Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzle34 View Post
Putted for an hour and a half before league yesterday and it translated well to my round. Definitely figured out I am a hybrid putter after messing around with pure push putting and pure spin putting. I lean more on the spin which I think causes some of my inconsistency. I also worked on a tightening my grip which seemed to clean up some of the timing and release issues. Practice practice practice will be my key.
I am hybrid putter too, for all putts now and not just 50/50 from about 20-22 feet and back. It is easier though sometimes in putts closer then 10 feet or so I am push putting if I keep going high with a hybrid putt. Also have a from the chest spin only putt for winds roughly over 20 mph to roughly 30 mph but not more then 35 mph in gusts, steady at roughly over 30 mph and I switch to my Shark discs that I use as my windy putter, as well as driving putter slot, and approach disc. For my hybrid putt I use my non throwing hand as a tracking guide for all puts about 6-10 feet and out so I do not honker hyzer my putts. Sometimes though when I get in a rush with my putt I hyzer because the non throwing hand is not approximately level and is obviously lower then the throwing hand. I aim for the edge side of the basket pole the throwing hand is, wind affects the chains moving as does the last guy to putt so I find using a single chain link set a bad idea.

Last edited by Casey 1988; 06-05-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 756 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Putted for an hour and a half before league yesterday and it translated well to my round. Definitely figured out I am a hybrid putter after messing around with pure push putting and pure spin putting. I lean more on the spin which I think causes some of my inconsistency. I also worked on a tightening my grip which seemed to clean up some of the timing and release issues. Practice practice practice will be my key.
In reagards to grip I saw on Scott Stokely's YouTube in a quick tip video that the grip should have in non turbo putts both styles or flick/sidearm putts the palm firm to the edge of the disc but not to the point that you are mashing into the edge with the palm.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 421 Times in 257 Posts

Quote:
Well I am bringing this thread back from the dead. I am still struggling with putting. I may be the only person on the planet that can spend almost an hour per night putting in my back yard and actually get WORSE. It seems that from set to set I can go from making everything to missing everything. I don't feel like my hand/grip communicates with my brain very well. From one putt to the next I can go from painting the center pole to winging wide right then early releasing inside left. I have found lately that my thumb seems to be slipping toward my palm as I transition from the pull down to the throw. Never in my life have I struggled to get a physical task done. I am 996 rated and still putt like I am 940 rated. Still averaging 2-4 "misses" per round on putts I "should" make. Help. Anybody. Help.
Put three different putter molds in your bag, preferably ones that feel entirely different from each other. Grab one at random each hole. It will feel weird because you have no consistency in hand feel...and that's the point. Your brain will be so focused on feel that it won't be focused on your actual putting stroke, which you've no doubt replicated a billion times by now. You likely just need to get your brain out of the way, and the best way to do that is to get it focused on something else.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Eagle Member

I used to do this sort of thing with ball golf. I had different clubs with different grips, would flip flop between wearing a glove or not, etc. Point being if I was thinking about my grip on my club then my brain was too preoccupied to dick up my actual swing. But I'm a tad neurotic, so.....
Old 06-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 56 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
I used to do this sort of thing with ball golf. I had different clubs with different grips, would flip flop between wearing a glove or not, etc. Point being if I was thinking about my grip on my club then my brain was too preoccupied to dick up my actual swing. But I'm a tad neurotic, so.....
Interesting that you say that because I actually use two different molds in my stack of 7 practice putters at home. 3 of them are beaded P1x and 4 of them are beadless P2. I also have 3 different types of plastic in the stack so basically each disc I throw feels entirely different. I do know that it has given me more confidence in putting because I know irregardless of the disc I can probably put it in the basket. Yesterday I was reading about having your wrist more "cocked" as to produce more spin more consistently. I tried it out and it did seem to have an immediate effect on spin and release. Gonna keep working that. I also gotta like chain myself to my basket at 15'-20' because I catch myself wandering back to 30', 40', and 50' way too regularly. It is just so much fun to chuck long putts to me

Niced: (1)
Old 06-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Interesting that you say that because I actually use two different molds in my stack of 7 practice putters at home. 3 of them are beaded P1x and 4 of them are beadless P2. I also have 3 different types of plastic in the stack so basically each disc I throw feels entirely different. I do know that it has given me more confidence in putting because I know irregardless of the disc I can probably put it in the basket. Yesterday I was reading about having your wrist more "cocked" as to produce more spin more consistently. I tried it out and it did seem to have an immediate effect on spin and release. Gonna keep working that. I also gotta like chain myself to my basket at 15'-20' because I catch myself wandering back to 30', 40', and 50' way too regularly. It is just so much fun to chuck long putts to me
Your practicing sounds similar to mine. I actually get a measuring tape out and mark 15', 20', and 25' and force myself to practice those a ton. Because yeah, it is way more fun to drain a couple 50 footers than it is to sink 10 straight from 20'. And yet, the ability to be automatic from 20' is more valuable.

Agree with the forceful wrist cock technique for spush putting too. Drive hard off the back foot, paint the pole, and forcefully unload the wrist. If I can do all three, I'm typically putting pretty good.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:53 AM

Niced 9 Times in 9 Posts

When I can feel my putts working, I usually throw around 950. So just maybe I can give some tips.

1. Don't pause on the downswing

2. Use fingers

3. Think about your releasepoint. Like really think about it and aim accordingly. You can also think about it as having your fingers pointed at the pole after the release.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 554 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoseDownKing View Post
1. Don't pause on the downswing
Is this good advice? I feel like the best putting motion is a continuous motion from bottom to top. I feel like stopping entirely at the bottom and restarting the swing can help to keep the continuous motion going. It seems to me that the putting "hitch" comes from mistiming the transition from downswing to upswing.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 493 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicGuy View Post
Is this good advice? I feel like the best putting motion is a continuous motion from bottom to top. I feel like stopping entirely at the bottom and restarting the swing can help to keep the continuous motion going. It seems to me that the putting "hitch" comes from mistiming the transition from downswing to upswing.
Might be a personal preference thing as so much of putting is. I've tried both recently and in practice i've had good luck with the downswing and upswing being two completely different and separate movements, as if the downswing is really just loading the spring... hold... then upswing. I feel it just goes against the fundamentals of an athletic movement. A slow transition is one thing but a hard stop between the down and up I think is bad.