Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default My current bag and game

Alright, so I need some help here. First, let me explain my situation.

I've been playing disc golf on and off for about six years. I currently live in area that doesn't have a quality course (many teepads and signs are missing on the course that is here, though there is an overhead map I've downloaded so I guess it is playable). When I first got into disc golf, I lived in this area, but then moved to an area with good courses. I was there for three years before moving back to this disc golf deprived city. By the way, the closest course to me that's any good is about forty-five minutes to an hour away. I could be moving in the future (hopefully to an area with at least one good course) so that partially serves as a motivation for me to improve my game.

The furthest I can throw is about 300 feet with a Tern. I think my technique is probably faulty if this is the case. I've never had a pro look at my form nor have I videoed myself (though I am willing to do so). It also seems like there's not much difference in distance between my discs (i.e. only 30 feet of difference between mids and fairway drivers). Maybe the reason I don't have much power in my shots is because of faulty technique.

I also think my bag could use a retooling. I've already begun this process by changing my putter to a whale. The main reason for this was so I could have putter that is good in wind. I've putted with it, but I haven't had a chance to throw upshots with it yet. It's been a great putter for me so far!

Anyway, here's my bag:

Putters
2 175g XT Whales

Mids
1 176g Kc Pro Roc (it's beat in so it's not quite as overstable, but it's still overstable nonetheless)
1 180g Mako3 (I love how straight this disc is, but I may consider getting it in a little lighter weight)

Fairway drivers

1 170g Champion Teebird
1 175g Pro Leopard
1 164g DX Eagle (beat in but fades a little)
1 175g Champion TL (I bought it thinking it would be a point and shoot kind of disc but it's hard to throw, I'll
most likely remove it from my bag)

Distance drivers

1 175g Millennium Sirius Orion LS (straight to understable)
1 171g Gstar Krait (a little too much for me)
1 175g Star Destroyer (too much for me!!!)
1 168g Champion Tern (love it!!!)

As you can see, in some places, I don't have a shot in my bag (like an understable mid). I also want to get drivers in lighter weights, preferably 167-168g.

Can anyone make suggestions as to what I should nix and add?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2017, 01:32 AM
Bogey Member

Oh, and I'm a RHBH thrower. My forehand game needs to be developed. I also want to stay with Innova discs as much as possible.

Last edited by DJBackhand; 10-19-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Still a puppy

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 262 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBackhand View Post
Alright, so I need some help here. First, let me explain my situation.

I've been playing disc golf on and off for about six years. I currently live in area that doesn't have a quality course (many teepads and signs are missing on the course that is here, though there is an overhead map I've downloaded so I guess it is playable). When I first got into disc golf, I lived in this area, but then moved to an area with good courses. I was there for three years before moving back to this disc golf deprived city. By the way, the closest course to me that's any good is about forty-five minutes to an hour away. I could be moving in the future (hopefully to an area with at least one good course) so that partially serves as a motivation for me to improve my game.

The furthest I can throw is about 300 feet with a Tern. I think my technique is probably faulty if this is the case. I've never had a pro look at my form nor have I videoed myself (though I am willing to do so). It also seems like there's not much difference in distance between my discs (i.e. only 30 feet of difference between mids and fairway drivers). Maybe the reason I don't have much power in my shots is because of faulty technique.

I also think my bag could use a retooling. I've already begun this process by changing my putter to a whale. The main reason for this was so I could have putter that is good in wind. I've putted with it, but I haven't had a chance to throw upshots with it yet. It's been a great putter for me so far!

Anyway, here's my bag:

Putters
2 175g XT Whales

Mids
1 176g Kc Pro Roc (it's beat in so it's not quite as overstable, but it's still overstable nonetheless)
1 180g Mako3 (I love how straight this disc is, but I may consider getting it in a little lighter weight)

Fairway drivers

1 170g Champion Teebird
1 175g Pro Leopard
1 164g DX Eagle (beat in but fades a little)
1 175g Champion TL (I bought it thinking it would be a point and shoot kind of disc but it's hard to throw, I'll
most likely remove it from my bag)

Distance drivers

1 175g Millennium Sirius Orion LS (straight to understable)
1 171g Gstar Krait (a little too much for me)
1 175g Star Destroyer (too much for me!!!)
1 168g Champion Tern (love it!!!)

As you can see, in some places, I don't have a shot in my bag (like an understable mid). I also want to get drivers in lighter weights, preferably 167-168g.

Can anyone make suggestions as to what I should nix and add?

Thanks
Maybe if you wanna try those distance drivers in blizzard plastic, you can get those in 155 or lower in that plastic, it may be easier to throw.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,565 Times in 705 Posts

Besides the Krait, Tern and Destroyer, you have a pretty good bag. My bag isn't much different except I have Rhynos for approach putters and a Firebird as a utility disc.

For the understable mid, could try a Cobra, but I would just get a DX Roc and beat it in. If you have no preference for beaded or nonbeaded, could try a star Stingray. I personally don't care for out of the box flippy discs, they have no place to go but get flippier, (and more unpredictable) and they just don't fit my game. But a lot of people love them and put them to good use.

I know you prefer Innova, but my under stable mid is a beat X-Comet, but a beat DX Roc will get you close too.

Nothing wrong with throwing your Tern if you enjoy it, but it's hindering you. With a little work, you should be able to get all your fairways out to 300 ft especially that seasoned dx Eagle!

I would get a video or find someone who knows what they're doing to look at your form before buying anymore discs, but, if you really feel the itch, I can think of a few really good discs that will show you how you're doing and are really fun to watch fly when you peg them right. A DX Polecat, DX Cheetah and an X-Comet! I have played rounds with just these 3 discs and have had the most fun when I'm in a rut or just trying to focus on my form. Learn these 3 discs, and you can throw anything.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 219 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Besides the Krait, Tern and Destroyer, you have a pretty good bag.
[...]
Nothing wrong with throwing your Tern if you enjoy it [...]
This!

Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Besides the Krait, Tern and Destroyer, you have a pretty good bag. My bag isn't much different except I have Rhynos for approach putters and a Firebird as a utility disc.

For the understable mid, could try a Cobra, but I would just get a DX Roc and beat it in. If you have no preference for beaded or nonbeaded, could try a star Stingray. I personally don't care for out of the box flippy discs, they have no place to go but get flippier, (and more unpredictable) and they just don't fit my game. But a lot of people love them and put them to good use.

I know you prefer Innova, but my under stable mid is a beat X-Comet, but a beat DX Roc will get you close too.

Nothing wrong with throwing your Tern if you enjoy it, but it's hindering you. With a little work, you should be able to get all your fairways out to 300 ft especially that seasoned dx Eagle!

I would get a video or find someone who knows what they're doing to look at your form before buying anymore discs, but, if you really feel the itch, I can think of a few really good discs that will show you how you're doing and are really fun to watch fly when you peg them right. A DX Polecat, DX Cheetah and an X-Comet! I have played rounds with just these 3 discs and have had the most fun when I'm in a rut or just trying to focus on my form. Learn these 3 discs, and you can throw anything.
Thanks for all the helpful input! I think I'll post videos of me driving with a putter on the forum. If I'm thinking correctly here, it should be the easiest to work out mechanics with a putter.