique, and you need only use it for the flight paths it takes. If other Mako3s fly the same way for you, it may be form issues.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:41 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Have you tried other Mako3s? I'd suggest trying a lighter-than-180g Mako3, maybe a Champion Mako3, and see if it's less stable for you. If so, then your disc is relatively unique, and you need only use it for the flight paths it takes. If other Mako3s fly the same way for you, it may be form issues.

I have a Prodigy M3 that took over tunnel duty and a M5 that has a more predictable fade for approach shots. My poor Mako3 has been relegated to being my disc I bulldozer through trees or skip to the basket on hard ground. It gets abused and still looks newer than any of the discs I bought back in march. Don't get me wrong I spent months slamming it into trees I just don't use it much now.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.6
Courses Played: 233
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 900 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippenripp View Post
Stratus you say? I myself opted for the Archer. Personally, even though I know I answered Comet to the question. I throw only a prophecy in all four of my mid slots.
Never really clicked with the Archer. Status is mostly a utility/recovery disc. For longer shots, I use my Core, with its glide, I imagine it provides for what the Archer does.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 622 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Never really clicked with the Archer. Status is mostly a utility/recovery disc. For longer shots, I use my Core, with its glide, I imagine it provides for what the Archer does.
Not familiar with the core. I only use my archer as a recovery/scramble disc as well now I can throw it with very little movement of my body when I am cramped or kust need a touch shot and the glide will carry it to the intended target

Niced: (1)