Old 11-29-2019, 04:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 555 Times in 238 Posts

Someone mentioned it before, but get a DX FB and beat it in - a lot (throw it at trees, walls, pavement, etc).
Trust me, the DX FB is a fun and under-rated disc.
You'll love the reliable fade.
It's great for a weak-armed flex disc and you'll be surprised at the distance you can get once it's beat in properly.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2019, 01:15 AM
Par Member

Niced 46 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
This How to Build a Bag thread is one of DGCR's all time bests and a must read for any aspiring disc golfer.

Here's a snippet which may be helpful:

I've always found it interesting that garublador included the OS driver mold in his original four discs. If you read the rest of his post, that's even before discs like a Teebird and some other drivers. Yes, a Firebird (I'm mainly thinking a standard Champion or other premium plastic as opposed to a FAF) will be quite beefy, but it will be useful in many situations. I'm thinking headwinds (over an OS mid or putter because the extra speed helps here) and skip shots. Other things I'd think an OS mid/putter option may not be bad. Even for overhands, I used to use a Drone a lot and found it a good option.

As above, I do think you'll find some benefit and may even learn some new shots. I particularly remember the glee of learning Firebird skips, both forehand and backhand and low thumber/tommy skips. I don't think any mid will do that. For headwinds they can be useful too. And who can doubt garublador in that classic thread?

That said, you're using a used DX Firebird, which won't have the same overstability or skip potential as a Champ/Star/etc. But next time you get the "new disc itch," I'd think a Firebird (or Pred, Banshee, etc.) is worth a shot.
Thanks for this reminder back to garublador’s thread, I had a little bit of time to kill on my way home today and instead of throwing mindlessly in a field for 30 minutes, I decided to give the 4 disc bag a shot for 9 holes.
I had to make due with what I had in the car but got reasonably close to Garubladors suggestion
Sexton Firefly
DX Roc3
Pro Leopard
DX Firebird (beat)
Results were a pleasant surprise, shot well within my normal score variance on the course. Interesting enough that this needs further exploring. Definitely found some uses for the firebird that I didn’t expect
Old 12-03-2019, 03:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,212 Times in 474 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by muptonfish View Post
Thanks for this reminder back to garublador’s thread, I had a little bit of time to kill on my way home today and instead of throwing mindlessly in a field for 30 minutes, I decided to give the 4 disc bag a shot for 9 holes.
I had to make due with what I had in the car but got reasonably close to Garubladors suggestion
Sexton Firefly
DX Roc3
Pro Leopard
DX Firebird (beat)
Results were a pleasant surprise, shot well within my normal score variance on the course. Interesting enough that this needs further exploring. Definitely found some uses for the firebird that I didn’t expect
I preach a beat in DX Firebird all the time. It's a great disc to have in the bag.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 2
Niced 470 Times in 337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Someone mentioned it before, but get a DX FB and beat it in - a lot (throw it at trees, walls, pavement, etc).
Trust me, the DX FB is a fun and under-rated disc.
You'll love the reliable fade.
It's great for a weak-armed flex disc and you'll be surprised at the distance you can get once it's beat in properly.
I threw the FB for a long while, but only in Champ for the first 3 years I threw FBs. I got a Star along with some other discs and found it was a better feel with very similar flights. I always thought making the FB in DX was useless, until I found one at PIAS for cheap. Easiest 400' shot I've ever thrown on level ground. Relaesed it on a deep hyzer to flip up to flat. It even got a small amount of turn on it.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 86
Niced 337 Times in 182 Posts

It's weird to me that some people don't see the value in a Firebird or Firebird-like disc. It's the most predictable disc you'll ever throw. You know exactly where it's going to go!

Basically no danger in flipping it over, or leaving it out too wide. It will handle all the horrible OAT your forehand can dish out. It handles essentially any headwind. Flies super predictable lines on overhand shots. Carves big S-lines in the trees when you flex it over. Goes straight on forehand rollers. Thrown low with hyzer, it will give a big skip (if that's what you need). As it beats in, it just gets longer but still has the same strong finish.

My first Firebird was an 11x, back when I was just starting out and throwing probably 280-300' max. One of my first aces was a forehand on a hard right dogleg, maybe 250'. Perfect disc for the shot.

Now I've bagged the same L-mold CE Firebird for probably 12-13 years and it's still one of my go-to discs. I like to pair it with a relatively fresh Champ Firebird to have the crazy overstable option too. But there are lots of options out there now. I have been gradually stocking up on the first run Z Raptors because they are basically drop-in replacements for my old CE Firebird.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I threw the FB for a long while, but only in Champ for the first 3 years I threw FBs. I got a Star along with some other discs and found it was a better feel with very similar flights. I always thought making the FB in DX was useless, until I found one at PIAS for cheap. Easiest 400' shot I've ever thrown on level ground. Relaesed it on a deep hyzer to flip up to flat. It even got a small amount of turn on it.
Ahh someone who has experience with a Star Firebird, I consistently read about people throwing Champ FBs but haven’t run across someone throwing a Star. I prefer the grip/feel of Star vs Champ and was hoping the flight of Star was similar.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 293
Niced 210 Times in 89 Posts

Just throw DX
Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Just throw DX
I love DX plastic! While many don’t think highly of it for durability reasons, I throw mainly DX and haven’t had any issues. I hit many trees and the flight may change but never has it rendered a disc unusable.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 543 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by muptonfish View Post
Ahh someone who has experience with a Star Firebird, I consistently read about people throwing Champ FBs but haven’t run across someone throwing a Star. I prefer the grip/feel of Star vs Champ and was hoping the flight of Star was similar.
I picked up a beautiful fluorescent orange Star FB. Haven’t had much chance to throw it yet but when I have it doesn’t seem quite as OS as I hoped on a forehand.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 543 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
I think threeputt also preaches the virtues of the beat DX FB.