Old 08-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Above ground course

Looking for ideas on building a course without digging any holes in the ground.

The current idea is to make concrete pyramids that we can put the baskets in. They would weigh about 500 lbs each and be easily movable with a bobcat/forklift.

Any other ideas on basket placement? What about above ground teepads? No stakes in the ground. Anything durable enough to be moved a couple times a year with heavy equipment can be considered.

Thank you in advance for any ideas
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,756 Times in 1,559 Posts

Pye Brook Park in Topsfield MA is built on top of an old landfill, so digging wasn't allowed for any reason. They have huge concrete bases that they put the baskets in that sit on top of the ground. They have rebar loops on top for hooking a chain to for easy movement with a bobcat or tractor.

Their tees are mostly 4X4 and 2X4 wood frames set on top of the grass, then filled in and covered with rubber mats. Not very portable as a unit, but not all that difficult to break down and re-build if necessary.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 1341
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 662 Times in 249 Posts

Some info here about building tee pads that can be moved. Note that because of a change in executive directorship, I never went through with this plan, so I don't have any input on how well it works.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=122495
Old 08-19-2017, 11:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you for the replies. Those baskets with the concrete base are very similar to what we had in mind.

Are those teepad naturally heavy enough to be stable? We can't dig to level the ground to put them on...but we could add gravel and build up a spot that is level. The ground in that photo looks pretty level naturally but we won't always have that luxury.

The proposal is at a state park in an area that is tagged as a "historic area" so there are restrictions on digging.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,853 Times in 1,744 Posts

For tees we cut the old concrete slab from a pavilion, can fill around the edges with mulch or gravel. Pavers would also be a decent option.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/cours...d=5593&mode=ci

Niced: (2)
Old 08-20-2017, 08:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,478 Times in 1,516 Posts

Above-ground teepads only if you put considerable fill for a couple of feet in front of them.

Please.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 63
Niced 13 Times in 4 Posts

cement baskets into 5 gallon buckets

Niced: (1)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Par Member

Niced 9 Times in 4 Posts

Just an update...I know it's been awhile but we are a state park and designing a course in a historic area so there has been a lot of red tape and approvals required.

We have funding for the first 9 holes and hope to grow from there. We have designs for above ground concrete "pyramids" that will hold baskets and be movable with a bobcat.
Still unsure about a final teepad design. They have to be above ground as no digging is allowed in the historic area and we would prefer them to also be movable with the bobcat.

We have a temporary course layed out and will be hosting a "Family Fun Disc Golf Day" in early june (with portable baskets) to raise awareness in the community. Prizes will be given out and loaner discs will be available for first timers.

It's been a slow process but I'm looking forward to the future. We have a lot of land that is already maintained and there is speculation that we could have 27 or 36 holes if everything pans out. I'm not holding my breath on that. I'm taking it one step at a time, but the potential is there.

Last edited by mopar; 05-11-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,337 Times in 2,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Just an update...I know it's been awhile but we are a state park and designing a course in a historic area so there has been a lot of red tape and approvals required.

We have funding for the first 9 holes and hope to grow from there. We have designs for above ground concrete "pyramids" that will hold baskets and be movable with a bobcat.
Still unsure about a final teepad design. They have to be above ground as no digging is allowed in the historic area and we would prefer them to also be movable with the bobcat.

We have a temporary course layed out and will be hosting a "Family Fun Disc Golf Day" in early june (with portable baskets) to raise awareness in the community. Prizes will be given out and loaner discs will be available for first timers.

It's been a slow process but I'm looking forward to the future. We have a lot of land that is already maintained and there is speculation that we could have 27 or 36 holes if everything pans out. I'm not holding my breath on that. I'm taking it one step at a time, but the potential is there.
Have you thought about just using artificial turf, rubber or plastic mats for the teepads? Being a state agency, I would think getting ahold of some used turf from the public schools and/or universities wouldn't be terribly difficult. All you really need to do for prep work is lay down some sand or fine gravel on top of the ground to help with drainage.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 05-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,337 Times in 2,293 Posts

Unless they are only gonna be in place for a day or two at a time, pretty much any way you do a temporary teepad is gonna leave a bald spot in the grass. At least with the sand it wouldn't be just a muddy spot when you need to remove the pads. Plus you wouldn't need to worry as much about having completely flat ground like you would with the concrete. You could use the sand/gravel to level them out and then roll on the turf.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 05-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.