Old 08-06-2019, 02:51 PM
Par Member

Niced 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post
Evening,

Not posting as often, but still putting in consistent work. Trying to save myself a few red/yellow lines before putting up clips

Copying two videos. The past 60 days clips represents what my form is/was for the past few months. The Right Direction clip is after tweaking a few things and focusing on different aspects of my throw. Felt much less “whippy” than how it’ normally feels.

I’m still not there...but for what it’s worth, this has by far been my most enjoyable summer throwing. 350’ is my max, but with most courses I play in that distance range I keep up with just about anyone these days. So appreciative of everyone’s help.

Hey there Jet! I've been following along with your thread for awhile now and have to say... from where you started to this latest video is SUPER IMPRESSIVE man! No offense (as we all struggle as beginners), but I thought you'd never really "get" there. The balance, the odd body movements that didn't look smooth. It just looked like it was never going to work. And yet I have seen you constantly on here, posting more video and practicing like a maniac and your form is SOOO much better and I'm jealous man! You aren't all the way there yet, but you are well on your way to having a GREAT throw man!!! Very impressed with your amazing dedication and progress even when things seemed down and like they'd never change. I'm a little earlier on in the process from you, and hopefully by the end of this year or so, I'll be cleaning up my form and see results like you are now! Congrats on all the hard work and progress, super impressed man!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post

With the left arm, your hand is in front of the thigh and the arm is in close, but maybe try getting your left elbow to your hip or in front of the hip by an inch or so. So that the arm is in front of the body to help anchor the shot. I still don't understand what a perfect off arm does since there are a few different versions of it, but I think your upper arm/elbow are behind your spine and hip and slowing you down and pulling away from you during the throw. Instead of being forward and then used as leverage as the blocking/swim move to release your right arm.
Good stuff SP, I'll adjust the off arm a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWookie View Post
Hey there Jet! I've been following along with your thread for awhile now and have to say... from where you started to this latest video is SUPER IMPRESSIVE man...Congrats on all the hard work and progress, super impressed man!
Mannnnnn this was a really kind message to come back to the office to. Thank you, seriously. I had know idea the can of worms I was opening last year; needless to say, as the months went on, I slowly began to realize how challenging my goal of 500' was going to be.

Eventually I simply had to abandon any/all ego I once had, and learn to be okay with looking absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what percentage of people actually make it to the 500' goal after beginning a journey like this, but whatever the percent is, I suspect I'll be in the top 1/3 of longest time it takes to get there.

One more clip today; this GIF is the same hammer toss from earlier, just SBS with SW. There is a glaring difference between SW's transition move and mine. SW appears to actually raise up a bit on his rear leg, and then drop onto his lead leg. In contrast, although I move laterally, I slide/squish into my lead leg.

Thank you again SuperWookie for the positive message, and thank you to SP and SW for staying with me all these months.

Niced: (2)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

The biggest thing I see in that side by side is that SW is using his hips to really anchor the shot. You can see how they almost stay in place and nearly rotate away...it's pulling his body and it looks like he hasn't done a thing with his arm yet. It makes me feel/visualize how my own FH feels, like my butt gets my body into a place where I have leverage to add my arm through the hit to keep pulling on the disc. In comparison you have a bit more lateral forward movement and rotation turning forward...you likely are turning faster leading into the power pocket but won't have as much leverage through the arm extension.

Both of you move laterally toward the plant though, I'm just meaning that after SW has his weight settled his hips are used as leverage.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,825 Times in 1,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet57 View Post
There is a glaring difference between SW's transition move and mine. SW appears to actually raise up a bit on his rear leg, and then drop onto his lead leg. In contrast, although I move laterally, I slide/squish into my lead leg.
Yep, you need to rise/extend legs/get taller in the backswing - upright on rear leg, to swivel your butt targetward and drop in transition upright onto front leg and mirror backswing forward to tall upright finish on front leg.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D4_tDZjX1w&t=2m50s
Old 08-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Par Member

Niced 26 Times in 21 Posts

Yo. Feel like the majority of my current issues can be summarized in this one still frame. The SBS is the first frame after the hammer leaves the hand of SW and me.
I'm ridiculously over my toes, my heel is pointing away from the target, and 90% of my butt can be seen

I am feeling better about my swing plane/pendulum, but until I correct my shift/hips/stack...it will continue to look/feel off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBS Hammer toss.jpg (56.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

I added the orange line. I think this shows how SW has his spine centered so his shoulders can trade places, whereas you have your right shoulder blocked to the right foot so it is the axis and stays put.

I'm trying to be conscious of this for myself right now too, I don't "block" the shoulder as bad as you do anymore...I used to for sure. But I don't have my body turning more centered, which will give the shoulder a longer path and sling the arm from my core instead of having the arm just open from the shoulder, in feel anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SBS Hammer toss.jpg (100.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

I think you should start a new thread: "The quest for 400" or something similar, because the title of this thread is about 50ft or so behind you now. Congrats! I wish my form looked as good as yours on video.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:55 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

I'm interested with SPlastic & Swinder (the S bro's) thoughts on using the pre-swing (pre-backswing) to open the shoulders forward, which seems to really help the timing of the "elephant walk". It seems like it adds a physical cue.

I use one now with my x-step and it seems to reinforce just the right amount of lag and takes out any interest in a sloshing forward motion.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
I'm interested with SPlastic & Swinder (the S bro's) thoughts on using the pre-swing (pre-backswing) to open the shoulders forward, which seems to really help the timing of the "elephant walk". It seems like it adds a physical cue.

I use one now with my x-step and it seems to reinforce just the right amount of lag and takes out any interest in a sloshing forward motion.
You mean pre-swing to the hit and work back?

Old 08-09-2019, 05:12 PM
* Ace Member *

RandyC and I were talking about how people try to get or to maintain these imaginary positions and planes that don’t exist and really sabotages progress. I always see people trying to start at the static right pec position and it doesn’t exist in the dynamic swing. If you watch my “standstill” throws I’m shifting back and forth and swinging my arm disc constantly to settle everything dynamically to where I want to toss the weight of the swing.