Old 09-15-2013, 01:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscinFiend View Post
I agree 100%

That's being stereotypical, that's like saying all snowboarders & skateboarders smoke...there are plenty of illegal activities happening in all sports/activities so saying that in dg "a good portion of its participants" are breaking laws is just being ignorant. I've been in quite a few leagues & there are people doing illegal things but not a majority of people by any means. I've seen more casual players do stuff like that than league competitors. Also there is no reason to tread lighter for the exact reasons I stated.
Yes, as a minority smoker, i find sterotyping to work very well.
I have a hard time believing that "all sports/activities" have the same percentage of law breakers.
I have been playing over ten yrs and have also played in many leagues and have found it to be a majority. What makes your expierence hold more water than mine? I feel its you who is being ignorant.
"And there is no reason to tread light..." and what reason was that you gave, that other activities break laws too??

I would also like to point out that my main point was the illegal gambling.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 40
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It would probably only classify that way if the league was paying a fee to the park district. Disc golfers don't like to do that though, every league I've ever been involved in has just handled all the money themselves with none going to the park and no reservation fees paid. If we want to be treated like other organized sports and have a dedicated area for our weekly leagues, we have to get out of that mentality and be willing to have the park involved in running the leagues and let them take most of the money. As it is, we're just a bunch of guys illegally gambling in the park. I doubt the parks people or the police are going to be on our side when we complain to them that other people are trying to share the park.
Im glad someone gets it
Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

We never have our home course here closed for league. I would never want it that way either. Keeping it open to casuals during league is the best advertising for league that we could ever do.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:27 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 280 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
We never have our home course here closed for league. I would never want it that way either. Keeping it open to casuals during league is the best advertising for league that we could ever do.
Yep.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 1 Post

Just skimming some of the last couple pages, man am I glad all the courses I play are privately owned.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think of leagues as a party. Got a group of people hanging out over here and a few over there and here you come. You're the outsider. Now you have to deal with this part of the party for a little bit. Who knows what part of the party you're going to have to deal with, the drunks, the hippies, the quiet types, maybe even the douchebags of the party. But you are still the outsider and you want to do the same thing that the party is doing. There are way too many different mindsets right now for this interaction to go well every time.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Phil G View Post
But you are still the outsider and you want to do the same thing that the party is doing.
WROOONNNNGGGGGGGG.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 28.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 9 Times in 7 Posts

League players need to respect the casuals and if faster let them play through. As a casual I would not mind beating the crap out of league players if they disobey. Sometimes you need to teach people a lesson.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 27.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the spirit^^

Old 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 117
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

It sounds wrong but there is a lot of reality to it. Im not implying that only the party can have fun. It takes effort by both the party and the outsider to get along.