Old 08-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default DGCR Rated Rounds

Ive been using the DGCR app to record my rounds that I play. Ive noticed it gives you a rating for each round. They always seem to be about 30-40 points higher than a pdga rating. It has me rated as a 950 player, when Im only about 915. Are these rating suppose to be similar to the PDGA system? If so, Why are they they always higher than they should be?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1,665 Times in 960 Posts

I think the propagator factor and weather are probly the biggest reasons. The pdga ratings vary quite a bit depending on weather/time of year/wind. Your experience is probably more the norm than not. Mine is 900 and PDGA is 875. It was for awhile a bigger gap like yours.

Last edited by brutalbrutus; 08-29-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 52
Niced 1,665 Times in 960 Posts

Plus, I'm guessing, you have rounds on your dgcr rating that aren't played under tourney pressure, and are on your home course. Which usually leads to better scores, imo.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 23
Niced 53 Times in 43 Posts

I am not a PDGA member yet. Waiting till Oct 1st.I'm rated 870 on here...interesting topic but makes a lot of sense that the ratings are a bit padded on DGCR due to lack of daily weather conditions, tournament pressure, and other day of variables.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 84
Niced 333 Times in 205 Posts

It has to do with the fact that they establish a DGCR SSA (scratch scoring average) for each course, when SSA is established when round ratings are official, and are only valid for those rounds (I think) It's not a continuous thing. DGCR is trying to give you a rating based on others that have played/entered scores, possibly on different days and course layouts. It's approximate, and it's fun - but it's not a replacement for a real rating or tournament pressure that might cause you to lose a few strokes
Old 08-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atvizory2000 View Post
Ive been using the DGCR app to record my rounds that I play. Ive noticed it gives you a rating for each round. They always seem to be about 30-40 points higher than a pdga rating. It has me rated as a 950 player, when Im only about 915. Are these rating suppose to be similar to the PDGA system? If so, Why are they they always higher than they should be?
There are typically two factors with regard to DGCR rating (estimate) vs PDGA rating. The first is if the course(s) you're playing on have correct/accurate rating estimates. In the DGCR rating system, the two variables used are total course length and foliage value (i.e. lightly wooded, moderately wooded, heavily wooded). Even if the course length is correct for the exact layout you played, the reality is that the actual difficulty of the course may not line up nicely with the foliage value estimates (e.g. I've found many courses in this area are labeled as 'moderately wooded' but actually play closer to 'lightly wooded'. If you do notice that the ratings for a particular course seem off, you can notify Timg, and there is a way internally to fix the rating estimate for that course.

The other factor that definitely has an impact is stress: most players actually play better when practicing on a course than they do on that same course in a more stressful tournament setting. The impact can vary quite a bit, but from anecdotal evidence and looking at some profiles, I would hazard the effect can be around 20 rating points (~2 throws per round).
Old 08-29-2017, 04:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Oh, if it helps any, a good indicator of a possible course rating estimate problem is if you're seeing rounds rated over 30 points above your own rating. According to the PDGA, players typically throw within +/-30 rating points of their own rating ~90% of the time.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 268
Niced 1,273 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
There are typically two factors with regard to DGCR rating (estimate) vs PDGA rating. The first is if the course(s) you're playing on have correct/accurate rating estimates. In the DGCR rating system, the two variables used are total course length and foliage value (i.e. lightly wooded, moderately wooded, heavily wooded). Even if the course length is correct for the exact layout you played, the reality is that the actual difficulty of the course may not line up nicely with the foliage value estimates (e.g. I've found many courses in this area are labeled as 'moderately wooded' but actually play closer to 'lightly wooded'. If you do notice that the ratings for a particular course seem off, you can notify Timg, and there is a way internally to fix the rating estimate for that course.
I guarantee Firefighters Park is a wooded course that plays closer to "lightly" wooded.

Even when they have enough trees to be considered moderately wooded, "park style" courses (i.e. plenty of trees, but very little bush/brush) nearly always play easier than what I call "state park" type courses (i.e. fairways lined with moderately thick bushes/brush) of similar distance.

The difference being how hard it is to recover from a bad tee shot or upshot that lands in/under a bush.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 312
Niced 248 Times in 123 Posts

A few observations from a true dgcr stat addict...
My DGCR rating is currently 45-50 points above my PDGA rating.
I tend to make 2, 3, 4 or more stupid shots under pressure that I never seem to make when playing casually.
The courses I play casually are 80% or more played for fun, tend to be shorter, and require less "game" than the layouts and courses I have to play in sanctioned tourney rounds.
And I'm pretty sure most courses aren't measured terribly accurately, either for distance, foliage or elevation.
Final thought: if you plan to compete in PDGA sanctioned events, the best predictor of your play is definitely gonna be... drum roll... your PDGA rating, so get out & enjoy tourneys, play enough to become a propagator, and you'll learn what to expect in like situations!

Old 08-30-2017, 06:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 426
Niced 46 Times in 25 Posts

Mine is way above my PDGA rating also. Less missed putts in casual rounds. Although my PDGA league rounds have been highly rated when I played decent. Part of that is I tend to beat the pants off the few propagators with a rating over 900.

I also forget about my bad rounds so quickly, I fail to enter them into dgcr sometimes.

Niced: (1)