Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

...unless it's an ace run. with the exception of 2 skip-in aces, I was actually going for chains on the rest of mine. yes a couple were <200ft, but I would argue that there is way more luck involved in a long ace than a shorter one.

Aces are fun, and I seem to recall someone from back in the day saying something about having fun...?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by namar; 04-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 76 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgman View Post
Like my friend told me the other day, an Ace is an easy par gone wrong.
I like this. just bagged my second true ace ever today and wasn't nearly as geeked out as the first. they were both #8's, both discs named for cats. par gone wrong......
Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 51 Times in 33 Posts

Hey when you are in your mid 50s and you only have time to play once a week on average you'll take any kind of ace you can get. Just sayin'.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 23
Niced 51 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Anovin View Post
Ha! Your logic is flawed and you have much to learn. A tournament recently, I encountered a nasty dogleg left. The hole measured 170 feet according to the teesign. But it played more like 100 feet straight out, then maybe 60 feet left at almost a 90 degree angle. And this was a very wooded hole with trees lining BOTH parts of the fairway. I had the back of the box on this particular hole. Everyone before me threw Wasps or Gators or some other OS mid because they saw the distance and of course thought it was a "mid range" hole. Well after seeing their drives, I knew they were all short. So what did I do? Grabbed my Giant, gave it just enough to get around the dog leg and parked it. Moral of the story? Everytime you throw a driver, it doesn't have to be with 100% power. Learn some finesse with higher speed stuff as well. Know your discs and what they can do. If I would have aced a 170 ft hole with a Giant and it was the RIGHT disc for the shot, then guess what? I would have still got an ace.
Absolutely. If you are only using your high speed drivers for long holes you are short changing yourself. If I'm playing a short hole with a sharp dogleg I often reach for a high
speed fairway driver and lob it out there with just enough power to reach the apex of the turn before it starts to fade and burn.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 177 Times in 135 Posts

I have few enough that I'll mention my "cubby" ace on a 175' hole. It was way prettier than my only real ace, which was a tomahawk on a way easier 220' hole.

If you ask how many aces I have, I'll still say one though.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 34
Niced 158 Times in 102 Posts

So what we're saying is a hole-in-one is different than an ace.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 PM

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 36
Niced 10 Times in 7 Posts

Aces are always awesome in my book. I have 5 and remember every one and what disc I threw. Was just as jacked for the first one as I was for the fifth. I don't think there is much luck involved either for the most part. Unless you get some crazy tree bounce or something like that. I don't find it a coincidence that generally the best players I talk to have a bunch of them, some too many to remember. If your really good you generally have a lot more than someone who just goes out there to chuck, because you have either done it before, know the line, and also know how to make that throw. If they want to claim a "short ace" or a "cubby ace" more power to them, ain't going to bother me none. Ace on my brothers and sisters!!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 177 Times in 135 Posts

At least we're saying that not all aces are created equal... but good point.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 127 Times in 66 Posts

If an ace brings you happiness, then good for you. I have no idea how many I have and don't acknowledge the discs, baskets or tee signs. People are different. Do your thing.

All this concern over what others do is dumb.

Niced: (2)

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.5
Courses Played: 140
Niced 127 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknic007 View Post
Question: If you are playing weekly doubles and there is an odd number of people, someone plays by themselves and throws 2 shots. If the second shot goes in after seeing how the first one flew, is that an ACE or a CUBBY? IMO, it should count as an ace since both drives are playable. Thoughts?
This happened to me. I was cali at weekly dubs and hit an ace on my 2nd throw from the tee. Won me $172. I count that one. Another time I was playing a solo scoring round, threw a drive, then threw a 2nd shot off the tee with a brand new Sidewinder I wanted to try out. It went in. I call that a cubby ace and don't count it if someone asks me how many aces I have.