#451  
Old 10-11-2019, 03:37 PM
uncle pennybags uncle pennybags is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 376
Niced 130 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think that is more about the asinine rule that the first player keeps throwing when faced with a re-throw instead of each player teeing off and then those that need to re-throw going again. Not so much the selection of the first hole of the playoff.

I've never agreed with the idea of the thrower holding the box until he's in-bounds.
Is that actually a rule? Around my parts if you throw out re-tee's happen after all the initial tee shots. And you keep rotating through the box until everyone is good.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 10-11-2019, 03:55 PM
krupicka's Avatar
krupicka krupicka is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 68
Posts: 1,284
Niced 281 Times in 150 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle pennybags View Post
Is that actually a rule? Around my parts if you throw out re-tee's happen after all the initial tee shots. And you keep rotating through the box until everyone is good.
https://www.pdga.com/rules/official-...isc-golf/80202

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 10-11-2019, 06:25 PM
DG_player DG_player is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 556
Niced 160 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think that is more about the asinine rule that the first player keeps throwing when faced with a re-throw instead of each player teeing off and then those that need to re-throw going again. Not so much the selection of the first hole of the playoff.

I've never agreed with the idea of the thrower holding the box until he's in-bounds.
I think it's more than that. It's the difficulty of the shot and the extreme punitive nature of the penalty. Whatever the result is for the first players throw, it is going to give you a huge information advantage to alter your strategy.

Look at the other par 3s (I don't know the exact hole numbers): The one with the posts, you're still going to try and park it no matter your opponents shot. The beach hole, even in the unlikely event your opponent goes OB, you're not going to change much, since they'll have a 45 footer for par. And the triple mando, you're going to try and throw it through no matter what your opponent does (maybe you'll throw to the mouth if they totally miss the mando).

And with par 4s you can change the advantage by out throwing your opponents drive and insuring you have the 2nd approach shot.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 10-12-2019, 07:22 AM
uncle pennybags uncle pennybags is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Years Playing: 4.5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 376
Niced 130 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
Well....huh. You learned me something!
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 10-13-2019, 04:39 AM
Chains Bailey Chains Bailey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 106
Niced 43 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_player View Post
So...

The women and men bring in fairly equal amounts of revenue to US Soccer (assuming you believe that sponsorship and broadcast are 50/50), but FIFA globally generates more revenue from men than women, so US men should make 2.5 times what US women soccer players make?
A common mistake is to try to compare the two teams in general. If you look at the numbers I posted earlier, the two teams bring in nothing close to the same numbers OVERALL. Sponsorship and broadcast has become near 50/50, but that is just one of many streams of revenue being measured. The conversation is being forced into a discussion of gender and two teams, when in reality they should be viewed as separate. Yet, to show the errors of the "Equal Pay" narrative, you have to dive into side by side comparisons.



Short version:
1. The two teams could simply be looked at as two separate entities - Separate CBAs
2. There are reasonable paths to take to advocate the USWNT get paid more
3. The SJWs, as usual, hurt their so called "cause" with disinformation and virtue signaling


Extended version:

1. Both teams have separate CBAs (Collective Bargaining Agreements), so in essence are not one entity. Simply put, if you look at both from a business perspective it becomes easy to understand.

Group A generates $X and is entitled / earned X%
Group B generates $X and is entitled / earned X%

If both groups generate the SAME $X then each should be entitled to the SAME %.
If Group A generates TWICE the $X then they should be entitled / earn 2X%.
As of now, one group earns more of a % while generating less $X - that is unfair.

2. A realistic approach would to simply advocate that the USWNT earn MORE money period. Advocate that the USWNT should have an increase in their pay because they are the best in Women's soccer. Advocate that they renegotiate their CBA with the leverage of world titles and popularity.

3. The major problems arise when SJWs attempt to insert "Equal Pay" into the equation. They disregard avenues like I pointed out in #2 above and make it a gender issue, which is not only irrelevant, but cuts the argument off at the knees. With the SJW misinformation, social media takes on the "Equal Pay" mantra without ever looking at the real numbers. The women would make less money if the were to adapt the USMNTs pay scale (Equal Pay).

Using these examples the women would make so much less:
The 2015 WOMENS World Cup - $73 million - players got 13%.
The 2010 MENS World Cup - $4 billion - players got 9%.

MENS World Cup (Russia) - $6 billion - players got less than 7 percent of overall revenue.
2019 WOMENS World Cup - $131 million - players got more than 20 percent of collected revenue.

If the SJW narrative was met:
2105 - the USWNT would receive 9% of $73 million verse 13%
2019 - the USWNT would receive <7% of $131 million verse >20%


TLDR - Advocate for the USWNT to be paid more via their CBA because they truly deserve it. SJW misguided narrative of demanding "Equal Pay" as the USMNT results in the USWNT making less than they do now and only serves to muddy legitimate discussion.


I have tried to sum it up and accept the posters who block me or are not fans of essays. Another character flaw I have is an OCD approach to conversations. In an attempt to be thorough, walls of text appear - even trying to be succinct, I often fail.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 10-13-2019, 05:13 PM
DG_player DG_player is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 556
Niced 160 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
MENS World Cup (Russia) - $6 billion - players got less than 7 percent of overall revenue.
2019 WOMENS World Cup - $131 million - players got more than 20 percent of collected revenue.
How much FIFA makes globally off of men or women is irrelevant. Do you know how much of the prize pool the US men collected? $0 That's right, they didn't even qualify.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 372
Niced 161 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
a big ol bunch of LOL
come up with real examples, not hypothetical ones, to make your argument persuasive
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 PM
Flick Maniac's Avatar
Flick Maniac Flick Maniac is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jokela, Southern Finland
Posts: 1,811
Niced 698 Times in 377 Posts
Default

aaaaaargh

just

aaaaaaaaaargh guys

Niced: (3)
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 10-22-2019, 07:37 PM
Chains Bailey Chains Bailey is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 106
Niced 43 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdeforge View Post
come up with real examples, not hypothetical ones, to make your argument persuasive
Your ability to not accept facts is not my personal problem.

Nothing hypothetical presented overall, the numbers are "Real examples" and so is the other factual information I provided.

My "argument" is not "persuasive" at all - the information I provided (In reference to the National soccer teams) is simply correct.
Reply With Quote
 

  #460  
Old 10-23-2019, 10:13 AM
robdeforge robdeforge is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Courses Played: 1
Posts: 372
Niced 161 Times in 86 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chains Bailey View Post
Your ability to not accept facts is not my personal problem.

Nothing hypothetical presented overall, the numbers are "Real examples" and so is the other factual information I provided.

My "argument" is not "persuasive" at all - the information I provided (In reference to the National soccer teams) is simply correct.
the post that I quoted was the "The example is hypothetical but all to real at times." but thanks for trying
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jomez Productions Flick Maniac Tournaments & Leagues 404 11-09-2019 01:38 AM
Jomez Appreciation Thread Titan037 General Disc Golf Chat 5 08-19-2019 04:03 PM
Jomez tour turbosteve General Disc Golf Chat 83 12-05-2018 05:42 PM
Tensor, Sabertooth, DX Jomez Teebird youdidwell The Marketplace 1 08-23-2018 10:00 PM
Why Do You Like Jomez? Zanguini General Disc Golf Chat 73 06-03-2018 08:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.