Old 09-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,054 Times in 552 Posts
Default Throwing from behind the tee.

Pro Masters Worlds Round 5 Hole 4. 4:40 on the video.

What’s with Barry’s stance here? Was there a special “anywhere in the proximity” rule announced?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WTFF.jpg (50.5 KB, 136 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2017, 12:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 241 Times in 124 Posts

He's taking casual relief. Looks a little wet.

Q & A 30
Quote:
Q: What can I do about an unplayable, unsafe, or poorly marked tee?

A: If the problem with the tee is a casual obstacle that cannot be easily removed (such as standing water), you can take casual relief up to 5m behind the tee. No relief is provided for other adverse tee conditions, though you can place a towel down to provide traction if the tee is slippery. If you're desperate, you can use the Optional Relief rule to move back along the line of play as far as you like, at the cost of one penalty throw. If the tee is poorly marked, locate an official or a local player in other groups if possible to help identify the tee area boundaries. Applicable Rules: 803.01 Obstacles and Relief; 801.03 Artificial Devices.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Par Member

Niced 80 Times in 42 Posts

The tee itself doesn't look wet, and even if it was, casual relief would not be permitted. That's pretty explicitly stated in the QA, which describes using a towel during the adverse condition of a slippery tee.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,908 Times in 814 Posts

That tee doesn't look wet to me, and certainly isn't under water (note that casual relief is only allowed if the obstacle is immovable, such as standing water). Johne throws from it without issue right after Barry.

I would assume that there was a stipulation made by the TD allowing players to tee behind the pad for some reason, otherwise I question the legality of that throw.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 312
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 305 Times in 146 Posts

I don't usually, but got curious, so checked the video. The player before him threw off a towel on the tee. Must be one of those grey, wet days where you can't tell from the picture just how wet it was.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 230 Times in 174 Posts

Ok so on a related note does ice count as standing water?
Old 09-24-2017, 01:23 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 20
Niced 179 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 View Post
Ok so on a related note does ice count as standing water?
No.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 278
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,559 Times in 807 Posts

Hmmm... That's interesting.

You'd think that ice is something players would look to avoid on a tee more so than water. Certainly more likely to result in injury or at least a messed up throw because of lousy footing.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 44.4
Courses Played: 322
Niced 1,054 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
He's taking casual relief. Looks a little wet.

Q & A 30
While relief is allowed even when your lie is the tee, I didn't see any of the listed obstacles you can take relief from. The tee was not covered in water.

Also, if he was taking relief, he should have placed a mini marker at the back edge of the whatever he was taking relief from.

Quote:
803.01 Obstacles And Relief
B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).

802.03 Marking The Lie
C. A player is required to mark the lie with a mini marker disc in the following situations:
1. Marking an approximate lie; and,
2. Marking a disc above or below the playing surface (see 802.02.B); and,
3. Relocating the lie within one meter of an out-of-bounds area (see 802.03.D); and,
4. Taking relief (see 803.01).

Old 09-24-2017, 03:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 241 Times in 124 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
That tee doesn't look wet to me, and certainly isn't under water (note that casual relief is only allowed if the obstacle is immovable, such as standing water). Johne throws from it without issue right after Barry.

I would assume that there was a stipulation made by the TD allowing players to tee behind the pad for some reason, otherwise I question the legality of that throw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
While relief is allowed even when your lie is the tee, I didn't see any of the listed obstacles you can take relief from. The tee was not covered in water.

Also, if he was taking relief, he should have placed a mini marker at the back edge of the whatever he was taking relief from.
We often play in wet conditions here in the Pacific NW, and TDs will frequently permit (even encourage) teeing off behind the pad. I have never seen a player use a marker when doing it.

I suppose the TD *should* stipulate the teeing area is extended 5 meters to the rear, which would officially remove the need for a marker, but they often do not specify that extension.

Just to add a little spice to the marker issue, where would the marker be placed? Consider that a player's lie is the entire tee pad, so it's reasonable to argue the "line of play" is as wide as the pad.