Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 AM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post

I have smaller hands, and because of that I prefer to use a power grip at all times no matter what kind of disc or shot I’m throwing. I’ve messed around with using fan grips, modified fan grips, fork grips, etc when throwing putters but eventually I found that instead of working with different grips I could use the same power grip I use on drivers and midranges with smaller rimmed putters. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason, because it was one of the only small rimmed putters I could find. Since adopting the small rimmed putters, I’ve been able to work much better lines off the tee pad. That being said, the Colt and Stud both have rims that are smaller than most “small” rimmed putters, so they may not feel good in hand to everyone
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 758 Times in 649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickRhino View Post
I have smaller hands, and because of that I prefer to use a power grip at all times no matter what kind of disc or shot I’m throwing. I’ve messed around with using fan grips, modified fan grips, fork grips, etc when throwing putters but eventually I found that instead of working with different grips I could use the same power grip I use on drivers and midranges with smaller rimmed putters. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason, because it was one of the only small rimmed putters I could find. Since adopting the small rimmed putters, I’ve been able to work much better lines off the tee pad. That being said, the Colt and Stud both have rims that are smaller than most “small” rimmed putters, so they may not feel good in hand to everyone
Nice to see that I am not the only one with small hands. Mine as an adult born December, 20 1988 are the same size as a kids XL-adult x-small. I have to use an odd putting style with the left hand guiding the disc flat, the type of Putting style I do has the Up and down being the only equation to still correct. I do a power slant grip basically a slanted version of the power grip to have control of the disc when I throw or it does not come clean out of the hand. I use a Magnet, if somebody made a putter that is a lower profile disc though the same disc I might try it out as a putter. I have tried low profile putters in the hand and keep going back to the Magnets one for approach shots then a putter, now in Jawbreaker and one a old 2004 Hard D Magnet that is also stiff. The Reason to keep going back to the Magnets is the way the bottom wing feels with the way I putt using that groove in the wing with my index finger.
In 2006 Discraft as did Innova had their baseline plastic feel a bit softer at that point. Does Innova's DX still harden a tiny bit over time?, not sure how the numbered DX Innova discs feel over time.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 09-21-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

Hey TripleB, if you want something thinner than an Aviar, which also happens to be the straightest disc known to man, try out a Pure. You can thank me later.

On another note, I just picked up a Sparta and maaaan is it sweet....

I putt with Pa4s in 350g plastic though. That's what works for me. Stick with your Aviar for a while until you are ready to branch out.

Last edited by august dupree; 09-21-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Niced 143 Times in 78 Posts

[QUOTE=BrickRhino;3224031. I now bag a Colt for this specific reason, because it was one of the only small rimmed putters I could find.[/QUOTE]

Nice!

If I were to try a different putter it would more than likely be the Colt, or maybe the Ringer.

Thanks for everyone's input!!!

TripleB

ugh...hate typing a reply on my phone

Last edited by TripleB; 09-21-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Ions 4 lyfe. With the rounded cores that fit any normal person fingers
Great design if you want to hold on to the disc. Worst design of any disc golf product ever.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 106 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by august dupree View Post
Hey TripleB, if you want something thinner than an Aviar, which also happens to be the straightest disc known to man, try out a Pure. You can thank me later.

On another note, I just picked up a Sparta and maaaan is it sweet....

I putt with Pa4s in 350g plastic though. That's what works for me. Stick with your Aviar for a while until you are ready to branch out.

The Sparta really IS sweet! I highly recommend it.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,565 Times in 705 Posts

A few threads talking about shallow putters.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...=112692&page=3

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...ad.php?t=31640

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=116542

Might be able to get some more info from them.

I wouldn't give up on the Aviar just yet. Give it time. You just started, nothing feels right! you haven't played enough yet to know what "feels right" even means yet in term of discs. Your style and grips will change, don't be so eagre to try every putter out there just yet.

Learning to throw a normal putter has a lot of advantages, especially on longer putts and short up shots.

Shallow may feel better now, but it might be wise to learn both.

I use to putt with a Shark and a Mako because I hated the depth of normal putters, but once I learned to throw real putters, my game really improved. And yes, I have shallow putters too. I bag Yeti Aiars and Rhynos.

Get a Polecat and learn to throw it, it might change your opinion of deep putters

Try some other players putters, maybe you will like a beaded putter better.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Keller; 09-21-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 12
Niced 50 Times in 30 Posts

I fell in love with the Judge as an all around putter but never got fully comfortable with the depth. Picked up a warden which is (some people argue this though) a beadless judge and it is much more comfortable. Comfort usually means confidence.

Don't write off molds in the entirety though. Get your hands on them. I found a classic blend judge a few weeks back that is really flat and feels almost identical to my wardens in the hand.

Best way to do it is grab up any used putters you can and start practicing with them. Once you find one that doesn't feel right in your hand, go trade it for one of the ones that you like. Soon you will have a stack of putters that feel comfortable to you.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 48
Niced 823 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atison View Post
I fell in love with the Judge as an all around putter but never got fully comfortable with the depth. Picked up a warden which is (some people argue this though) a beadless judge and it is much more comfortable. Comfort usually means confidence.
Yeah, it's not really even close to a beadless judge. The only mold I know in that bullet nose with a bead family that is a beadless version is maybe the Voodoo, but that is only based on what I have read online. Warden is more of an Aviar clone. .

Old 09-21-2017, 01:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 590 Times in 432 Posts

Yeah im sure its all been said but, GENERALLY speaking, thinner putters are faster and have less glide.

Advantage. They seem to slip over the basket easier because they are so thin, can get a quick putt in, feel in hand is usually nicer (but that's preference)
Disadvantage: If you miss it could be a little further past the basket than you'd want. Stability is more questionable the thinner the disc....typically, but for Putting only, its really preference and feel and the Glide vs Speed preferences.

Ive used BOTH and honestly I like both - I currently go with a Slower Glidier putter because I feel I can control it in a putt better and allows for controlled longer putts as well that wont go too far past the basket on a miss.

I did putt really well with a Atom and Pilot was decent too, same with the Reko (pretty thin)

but I like a blocky bulky putter mainly for ranging in those 40 and in putts