Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

View Poll Results: Which disc is your longest bomber?
Raider 1 6.25%
Destroyer 2 12.50%
Shryke 9 56.25%
Sheriff 1 6.25%
Zeus 0 0%
Boss 2 12.50%
Colossus 0 0%
Katana 1 6.25%
Ballista 0 0%
Captain 0 0%
Nuke 1 6.25%
Crank 0 0%
Tern 1 6.25%
Havoc 1 6.25%
Other, list 1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
If you want that flight pattern, then you're probably looking at the Shryke.

Side note: take those Bio Trespasses to the range (schoolyard or wherever you practice), and throw them a lot. One-disc rounds with them in the woods. That will help season them in, which they WILL do, and fairly quickly, with lots of use.
I should take them with and just throw 2nd drives with them and TRY to hit trees...I will probably miss them though if I'm trying
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 687 Times in 542 Posts

Of the two, I prefer the Shryke. Sheriffs and Shrykes have a similar flight, but I feel like Shrykes flex out better and have a more gradual (less dumpy) fade than a Sheriff. Plus, Sheriffs are all over the place on stability. I've seen super flippy ones, and really beefy ones.

In a battle for all out distance I'd take the Shryke every time, especially in G* or star. The Shryke simply glides better than the Sheriff.

Frankly, I think the Captain is closer to a Shryke than a Sheriff is.

A Shryke is definitely a good choice if you want a less stable Raider. Shrykes will very easily cover 450', but you'll need to hyzerflip it. I don't use Shrykes for pinpoint accuracy, but for all out open distance bombing I still haven't found anything better.

Star is my favorite plastic to throw Shrykes in. I feel like the mold flies best in that plastic. Massive glide and distance.

Last edited by Twmccoy; 08-05-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontpx View Post
I have 2 Bio Trespasses and they are both pretty beefy. They are almost as stable as my Bio Defenders, thus I put them in my backup bag/pile

Ideally I am looking for a 12-13 speed that flies | 6 | -2 | 3 | ... maybe not right off the shelf but close
A star or champion Shryke will have that flight. If you want the heavier fade, get a champion. If you get a Shryke, get a domey one. Flat Shrykes tend to be somewhat glideless and much shorter than domey ones.

G* Shrykes are probably the longest I know of, but they're more like 13, 6, -3, 1. They have a really mellow late fade. They're also prone to flipping erratically at times. Star or champion Shrykes are more consistent (less flippy).

Old 08-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post

A Shryke is definitely a good choice if you want a less stable Raider. Shrykes will very easily cover 450', but you'll need to hyzerflip it. I don't use Shrykes for pinpoint accuracy, but for all out open distance bombing I still haven't found anything better.

Star is my favorite plastic to throw Shrykes in. I feel like the mold flies best in that plastic. Massive glide and distance.
Yes that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Something I can SMASH on an open/semi open hole. Hyzerflip with a fair amount of right turn and just glide for days before fading back reliably.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Yes that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Something I can SMASH on an open/semi open hole. Hyzerflip with a fair amount of right turn and just glide for days before fading back reliably.
You need a star Shryke. Find a domey one 170g+ and you'll love it.

Other than the Tern, I can't even think of another long distance driver mold with as much easy glide as the Shryke.... and I've thrown pretty much all of them. Terns are just a little flakier than Shrykes, and will often flip without coming back.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
You need a star Shryke. Find a domey one 170g+ and you'll love it.

Other than the Tern, I can't even think of another long distance driver mold with as much easy glide as the Shryke.... and I've thrown pretty much all of them. Terns are just a little flakier than Shrykes, and will often flip without coming back.
Unreliably flippy is what I am currently dealing with (Fuzion Sheriff)...not like crazy flippy, but sometimes on a flat release it just goes right way too much.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Unreliably flippy is what I am currently dealing with (Fuzion Sheriff)...not like crazy flippy, but sometimes on a flat release it just goes right way too much.
Yeah I can't throw Sheriffs flat...either hyzer flip them to get a reasonably controlled line that fades back, or throw them higher and expect them to glide way over and fight out at the end.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 27
Niced 423 Times in 259 Posts

Count me as one more vote for the Shryke to fill the "beat Raider" slot. That's exactly the combo I'm throwing right now and they complement each other really well. I took to the Raider immediately...Shryke took a little longer to dial in. I'm throwing both really well now.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 29 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Ideally I am looking for a 12-13 speed that flies | 6 | -2 | 3 | ... maybe not right off the shelf but close
Another disc that can have similar numbers to those last would be Opto or recycled Gladiators. Nice and fast, Recycled ones develop quite a bit of turn, while 170g optos for me are about [-1, 3] fresh on a flat release. I have several that are beat in to almost -2 turn but still a healthy fade.

The Gladiator is my favorite distance driver trilogy has released to date.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHaavisto View Post
Another disc that can have similar numbers to those last would be Opto or recycled Gladiators. Nice and fast, Recycled ones develop quite a bit of turn, while 170g optos for me are about [-1, 3] fresh on a flat release. I have several that are beat in to almost -2 turn but still a healthy fade.

The Gladiator is my favorite distance driver trilogy has released to date.
If the Zeus, Shryke, and Gstar Destroyer isn't quite it, the Gladiator is next on the list! Anyone else have any suggestions?? What are you bombing 450'+ these days?? And don't say anything Prodigy or Discmania (Letters and numbers for disc names is lame!)