Old 06-12-2018, 11:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 354 Times in 167 Posts

So the Rat is advertised as "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." And people here are generally saying that non base plastic Zones are definitely more overstable than the Rat.

So how would the Rat compare to a Star Big Bead Aviar Driver? (Looking for opinions here and not just trusting what the inflight guide says.)

I bag an ESP Zone and Star BB Aviar. I'm not looking for new molds, but the Rat could be interesting. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Jimb; 06-12-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I'd say the Pig is probably "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." It has a thumbtrack, but no bead. I haven't thrown a Rat, but judging from other people's comments on here, it doesn't seem nearly as overstable as a Pig.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:10 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,181 Times in 1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
So the Rat is advertised as "the most overstable beadless putter from Innova." And people here are generally saying that non base plastic Zones are definitely more overstable than the Rat.

So how would the Rat compare to a Star Big Bead Aviar Driver? (Looking for opinions here and not just trusting what the inflight guide says.)

I bag an ESP Zone and Star BB Aviar. I'm not looking for new molds, but the Rat could be interesting. Thanks.
I thought it was the AviarX3 that was advertised as the most overstable beadless putter from Innova. The Rat is more of a mid, as well. I agree with those that say the Zone is more OS than the Rat.

I have a Star BB Aviar, but I haven't thrown it in a long time. I'll have to dig it out and make comparison throws with the Rat and see how they do...

Edited to add: I haven't thrown a Pig, but from what I've read, I'd agree with hugheshilton that the Pig is more overstable than the Rat.

Niced: (2)

Last edited by SD86; 06-13-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:22 AM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 764 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I thought it was the AviarX3 that was advertised as the most overstable beadless putter from Innova. The Rat is more of a mid, as well. I agree with those that say the Zone is more OS than the Rat.

I have a Star BB Aviar, but I haven't thrown it in a long time. I'll have to dig it out and make comparison throws with the Rat and see how they do...

Edited to add: I haven't thrown a Pig, but from what I've read, I'd agree with hugheshilton that the Pig is more overstable than the Rat.
Pig is as overstable as a Zone or fairly close to it but slower. The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno. I do not know how the Star and G Star Rhyno fly so I can't comment on those models.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-13-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:28 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 308 Times in 176 Posts

I've been throwing a GStar Aviar Driver(big bead mold) since I started playing disc golf. I wouldn't call it overstable. The fade is pretty mild, and it will turn a little- or a lot into a headwind. The Pig is a good step up in stability. I'd call it a slower Mortar- maybe a little less overstable, but that might just be because it's slower? I really like the Pig, and would probably own one if they were available in anything other than R-Pro without paying the shipping from the factory store. The only Zone I've thrown was a Jawbreaker, which wasn't really all that overstable- and it was brand new. I'd say it was similar to the Pig/Mortar.

Haven't thrown a Rat, but they feel nice. My guess would be similar to the Pig. I'd be shocked if it weren't noticeably beefier than a big bead Aviar.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:31 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Pig is as overstable as a Zone or fairly close to it but slower. The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno. I do not know how the Star and G Star Rhyno fly so I can't comment on those models.
I've never tried a Pig, and maybe I should just to see what all the fun is about. I have a Champ Rhyno. It's a good mold, pretty accurate on approaches, and fairly overstable though not as much as I originally expected it to be. I settled on the Polecat as my approach disc, but the Rhyno gets use in my alternate bag on a short wooded course in my home county.

So many good discs, so little time...
Old 06-13-2018, 01:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
I've never tried a Pig, and maybe I should just to see what all the fun is about. I have a Champ Rhyno. It's a good mold, pretty accurate on approaches, and fairly overstable though not as much as I originally expected it to be. I settled on the Polecat as my approach disc, but the Rhyno gets use in my alternate bag on a short wooded course in my home county.

So many good discs, so little time...
I don't think you need to waste your time on the Pig honestly, SD86. I love Pigs, but I also love baseline plastic and don't mind buying from the Innova Factory Store occasionally to get stiff Pro Pigs. Given that you don't like baseline or the Factory Store, I don't think the Pig is the mold for you. There are plenty of good overstable approach putters in premium plastic out there. I've tried the Blizzard Champion Pigs as well, and they really are not the same disc. I know there are a few people who like them, but they just feel and fly differently enough that they're not going to really give you an idea of why people love regular Pigs.

To me, one of the big virtues of the Pig (vs say a Zone, Mortar, Gator, etc.) is that they tend to hit and stick more. You don't have to play for a big skip like you do with a Zone (and hope that wet grass or a tree root don't eat your skip). I'd guess that is mainly due to the Pig's baseline plastic; other than that, it flies similarly to a Zone, although maybe a tad slower.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 107
Niced 354 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:

Oops! Thanks.

Guess I need to watch more dg videos to quote the Innova ads properly.

Thanks, everyone.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 105 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
The newer runs of Champion Rhyno on the other hand might not be as overstable but it is a better wind fighter then a R-Pro or Pro Pig simply due to having a pronounced lack of glide to the DX or R-Pro/Pro Rhyno.

Utter nonsense, allow me to paraphrase "the champ has less glide than the pro in a Rhyno therefore its better than a Pig". This is horribly flawed logic. Pigs are just fine as wind fighters... back to Rats and Zones please

Last edited by HERB brooks; 06-13-2018 at 12:07 PM.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I don't think you need to waste your time on the Pig honestly, SD86. I love Pigs, but I also love baseline plastic and don't mind buying from the Innova Factory Store occasionally to get stiff Pro Pigs. Given that you don't like baseline or the Factory Store, I don't think the Pig is the mold for you. There are plenty of good overstable approach putters in premium plastic out there. I've tried the Blizzard Champion Pigs as well, and they really are not the same disc. I know there are a few people who like them, but they just feel and fly differently enough that they're not going to really give you an idea of why people love regular Pigs.

To me, one of the big virtues of the Pig (vs say a Zone, Mortar, Gator, etc.) is that they tend to hit and stick more. You don't have to play for a big skip like you do with a Zone (and hope that wet grass or a tree root don't eat your skip). I'd guess that is mainly due to the Pig's baseline plastic; other than that, it flies similarly to a Zone, although maybe a tad slower.
In fairness, I don't dislike base plastics, I just prefer premium plastic in all but my putting putters. I'd throw DX Polecats if the Champ ones didn't exist.

Having said that, you're probably right that I would not bag a Pig, as I'm pretty happy with what I'm using now (especially if the Deputy works out). But I might still try a Pig to see what all the talk is about. After all, I tried the Polecat based on discussions on these boards, so we'll what happens.