Old 03-05-2019, 11:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Paige had a better 4th round. However, she pulled 2 drives OB in the first 4 holes. The gal who won didn't back down a bit and made zero mistakes late. Paige just couldn't quite catch up.

I won't say Paige tore it up 4th round, but she at least held steady and (other than the 2 OB drives) wasn't giving strokes away mindlessly.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 12:22 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 99 Times in 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
Paige had a better 4th round. However, she pulled 2 drives OB in the first 4 holes. The gal who won didn't back down a bit and made zero mistakes late. Paige just couldn't quite catch up.

I won't say Paige tore it up 4th round, but she at least held steady and (other than the 2 OB drives) wasn't giving strokes away mindlessly.
I disagree, there was a point during live coverage, I can't remember the hole 13, or 14 maybe.... anyway it's a long par 4. Paige is last on the box (because she had just run an upshot past the basket into OB water). The other three women had thrown ~350 easy hyzer drives to a landing zone that allows for an straightforward upshot for a birdie 3. Paige walks to the tee with 2 discs, and nate doss is saying "you shouldn't be thinking about what to throw here, its the same shot you have thrown for years". She tries to crush a drive knowing she can throw 100' past the other women and needing strokes, and hits an early inside tree dropping her well short of the other three.

The point here is, she gains absolutely nothing by attempting to crush that drive. Yes, she needs strokes, so it is a time to start taking risks, but not unnecessary ones. There is almost zero chance of eagle for her on that hole, even if she throws a 550 foot drive (This might have been the same hole that Simon crushed a drive over everything and had a long eagle jump putt) the best she can do is birdie. For some reason she equates the best shot with the longest shot, and wants to throw the furthest just because she can.

It is the same with running an upshot with an elevated basket with water behind it with 8 holes to go. The risk of a certain OB stroke should negate the slim chance of the benefit of a throw in birdie. But it does not seem to.

I don't really think it will change, which is fine, if she is cool with it. It just seems like she has enough tournament experience that if she were going to learn it she would have by now.

IMO

Niced: (2)
Old 03-05-2019, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,739 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
ok.. you're probably onto something there. Perhaps there is clauses in her contract that yields a financial bonus worth while to not have to take 1st place all the time in order to make a living. I read earlier several pros have media bonuses and I didn't think of that. It's just so anti climatic for her to have all this obvious skill and then not also get the win. I think there could be some compromise for her on the course, knowing when to go for the highlight reel shot while also keeping an eye on the w.
I think this is awfully presumptuous to think that she's going for the "highlight reel" shot at the expense of trying to win. No way is that the case. She's trying to win, not put on a show. It just so happens that the way she goes about trying to win is aggressive and risky and, surprise surprise, can back fire on her on occasion.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 691 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosenmatrix View Post
I disagree, there was a point during live coverage, I can't remember the hole 13, or 14 maybe.... anyway it's a long par 4. Paige is last on the box (because she had just run an upshot past the basket into OB water). The other three women had thrown ~350 easy hyzer drives to a landing zone that allows for an straightforward upshot for a birdie 3. Paige walks to the tee with 2 discs, and nate doss is saying "you shouldn't be thinking about what to throw here, its the same shot you have thrown for years". She tries to crush a drive knowing she can throw 100' past the other women and needing strokes, and hits an early inside tree dropping her well short of the other three.

The point here is, she gains absolutely nothing by attempting to crush that drive. Yes, she needs strokes, so it is a time to start taking risks, but not unnecessary ones. There is almost zero chance of eagle for her on that hole, even if she throws a 550 foot drive (This might have been the same hole that Simon crushed a drive over everything and had a long eagle jump putt) the best she can do is birdie. For some reason she equates the best shot with the longest shot, and wants to throw the furthest just because she can.

It is the same with running an upshot with an elevated basket with water behind it with 8 holes to go. The risk of a certain OB stroke should negate the slim chance of the benefit of a throw in birdie. But it does not seem to.

I don't really think it will change, which is fine, if she is cool with it. It just seems like she has enough tournament experience that if she were going to learn it she would have by now.

IMO
OK, you're right. I do remember that drive into the tree late in the round. I agree that if its a shot she's done for years it shouldn't really be a debate as to which disc to bring to the tee. She did also chunk an upshot past the basket and into the water on (I think) the 2nd to last hole.

IF she can start keeping the drives in play (not necessarily bombing them 400') and be more consistent putting, she should start beating the other women by a lot...

Paige's style is just different than a lot of the other women. She plays with more energy and looks like she's having fun regardless if she's bombing drives OB or missing putts. I can't necessarily defend her wild/reckless style of play, but I have a feeling she isn't going to start dramatically changing things.

I guess we have to remember, her wild/inconsistent 4 days on the course were still good enough to tie for 2nd. Any other woman throws that many errant shots and they'd be toward the back of the pack.

If anything I thought she played worse in Vegas than AZ. Vegas had a way more open course too.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.5
Courses Played: 365
Niced 1,692 Times in 832 Posts

But, but, Paige played above her rating, right? Isn't that good?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 511 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve West View Post
But, but, Paige played above her rating, right? Isn't that good?
So ... if the measure is maximum number of OB throws while playing above your rating, then Pierce hasn't peaked?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 38 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
So ... if the measure is maximum number of OB throws while playing above your rating, then Pierce hasn't peaked?
I'd argue with her game she should be shooting much lower scores on these courses. If she played nothing but fountain hill all year she would probably be a higher rated golfer.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 148
Niced 38 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
I'd argue with her game she should be shooting much lower scores on these courses. If she played nothing but fountain hill all year she would probably be a higher rated golfer.

I meant this as a response to Steve. Whoops
Old 03-08-2019, 01:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,318 Times in 2,286 Posts

Towards the end they are practicing 18 at Vista...

Old 03-09-2019, 01:55 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
watching somebody throw OB a bunch is not exciting to me, but you do you
That's why those open courses with artificial OB and raised baskets are so stupid...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
When you play smart disc golf and execute all your shots, it can get pretty boring. When you take chances and get bit some of the time, it's called entertainment. Disc golf needs to be entertaining. It's not very good for a player personally to be throwing away 1st place checks with over-aggressive play, but it's very good entertainment for disc golf as a whole.
Oh yes, I rather watch Simon go crazy sometimes instead of Eagle playing "smart and safe". It obviously pays off for Eagle since he is winning more money that way, but he became quite boring to watch. Very boring.