Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Tournaments & Leagues

Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 35.9
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 77 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
It's like you guys purposely misread JV's explanation so you can act outraged.
Actually not at all. There was zero remorse in his posts. No mention that maybe the cameraman shouldn't be that close to players in the first place. It all read that the player was wrong and the cameraman correct which I do not agree with. I agree the player overreacted but i know I always swat at bugs reflexively that fly in my face. Position him to the right of the tee, behind the tee, just somewhere other than inches from the players. The cameraman should not be in the same area as the players as they prepare to throw in the first place . Showing disrespect to the players by doing so is a much greater offense than this reactionary action by the player and cameraman positions need to be looked at carefully by the PDGA. If the director won't do it, someone needs to. Respect for the players will enhance coverage and not diminish it.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,196 Times in 556 Posts

Hammes loves to talk crap as well guys.

I played with him years ago on a card and I shanked one off the tee on a long tunnel shot and he said: "oh that's going to be a 6."

I ended up saving Par, but the kid didn't show much restraint the rest of the round, to the point of me having to warn him.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Niced 1,196 Times in 556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
Actually not at all. There was zero remorse in his posts. No mention that maybe the cameraman shouldn't be that close to players in the first place. It all read that the player was wrong and the cameraman correct which I do not agree with. I agree the player overreacted but i know I always swat at bugs reflexively that fly in my face. Position him to the right of the tee, behind the tee, just somewhere other than inches from the players. The cameraman should not be in the same area as the players as they prepare to throw in the first place . Showing disrespect to the players by doing so is a much greater offense than this reactionary action by the player and cameraman positions need to be looked at carefully by the PDGA. If the director won't do it, someone needs to. Respect for the players will enhance coverage and not diminish it.

Ok bud, cool take.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:05 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,410 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Gotta say, the course was pretty boring. Without OB, total snooze fest. Now many holes look like virtual holes only, in the wide open, hit short grass youre golden. The play however was anything but boring.
There was a spot on the lead card commentary where they basically said "Oh, no. That's headed for the middle of the fairway." They couldn't even pretend that there was any sort of challenge to the hole.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Niced 605 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post

I looked up the post you referred to. I take this "talking crap" as friendly banter. If it was some sort of awkward razzing from the camera man Simon's sentiment would of reflected that. Adam was obviously genuinely pissed in that moment, and that happens. Terry is partially to blame, but his reaction was to that single encounter. Like us, he wasn't on the card and lacked context. When you read Simon's post it really brings everything down to earth and makes you realize how silly the internet gets.
Did you see Adam Hammes' post after that round? Nothing about his post made it seem friendly at all. He calls out the cameraman's lack of professionalism.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 121
Niced 65 Times in 24 Posts

Just curious, what did people think about this course back in 2014? Was it considered Worlds-caliber then? I was pretty excited to watch this tournament to see the course, and came out of it really disappointed.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,690 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Just curious, what did people think about this course back in 2014? Was it considered Worlds-caliber then? I was pretty excited to watch this tournament to see the course, and came out of it really disappointed.
To be fair, "Worlds caliber" meant something different in 2014 than it does now because Worlds had a different format and different criteria for hosting back then. But yes, it was considered championship caliber then. It was the featured course where the final rounds were played. At over 10000 feet and par 66 (SSA around 63 for 2/3 rounds), not sure why it shouldn't still be considered as such.

Just because it doesn't come across well on video doesn't mean it's not a very good course for this level of tournament.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:38 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,857 Times in 441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
I have no remorse with this, nor was I trying to hide anything. No remorse because I don't feel the cameraman did anything wrong being in the position he was on that hole. As Ian said, it is a very tight teeing area and everyone was bunched up. The cameraman is a golfer as well and if he was in a bad position for a player they should have and COULD have asked him to move.

As far as the "crap talking", I was unaware of any communication between the two guys before the incident. But I do know that they know each other, and I don't know how close their relationship is. But it sure sounds like it was a back and forth and not just a one way deal according to Simon.

Did Terry make a bigger deal than it needed to be? Maybe. But Terry also knows Hammes (we are all from WI) and Hammes has a reputation already locally. So maybe that played into it a bit as well. But I do know that he didn't make a deal of it to drum up drama.

At this point, I am mostly done with this topic. It has already been more distracting to a really great event and finish than it needed to be. And I don't think there is any more info that I can add that I haven't already.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 52
Niced 4,289 Times in 2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
To be fair, "Worlds caliber" meant something different in 2014 than it does now because Worlds had a different format and different criteria for hosting back then. But yes, it was considered championship caliber then. It was the featured course where the final rounds were played. At over 10000 feet and par 66 (SSA around 63 for 2/3 rounds), not sure why it shouldn't still be considered as such.

Just because it doesn't come across well on video doesn't mean it's not a very good course for this level of tournament.
Probably doesn't help that there was pretty much zero wind for Sunday and Monday. That would have added some drama, imo

Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,690 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Probably doesn't help that there was pretty much zero wind for Sunday and Monday. That would have added some drama, imo
Probably. I don't know if it was the rain on Saturday or the lack of wind the last two days, but there was a three throw difference in the ratings for round 1 versus the last two rounds. SSA for round 1 was 66, but for the other two, it was a hair over 63. But either way, an SSA over 60 suggests to me that it's a high caliber course.