Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question How to fill out scorecard

I got out to a new course this weekend. I even got the wife to come out for her first disc golf experience! Now I have more questions.

This is the first time I have kept a detailed score and I am using the DGCR iOS app. Initially, I enter the number of non-putt throws under Score, and putts and penalties in their respective boxes. I expected the app to total them up but when I got to the end, it only showed what I entered for the Score. I went back and totaled up the scores in the Score and then submitted to my DGCR account. Did I do that right?

So, what defines a Putt anyway? While I was keeping my score, I counted it as anything I used a putter for. After the game, I looked up score keeping and saw a post somewhere that defined at as a throw within 30 feet of the basket. I'm sure my definition isn't right, but I didn't see anything that looked "official" anywhere.

In case you're interested, my wife had a pretty good time. She was embarrassed with her performance despite noticeable improvement over the duration of the course. She did say that she would play nine holes anytime I wanted though so I will count this as a positive. We have a big yard with some trees to aim at so we can get some practice in on a regular basis.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2017, 01:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 12
Niced 43 Times in 22 Posts

I use a card, a stubby pencil and can remember how to count to 6. Pretty much covers it.

Well, except for abbreviations for discs thrown on each hole, arrows for current wind direction, exclamation points,
question marks, double question marks, squiggly line sketch indicating actual disc flight path, little doodles of Wisconsin student mobs in fairways, birds, trees, hazards, wild flowers and invisible branches. Also, I have a secret code mark that indicates mulligan(s) not necessarily reflected on the card.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-10-2017, 03:41 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifocal View Post
I use a card, a stubby pencil and can remember how to count to 6. Pretty much covers it.

Well, except for abbreviations for discs thrown on each hole, arrows for current wind direction, exclamation points, ...

I'm a stats nerd (to some degree) so I expect I'll eventually get to your level of score keeping. In the meantime, I'll just continue using the DGCR app the way I did on that last round.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 145
Niced 294 Times in 149 Posts

I write my scores down on a scorecard and manually enter them on my desktop at a later time. I don't want to fool around with my phone out on the course (so I fool around with a scorecard instead, lol). I used to keep my putting stats, but I also couldn't really define what a putt is, so I stopped entering that. Haven't missed it, it just wasn't important to me.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 7
Niced 185 Times in 129 Posts

^ that. I am also a stats nut (did it for a living for awhile), but DG is different for me. I only track scores, everything else is usually counter productive to having fun.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 307
Niced 230 Times in 116 Posts

We always joke about what a "putt" is. At a birdie bash, you've only got two throws per hole, so the second one is a putt, whether it's a tap in, or a 150 footer through the woods 'coz you caromed off that tee shot...right?

I've kept my per hole score since before I ever picked up a golf disc (started in the neighborhood with frisbees, stop signs & fire hydrants in 2011). Keeps it fun for me to enter & forget, so I just think about the moment. Then I enter the stats on the scorebook here on my PC afterwards. Never have kept stats for "putts", but I do annotate as well, so I can look back and see when it was that I hit the cage that one time... Stats and memories can be fun!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.4
Courses Played: 59
Niced 224 Times in 128 Posts

Birdie Beads for the win. ... monkey finger stick scrall or electronica input, pfffhht.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

So, the consensus seems to be, "As longs as it doesn't get in the way of fun, do whatever." That works for me.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 254
Niced 37 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaitatsu View Post
I got out to a new course this weekend. I even got the wife to come out for her first disc golf experience! Now I have more questions.

This is the first time I have kept a detailed score and I am using the DGCR iOS app. Initially, I enter the number of non-putt throws under Score, and putts and penalties in their respective boxes. I expected the app to total them up but when I got to the end, it only showed what I entered for the Score. I went back and totaled up the scores in the Score and then submitted to my DGCR account. Did I do that right?

So, what defines a Putt anyway? While I was keeping my score, I counted it as anything I used a putter for. After the game, I looked up score keeping and saw a post somewhere that defined at as a throw within 30 feet of the basket. I'm sure my definition isn't right, but I didn't see anything that looked "official" anywhere.

In case you're interested, my wife had a pretty good time. She was embarrassed with her performance despite noticeable improvement over the duration of the course. She did say that she would play nine holes anytime I wanted though so I will count this as a positive. We have a big yard with some trees to aim at so we can get some practice in on a regular basis.
Use a scorecard and pencil if you can for the experience of always starting on hole #1. FYI, When you play in your first sanctioned tournament you will appear to be a veteran if you are top of the card, start on hole #7 but start recording your scores (with a pencil with an eraser) under the hole #1 field. I have played >100 sanctioned tournaments in the SE, NE and Midwest and 10%-15% of the rounds, this has occurred.

Last edited by filobedo; 09-11-2017 at 08:58 AM.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 75
Niced 24 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Use a scorecard and pencil if you can for the experience of always starting on hole #1. FYI, When you play in your first sanctioned tournament you will appear to be a veteran if you are top of the card, start on hole #7 but start recording your scores (with a pencil with an eraser) under the hole #1 field. I have played >100 sanctioned tournaments in the SE, NE and Midwest and 10%-15% of the rounds, this has occurred.
At our first tournmentthat we held we had a card come in where they started on 1 and went down each spot with the score. That little spot between 9 and 10 to let you add up each half? They put their tenth hole score in it. They continued all the way to 17 and stopped there. Didn't add or anything. Now, this was an unsanctioned tournament, and we had a bunch of newbys there. From then on out we've had to add "How to properly use your scorecard" to the players meeting.