Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Par Member

Niced 53 Times in 30 Posts
Default Frustration.

My brain just wont use the momentum and the "weight of the disc when i throw discs. Too some extent i do but, not the same as if i were swinging a hammer around or even my cell phone. Im swinging the object and from what i saw from shawn clement, i let the object fall and get my body out of the way. I get this smooth swing where i can feel i use the momentum i generate to propel the object, it doesnt feel forced. As soon as i try to throw a disc i cant help but try to manipulate the disc. Im i the only one struggling to get that feel with discs?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 487 Times in 217 Posts

I dont think I have ever felt the weight of the disc when throwing. Never had it feel like I was swinging a hammer or anything close to that. To me its just the action of throwing something.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,364 Times in 1,468 Posts

IDK how you can aim or throw or predict anything without feeling the weight of the object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dunipace
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...esecrets.shtml
IV. The Hit (Snap)

The most important part of any throw is the “hit”. The hit is a collective term referring to the rhythm, orientation, placement, power, and feel of the disc ripping out of your grip. Everything is done to accommodate the hit; this includes snap rhythm, power, plus disc angles and position in space. The hit is where the disc pivots until it rips out of your hand. It is a concentrated acceleration that is very easy to feel when it is short and quick, but more difficult when it is not. The feel is everything. Your concentration should be on the feel of the disc as a central focus. You need to feel the orientation, the position in space, and you need to feel of the weight (inertial shift) as the disc is ripping out of your grip. Prepare your shot from the hit back. In other words, find how you want to position your body such that you have the most power pulling at the very end of the hit rather than the beginning. The most important elements of the hit are a quick pivot into a strong rip with strong fingers and wrist. Next in importance are very quick acceleration into the hit and a strong pull through. Following these primary elements would be helping factors like footwork, footing, strength, flexibility, specific mechanics (such as the bent elbow start), quick and powerful hip and shoulder turn, and using your center of gravity effectively. A strong grip, flexibility, and excellent timing are important, but strong hips, thighs, upper buttocks, and torso muscles also help.

Aim with the momentum of the accelerating disc at the hit, not with the motion of the disc up to the whip. When the disc pivots and rips out it get very heavy. That directed weight, caused by acceleration, is what you aim with. Never take your focus off of the weight of the disc, disc position and the back of disc that will leave latest. What happens to good throwers all the time is that they get caught up in mechanics such as foot placement, arm motion, or body position, and they lose track of the most important focal point that determines all the rest. It's very hard to describe the focal point to someone who hasn't been aware of it. It's that quick pivot and disc ripping movement or sensation that we use to time and aim our shots. All of our energy is used to power the pivot and rip of the disc out of our hands. Find your rip point and focus on the sensation of the disc accelerating and ripping out; let that feeling guide everything that you do.

When analyzing your throw you should ask yourself questions like "Does the hit feel quick, powerful, oriented, and properly directed?" If the answer to any of those questions is “No” then find out why. The two most important places to look first would be directly before and after the hit. That is assuming that you have the sharp rhythm of the hit first. Try to find out what can you do better to accommodate the hit. Look at areas such as better starting mechanics, better finishing mechanics, better grip mechanics, more compact hit, better foot placement, better shoes, better pivot, better arm position, better focus on the hit.

At the hit some people wonder which you should try to get - more speed or more spin. Ken Climo advises that you should try to get more speed. Mr. Climo wrote, “Try to get more speed off the hand instead of worrying about spin. Use your legs, hips, back, and shoulders to create max speed, and the spin will take care of itself. If you get more speed on the disc you will get more spin.”
Old 04-18-2019, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Nice vid, thats what im trying to replicate. Nothing to do but try to get the feel of that hit. To some it comes more naturaly i guess, or from baseball and such.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 159
Niced 487 Times in 217 Posts

I probably just never notice the weight. Ive never thought that I have to feel the weight to be able to throw the disc. I just throw it.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,343 Times in 1,503 Posts

When you try to swing with a hammer, don't just feel the weight of the hammer at the end of a loose/whippy arm, but feel it connected through your arm. So like your whole arm is heavy plus it has the weight of the hammer on it firmly. Then when that feels normal, try that same thing with the disc in hand. Although the disc is very light you should still be able to feel like your arm has weight to it, and the disc is connected to the heavy arm.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
When you try to swing with a hammer, don't just feel the weight of the hammer at the end of a loose/whippy arm, but feel it connected through your arm. So like your whole arm is heavy plus it has the weight of the hammer on it firmly. Then when that feels normal, try that same thing with the disc in hand. Although the disc is very light you should still be able to feel like your arm has weight to it, and the disc is connected to the heavy arm.
Good idea.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,364 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacledbear View Post
Good idea.
Go through the hit in slow motion. Feel how your wrist and whole arm/body has to be tensioned/taut to deliver a blow with your body/weight leveraged behind it in slow mo.

If you press against a wall, then any slack in the chain or collapsing causes your body to rotate into/through the hit(bad) instead of extending away(good).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4&t=3m25s
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,515 Times in 870 Posts

The whole weight natural snap thing has never worked for me. And I cut my teeth on advice from guys like Dunipace. At this point I think all that is bs, again, for me. The snap or hit is an active process of snapping the disc out, again, for me. To snap that disc out you have to put your arm and hand in the right position to do that. If you don't, that backhand flick is weak. All the stuff sidewinder describes in his eloquent work accomplishes that.

You may think that wrist snap is passive, but for me it is not. For me, my subconscious has learned to time that wrist snap to the movements that sidewinder describes and to my intended target. And yes, timing matters. If that wrist snap doesn't coincide with arm and body movement, it's a weak throw.

Weight only matters in that an empty flick of the hand is an empty flick of the hand. The weight of the disc is what I'm flicking.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 615 Times in 366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
For me, my subconscious has learned...
Bingo! It's fine to technically learn all the details, drills, etc, etc, but at the end of the day as long as your doing the drills...physically correctly...in time it will work and when it works you won't even know you're doing it. At some point you have to stop over thinking the mechanics and just throw over and over. I think how long it takes to really get a decent form, snap, etc, is lost sometimes. Very few people can pick up a disc for the first time and throw it decently. The majority of success stories were years in the making. Let's don't forget players like Eagle and Simon, even though they are in their early 20s, have been throwing discs for over a decade or more.