Old 08-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 65 Times in 44 Posts
Default Kids starter pack suggestions?

My 8 and 7 year old niece and nephew are enjoying watching/ playing with me when i do disc golf. They want their own sets for birthdays/christmas any suggestions. Innova has a set with a bag personally i like the look of Dynamic Disks starter set https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic...Bag-p/6801.htm
it also comes with a bag which of course is a big must have for them so any suggestions? The 8 year old niece was throwing putters in the back field with me and i'm worried she will surpass my own skills soon. She's super sporty. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 05:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,753 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
My 8 and 7 year old niece and nephew are enjoying watching/ playing with me when i do disc golf. They want their own sets for birthdays/christmas any suggestions. Innova has a set with a bag personally i like the look of Dynamic Disks starter set https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic...Bag-p/6801.htm
it also comes with a bag which of course is a big must have for them so any suggestions? The 8 year old niece was throwing putters in the back field with me and i'm worried she will surpass my own skills soon. She's super sporty. Thanks for the help.
While the sets with the bag are appealing, the drawback is that you don't get to select the discs' weights. For a 7 and 8 year old, you really want to start them with lighter weights (150-160 or less ideally). Probably better to find a putter and mid-range in a lighter weight (brand not important) and not worry about a bag until they amass more than a couple discs.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
While the sets with the bag are appealing, the drawback is that you don't get to select the discs' weights. For a 7 and 8 year old, you really want to start them with lighter weights (150-160 or less ideally). Probably better to find a putter and mid-range in a lighter weight (brand not important) and not worry about a bag until they amass more than a couple discs.
hmm ok i have been looking at the lightning bags and they are super cheap any suggestions about a putter and mid? maybe https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic...Set-p/6837.htm plus i get reward points from them (their uncle is cheap)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,753 Times in 1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docxen View Post
hmm ok i have been looking at the lightning bags and they are super cheap any suggestions about a putter and mid? maybe https://www.dynamicdiscs.com/Dynamic...Set-p/6837.htm plus i get reward points from them (their uncle is cheap)
Yes, if you want to get a set rather than individual discs, you can't do much better than that starter set. The Breakout, Proof, and Gavel are light-weight and understable for an easier learning curve for that age.

And if you want a bag (and more reward points), you can add the Cadet to your cart with the Easy-to-Throw set for the exact same price as you were looking at for the first set that included the bag.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Yes, if you want to get a set rather than individual discs, you can't do much better than that starter set. The Breakout, Proof, and Gavel are light-weight and understable for an easier learning curve for that age.

And if you want a bag (and more reward points), you can add the Cadet to your cart with the Easy-to-Throw set for the exact same price as you were looking at for the first set that included the bag.
i was noticing that and they can pick their colors thanks so much man you guys are so awesome to us newbs
Old 08-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 109 Times in 59 Posts

Nothing wrong with that Dynamic set, but Lightning discs are perfect for this. They're pretty much the cheapest golf discs available, they come in low weights, they fly just fine, and the marbled-plastic ones look cool. Get the kiddos each an Upshot and a couple of understable mids/drivers (all the Lightning drivers are fairways with the exception of the MX-1, which everyone should avoid). If you get them on eBay you can choose specific discs, so you know exactly what weight and color you're getting.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

light is right! lightest starter pack you can find.....
Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 46.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 71 Times in 42 Posts

One of my favorite discs for new players is the 150g Inova Aero. Rumor has them OOP but they can still be found. As for the Lightning starter bag, at $5 it's well worth it. I keep one in my work truck.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,461 Times in 1,513 Posts

I concur with, go with light discs, and buy them individually. Frankly, for smaller kids starting out, the disc selection won't make a great deal of difference, as long as you don't get something extremely overstable or wide-rimmed.

Innova makes some extremely light kids' discs (under 150g; I've seen them as low as 95g, though I'd suggest around 130g), and blizzard discs in both 137g and 157g ranges. Plus, the kids might like the artwork on the DX discs.

But other manufacturers make light discs, too, and cool plastics. Just go with neutral to understable, and not too fast. Not too many, either.

With the thought that, for a putter, get something with a shallower rim (for small hands).

Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 764 Times in 533 Posts

Yup the kids like dx for the picture.. Too bad the cool robot and gangster are on two of the harder molds to throw.

I recommend a 150 wedge often... shallowish putter but works as a mid too... get a 150 leopard and you are set... nothing wrong with lightning discs either....

Niced: (1)