Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Long downhill throws

This may seem like a dumb question, sorry if it is. If you are on top of a high slope and are throwing downhill is it best to throw straight out or throw down the slope. I have always thrown straight out but a couple of guys in our club tell me that's not a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 828
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 31 Times in 19 Posts

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but generally following the slope is the best plan. Throwing out will give the disc a lot more chance to turn or fade, but you lose a lot of distance. Throwing along the slope will let you throw a lot farther and be a lot less subject to wind and fading out hard.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 64
Niced 17 Times in 9 Posts

Take a look at the attached picture. Hole 7 at Nockamixon State park in PA. This is one of the holes where you can do either throw from the two you described.

The blue shows the throw flat with a hard fade and the pink shows the straight down the slope on a slight anhyzer. When I played this for the first time I took both shots into account but because the wind wasn't to bad I just decided to take the straight shot with a hard fade. I threw a relatively straight disc (Opto Saint). Worked out perfect and faded back nice for a 20ft putt that of course I missed It really comes down to what the shot calls for and what you feel more comfortable throwing.

By the way don't mind the brown chicken with its head cut off in the lower part of the pic. My dog decided to jump into the panorama shot I was trying to take with my iPhone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nockamixon Hole 7.jpg (146.1 KB, 266 views)
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 71
Niced 268 Times in 157 Posts

Do u throw straight out on a uphill throw? Prolly not, u have to throw the shot the hole requires. Most of the time u should throw down with the downhill slope.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 78
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoate7 View Post
Take a look at the attached picture. Hole 7 at Nockamixon State park in PA. This is one of the holes where you can do either throw from the two you described.

The blue shows the throw flat with a hard fade and the pink shows the straight down the slope on a slight anhyzer. When I played this for the first time I took both shots into account but because the wind wasn't to bad I just decided to take the straight shot with a hard fade. I threw a relatively straight disc (Opto Saint). Worked out perfect and faded back nice for a 20ft putt that of course I missed It really comes down to what the shot calls for and what you feel more comfortable throwing.

By the way don't mind the brown chicken with its head cut off in the lower part of the pic. My dog decided to jump into the panorama shot I was trying to take with my iPhone.
Hyzer Ahot over the trees all day
Old 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 47
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It just depends on the hole. If it is a long down hill wooded hole you will probably want to stick pretty close to the slope so you don't end up 200ft to the left of the fairway in the woods. If it is an open hole you can be more lenient.

On the hole below (#9 Ashe County) I normally aim in that red area. It is lower than I would throw the hole if it was flat but it also doesn't really follow the slope of the hole. Also remember if you have a good flat mid-range give that a try. On high holes glide is your friend.

Last edited by vonDrehle; 06-26-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

2008 worlds final hole on the ladies card has your answer.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 258 Times in 168 Posts

Hole 17 at the Woods at St, Mary's is a long downhill throw - A normal throw generally takes a ton of air and goes high and stalls, especially if the winds are out.

I'd vote throwing down. I turned and burned my last drive there and it went as far as any other throw I've had there.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hole 14 at Whistler's Bend (OR) is most definetly a throw down the slope shot. The basket is the speck near the bush to the left of the guys head.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,106 Posts

It depends... if you wanna get to a pin that's basically straight ahead, follow the terrain.
If you want the disc to fade hard and really come off the line it was thrown on, throw flat.

You can also throw something understable on a hyzer flip (or somewhat overstable on a flex shot) and throw them relatively flat (with respect to nose angle - hyzer flips and flex shots can't be thrown truly flat) and get them to S out and fade back toward the center of a fairway when throwing down a big hill or well elevated tee.

Some key things to remember:
1) the disc wants to fade as it slows - it's inherent in a spinning disc towards the end of it's flight as the fwd velocity slows.
2) The farther the disc is from the ground when it slows, the farther the disc able to fade as it's falling. The greater the fall, the greater the fade falls... away from the line you threw it on.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 06-26-2013 at 11:51 PM.