#61  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:10 PM
craftsman craftsman is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Liv. Mi.
Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Posts: 4,957
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

The difference between bowling, softball, etc and discgolf is that dg is running illegal gambling with (ime) a good portion of its participants breaking other laws.
Imo, we should reconize this and tread a lil lighter.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Dave242's Avatar
Dave242 Dave242 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Forest, IL
Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,508
Niced 22 Times in 10 Posts
Default

No need to tread lighter as a fix. If leagues tread lighter they are complicit in the illegalities you speak of. Fix the illegal problems.....or at least distance yourselves from them as far as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,880
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
You need to look at it from the perspective of other how other sports leagues use public park facilities dedicated to their activities.

Consider softball & soccer: they use specific facilities at public parks and it would make no sense at all for random individuals to go onto those facilities during organized events and expect to practice batting or shooting goals. Why would DG be any different?

Well, it is different. League players should kindly explain this analogy to individuals....and kindly let them know that it is different in that both league players and individuals can play the course at the same time. But, that the organized league event takes priority.

Individuals co-mingling with a league should kindly realize that they are fortunate that they are allowed on the course during league play (unlike softball or soccer). As has been mentioned, if it is a large league with groups on most/all holes then co-mingling will be a very slow moving experience.
Fortunate to be allowed? The league has priority? Those sound like nothing but elitist statements.
If they are that important then close the course, have signs up explaining the course is closed or get out of the way of the other people enjoying the public park.

If it's a private course, the owner has the say.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,186
Niced 4,176 Times in 1,747 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Fortunate to be allowed? The league has priority? Those sound like nothing but elitist statements.
If they are that important then close the course, have signs up explaining the course is closed or get out of the way of the other people enjoying the public park.

If it's a private course, the owner has the say.
I'm not sure he's necessarily trying to sound elitist. Imagine your local rec center, Y, etc. has a rec basketball league going on certain nights, with a set structure, teams, scorekeepers, refs everything. People who come that night to "just shoot a round" aren't going to be allowed to play while those games are going on.

I think that's what he was getting at
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,880
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm not sure he's necessarily trying to sound elitist. Imagine your local rec center, Y, etc. has a rec basketball league going on certain nights, with a set structure, teams, scorekeepers, refs everything. People who come that night to "just shoot a round" aren't going to be allowed to play while those games are going on.

I think that's what he was getting at
I don't agree with the comparisons. 18 tees, fairways and baskets are not the same as one court with 2 baskets or one field with two goals.

I don't think of Dave as an elitists from what I've seen him post on these forums, but those statements come across that way to me.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
dysmike's Avatar
dysmike dysmike is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Aridzona
Courses Played: 17
Posts: 957
Niced 280 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
I'm not sure he's necessarily trying to sound elitist. Imagine your local rec center, Y, etc. has a rec basketball league going on certain nights, with a set structure, teams, scorekeepers, refs everything. People who come that night to "just shoot a round" aren't going to be allowed to play while those games are going on.

I think that's what he was getting at
Obviously the courses, and leagues, are more organized in your locality. Here, not so much. Then again, I've also never had an issue either playing through, or around, with the leagues here. At most I'll get an invitation to join.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Streets's Avatar
Streets Streets is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 9,186
Niced 4,176 Times in 1,747 Posts
Default

There's a mix of both around my area, large/small, laid back/well organized.

I was just trying to make a connection with what Dave said, not commenting about my area.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:06 PM
DiscinFiend's Avatar
DiscinFiend DiscinFiend is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,758
Niced 173 Times in 106 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
You need to look at it from the perspective of other how other sports leagues use public park facilities dedicated to their activities.

Consider softball & soccer: they use specific facilities at public parks and it would make no sense at all for random individuals to go onto those facilities during organized events and expect to practice batting or shooting goals. Why would DG be any different?

Well, it is different. League players should kindly explain this analogy to individuals....and kindly let them know that it is different in that both league players and individuals can play the course at the same time. But, that the organized league event takes priority.

Individuals co-mingling with a league should kindly realize that they are fortunate that they are allowed on the course during league play (unlike softball or soccer). As has been mentioned, if it is a large league with groups on most/all holes then co-mingling will be a very slow moving experience.
I agree 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
The difference between bowling, softball, etc and discgolf is that dg is running illegal gambling with (ime) a good portion of its participants breaking other laws.
Imo, we should reconize this and tread a lil lighter.
That's being stereotypical, that's like saying all snowboarders & skateboarders smoke...there are plenty of illegal activities happening in all sports/activities so saying that in dg "a good portion of its participants" are breaking laws is just being ignorant. I've been in quite a few leagues & there are people doing illegal things but not a majority of people by any means. I've seen more casual players do stuff like that than league competitors. Also there is no reason to tread lighter for the exact reasons I stated.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,880
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysmike View Post
Obviously the courses, and leagues, are more organized in your locality. Here, not so much. Then again, I've also never had an issue either playing through, or around, with the leagues here. At most I'll get an invitation to join.
Makes me wonder how many leagues draw 72 people every week. Or even once a season.
Reply With Quote
 

  #70  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Puckstopper's Avatar
Puckstopper Puckstopper is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigander at heart...
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,371
Niced 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Sorry... but I think back to all my years of playing real golf leagues and I don't recall anyone playing that night that wasn't in the league. Don't see why disc golf should be any different.
Uh, because in real golf the league is run by the course(which owns the land) in order to bring in players who will pay for greens fees/cart rental, food and beverages, items from the pro shop, etc. In disc golf the game is usually played on public land which is free for the use of all. A private disc golf course is welcome to close itself to non league players. If you want to close a public park you need to pay for a permit usually. Sorry to let facts get in the way of your "point".

Now, I'll be the first to say that I think if you see it's league night and you don't want to play in the league you should probably find another course. However, I know it's easy for me to say that, given that there are a wide variety of courses to choose from here in Columbus. In other areas it may not be so cut and dry.

Finally, OP, you're kind of a tool. Whether it's league play or not, I'm not letting you play through if I'm keeping pace with the group in front of me and they're keeping up with the group in front of them (which is usually the landscape on league nights). If the course is crowded and a group isn't keeping up it's fine to play through. But if the course is full, you playing through is creating a ripple effect of slowness behind you. If you understand that you'll understand when it's appropriate to play through, and when its not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MN amateur disc golf league BALRODG 10th season-Not your average league Muskiebite DGCR Meets 1 03-17-2016 12:38 PM
Inconsiderate league players HiFi General Disc Golf Chat 112 08-30-2013 03:26 PM
Ooo ahhhh some oop and others, take a look! surgeflx87 The Marketplace 5 12-25-2010 01:57 PM
2 aces in 1 league round same group of players discgolferlee General Disc Golf Chat 3 09-16-2009 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.