Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 286
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,634 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post
Lots of parks departments add disc golf courses to parks because they are viewed as appropriate for and good use of shared-use space. This we have to live with.

But, that said, I'm not going to have an "educational" conversation with any non-disc golf user on the course save perhaps the soccer mom described previously. Those picnickers I came across in the fairway at Patapsco 1. What was I going to say to them of useful consequence? The guy in Syracuse who liked to use Heritage 7 as a open space to play catch with his dogs. What said to him?

I don't think my success rate in those conversations is going to be over 5%. So why bother?
Point taken. This is why I feel so strongly about signage indicating there's a DG course and to watch for flying discs. It legitimizes us when initiating such conversations. I'm not saying they can't share these areas... simply that they should be made aware of what else they've been designated for. People don't set up picnic blankets on a ball field, because they recognize it... but they just don't recognize when they're on a DG course.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-02-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,050 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Lots of parks departments add disc golf courses to parks because they are viewed as appropriate for and good use of shared-use space. This we have to live with.

But, that said, I'm not going to have an "educational" conversation with any non-disc golf user on the course save perhaps the soccer mom described previously. Those picnickers I came across in the fairway at Patapsco 1. What was I going to say to them of useful consequence? The guy in Syracuse who liked to use Heritage 7 as a open space to play catch with his dogs. What said to him?

I don't think my success rate in those conversations is going to be over 5%. So why bother?
Why bother? Because the next player coming up behind you might not be courteous enough to play away from/around them, and instead throw at/over them with no regard for their safety. The next player might be the ******* who hits them, or rudely yells at them, or otherwise does something that motivates the picnickers to go to the authorities with complaints. Enough complaints and next thing you know, the course gets yanked.

At least if you are nice enough to let them know the hole/course exists (because they're not going to know if no one tells them) and how their picnic impacts it (and vice versa), they're informed enough to decide to stay or find another spot where they might not be in any danger. And maybe it's enough that they avoid the unfortunate encounter with the ******* player that might be coming up behind you.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:56 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 630 Times in 443 Posts

Be nice and let them know what's going on. Some people have no idea it's a game going on and they are happy to know that plastic circles could be flying at them.

If you know that they are around, try hard not to hit/scare any of them. Nothing will get a course pulled quicker than pedestrians being hit with a high speed driver.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:14 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 55
Niced 41 Times in 27 Posts

There is a local course that is a giant multi-use park and the disc golf course is mostly in the woods but does come close to a couple of the ball fields. I've seen people walking, running, pushing strollers, walking dogs etc. a lot recently. It's annoying, because before the course was there, it was unused dense woods with no trails in it or anything. A lot of hard work and time went in to making it cleared out enough for some disc golf paths and holes. So seeing oblivious people jogging on it makes me a little upset, because, you can freaking jog ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET lol, I can only disc golf on disc golf courses.

I'm a shy quiet guy and usually don't say anything. Sometimes, if they are right in the way and don't look like they are moving any time soon, I'll just say "This is a disc golf course and I need to throw right where you are standing" I've never had anyone not move.

How do you just nonchalantly walk onto a course and pay no attention to the strange looking yellow baskets in the woods, or the tee signs and pads, or the people throwing things? I mean, how dumb can you be? I don't expect someone to just magically know exactly what is going on, but use some observation skills, and maybe use google on the phone your face is always buried in and figure it out in about 5 seconds.

Pet peeve, if you can't figure it out, is oblivious people.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 312
Niced 316 Times in 152 Posts

Unfortunately, many of the non-disc golfers enjoying a park with a disc golf course have no idea that there is a course there, and clearly have no idea that we're throwing beveled edge projectiles, sometimes at 50 to 80 miles per hour. They might see a flying disc and think "Oh, they're throwing Frisbees". You know, the 119 gram, huge, flexible kind that rarely even sting if they do hit you unawares.

There are some who literally have no clue about the purpose of that post and chain assembly we're throwing at. I once met a lady who was walking by on the path 80 feet from our basket, who saw us putting out, and said "So THAT's what those are for!" There is absolutely no chance she would recognize a fairway as a place we throw through.

Whenever possibly, I politely inform and suggest. Particularly, I try really hard to imagine how I'd want to be treated if I were blissfully unaware, and focus on the fact that I'm thinking of their safety, not my enjoyment of the sport. It seems to help.

ps: if they become obstinate or rude, that's on them, but I'll still just pass on by and skip the hole. I'm not going to let folks like that ruin my day.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by sisyphus; 09-02-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 118
Niced 224 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:

Like JC said, they might not move immediately, but at least they'll be aware. I try to say something like, "Hey, just to let you know, I'm playing some frisbee golf through here. I'm aiming over there, and these things are kinda hard [knock, knock]. There's a lot of people on the course today, and some of them might have pretty bad aim or might not see you before they throw."

Niced: (1)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfMaster View Post
How do you just nonchalantly walk onto a course and pay no attention to the strange looking yellow baskets in the woods, or the tee signs and pads, or the people throwing things? I mean, how dumb can you be? I don't expect someone to just magically know exactly what is going on, but use some observation skills, and maybe use google on the phone your face is always buried in and figure it out in about 5 seconds.

Pet peeve, if you can't figure it out, is oblivious people.
It isn't a matter of dumb, though. Ignorance does not equate to stupidity.

As golfers, our eyes automatically see the fairways and find the baskets. If we stumble unsuspectingly on a basket, we can take one look around and almost instinctively figure out pretty quick what direction the tee. If we're driving down the street, we notice the practice basket in the random backyard or a basket at a park we didn't realize had a course. Stuff like that jumps out at us but a non-golfer would never notice.

Just as an example, there was a course on campus where I went to college. Before I ever played the game, I must have walked through the course a bunch of times and never even noticed anything. This was before cell phones so I had my head up and was looking around (particularly early on looking for landmarks so I could remember my way). Once I learned about the game and the course, I couldn't understand how I never saw the baskets. There were at least two within 10-15 feet of a sidewalk I know I used frequently.

It's one of those things that you could go your whole life not noticing, but once you're aware, you can't unsee it. Like the arrow in the FedEx logo.

Old 09-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 240
Niced 125 Times in 59 Posts

I played a course yesterday that had benches placed within 20' of baskets on a couple of holes. These were nice shady spots along a walking path so were good places for a bench, but were also prime basket locations.

This was a multi-use park with walking paths, etc., and it did have the "Flying Discs" signs up. But having benches in close proximity to baskets has got to be confusing to park users...
Old 09-02-2017, 03:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcc View Post
I played a course yesterday that had benches placed within 20' of baskets on a couple of holes. These were nice shady spots along a walking path so were good places for a bench, but were also prime basket locations.

This was a multi-use park with walking paths, etc., and it did have the "Flying Discs" signs up. But having benches in close proximity to baskets has got to be confusing to park users...
Stuff like that makes you wonder which came first, the bench or the basket? If the basket was there first, it's probably down to the decision maker in the parks department being ignorant of the course and how it's played. If it was the bench that was there first, it's down to a poor course designer. No amount of warning signs can fix bad course design.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 286
Niced 1,634 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
If it was the bench that was there first, it's down to a poor course designer. No amount of warning signs can fix bad course design.
I couldn't agree more.